Questions about micro coils + cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

qfivenine

Dec 21, 2013
At my place
I have a few questions regarding micro coil + cotton builds.

1. Horizontal coils: what is the deal here? Are they supposed to be better in some ways? What are the benefits of horizontal micro coils with cotton?

2. If you forget about the liquid going empty in your tank and you use cotton / continue to vape, it starts to taste slightly burnt (I don't mean vaping on completely dry cotton). Are you supposed to change the cotton after that? I made the experience that if you don't let it go dry completely, the burnt taste goes away after you fill your tank again.

Thank you.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
I have a few questions regarding micro coil + cotton builds.

1. Horizontal coils: what is the deal here? Are they supposed to be better in some ways? What are the benefits of horizontal micro coils with cotton?

2. If you forget about the liquid going empty in your tank and you use cotton / continue to vape, it starts to taste slightly burnt (I don't mean vaping on completely dry cotton). Are you supposed to change the cotton after that? I made the experience that if you don't let it go dry completely, the burnt taste goes away after you fill your tank again.

Thank you.

Horizontal coils...... a slightly better taste of the juice and less vapor ( my experience) I stopped using this set up, not worth the trouble to me.

Burnt cotton... yes you are right on both points...but in my experience, that would have shortened the life of the cotton... as in will start to taste bad a whole lot quicker. I just change the .01 cents worth of cotton and go about my buisness.

Last edited:

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
Hey thunderball, I know youre a russian/KFL+ user... How about telling us about youre preferred setup? pictures would be awesome. I've got the KFL+ and loving it. But it seems like after 2days of vaping, my vapor production goes way down so I tear it apart. Thats when I find the coil really gunked up. SO I remove the cotton, burn the coil clean and rewick and good to go again. I'm running horizontal coils, 28g around a 1.5mm drill bit usually 8wraps I think. shows 1.2-1.4 ohms. I'd like to try the vertical coil.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Hey thunderball, I know youre a russian/KFL+ user... How about telling us about youre preferred setup? pictures would be awesome. I've got the KFL+ and loving it. But it seems like after 2days of vaping, my vapor production goes way down so I tear it apart. Thats when I find the coil really gunked up. SO I remove the cotton, burn the coil clean and rewick and good to go again. I'm running horizontal coils, 28g around a 1.5mm drill bit usually 8wraps I think. shows 1.2-1.4 ohms. I'd like to try the vertical coil.

What are you using for juice? Mine last a good week before needing a rebuild

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
Hey rick I'm running or rather vaping 50/50 16mg juice from creatacig called kind berry. I've been vaping at 10watts (I have an evic) I typically go thru about 4-5ml per day. After sucking down 10ml, my coil is total crud and vapor drops quickly. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, I kinda thought this might be normal.. ?

Could just be your juice. Some juice just likes to gunk up coils.

Here's mine getting ready to be changed.

DSCN2762sm_zpscd90c8de.jpg

Oh, so you don't replace the cotton every day?

I replace it every tankful, and dry burn the coil. I am using a lot of cinnamon mixed with strawberry lemonade (great flavor figured out by accident) and it gunks up my coil pretty quickly.

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
I'm not entirely sure this will work, but its worth a shot... Try using something just a little smaller to wrap on and add a wrap or two get get the ohms back up. Also make sure that the coil is completely compressed. If that doesn't work its probably the juice you are using. What mod are you driving that with? Did you have a wick over it too?

Last edited:

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
Thanks bender for the suggestions.. I have not put a wick over it. The coil is completely compressed. I am driving it with an evic. :-/ I need to bend over and buy a semovar. When you say get the ohms back up, do you mean say 1.6-2.0? The lowest ohm coil I have been able to fire with the evic is 1.1ohms. It sure seems the 28g 1.4ohm coil takes nearly 3secs to start to produce vapor for me. I'm about to go back to 30g kanthal.

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Thanks bender for the suggestions.. I have not put a wick over it. The coil is completely compressed. I am driving it with an evic. :-/ I need to bend over and buy a semovar. When you say get the ohms back up, do you mean say 1.6-2.0? The lowest ohm coil I have been able to fire with the evic is 1.1ohms. It sure seems the 28g 1.4ohm coil takes nearly 3secs to start to produce vapor for me. I'm about to go back to 30g kanthal.

No, what I meant by "getting the ohms back up was when you use a smaller instrument to wrap on your ohms will drop down too because you have less total wire. By adding another wrap or two it will get back to where it was. Oh and I have had 2 evic's and they actually lag almost a whole second before they fire and then ramps up to whatever voltage or wattage you have it set for. I have experimented for countless hours trying to get rid of that lag, and it isn't possible with the evic because it is programmed to do that.

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
Gotcha bender. I'll give it a whirl after this tankful. It's working like a dream right now, but I know it wont last. How I love the kayfun! I REALLY gotta convince the wife to let me pickup the semovar. I know what you mean by the lag. I like the evic, only paid 60bucks at my local vape shop. They had them on sale so I snagged a spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread