Questions about blue foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland
Yes - When using a piece of blue foam for the fist time, the liquid doesn't wick real well through it. Once the foam is coated with juice, the juice flows more freely though it.

This. I do it by putting the foam in first and then dripping into it. It absorbs liquid every fast the second time and every time after that but the first time you have to wait several seconds for each drop to absorb. It is just something to do with the structural properties of the foam I guess.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
can anyone tell me the best measurements for use in a mega eGo type B cylindrical cartridge?

I basically do it by eye.
I cut it in a "T" shape. Thick on top to create a plug effect and the vertical bottom I cut narrow for wicking which leaves room in the cartridge so it holds more juice. Seems to get more mileage out of a 510 cartridge with this filler and cut. Also use it on my eGo Mega Carts.

Make sure you keep the foam wet, don't let it dry out or any type of filler would burn if it drys out. Yeah, the blue foam tastes nasty when it burns. It's cheap enough to discard it after it burns and replace it with a new piece instead of washing it out. Also, push down the filler so it a little below the end of the cart.

Update:
Over the course of time I have found that the consistency of the eLiquid has a lot to do with how tight / how thick you should cut your foam.
I have found that if you are using a lot of VG that you should NOT make it to wide on top to allow the thicker VG base liquid to seep through.
See: Blue Foam

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA
Thank you all!
I just cut a piece of the rinsed and dried Marineland Rite size U foam into a rectangle 3/8" wide and 1/4" long, placed 12 drops Ms T's Snickerdoodle into the cart, inserted the foam and patiently put about 4 more drops in and allowed it to saturate. I then blew out the atty, put it all together again and it's working perfectly. No gurgling.... plenty of vapor.
My god this snickerdoodle is good! Cigarettes never tasted this good, that's for sure.

MsBree

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2010
New Jersey
www.precious-pets.org
Thank you all!
I just cut a piece of the rinsed and dried Marineland Rite size U foam into a rectangle 3/8" wide and 1/4" long, placed 12 drops Ms T's Snickerdoodle into the cart, inserted the foam and patiently put about 4 more drops in and allowed it to saturate. I then blew out the atty, put it all together again and it's working perfectly. No gurgling.... plenty of vapor.
My god this snickerdoodle is good! Cigarettes never tasted this good, that's for sure.

That's awesome Carless! What's the PG/VG on that juice?

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA
That's awesome Carless! What's the PG/VG on that juice?

I'm not sure, really. It's 18mg/ml nicotine, but she doesn't disclose her pg/vg ratios except to say that her juices do contain more vg than pg.
Her exact quote is: "All E-Juices are created with Ms T's special proprietary mix of VG and PG. The exact ratio will not be disclosed to the public, but it does contain more VG than PG."

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA
What exactly is the blue foam used for? Is it a wicking substitute for the cotton batting in my normal cartridge? or is this a model specic kind of thing? :)

Yes. It's a wicking substitute and many here say it works better than the white stuff that comes in the carts we buy.
As breaktru says, fluval is said to work well also. Both products can be found at pet stores.

Maxine

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
Maine
I found that Fluval is just as good as Blue Foam.

I haven't tried the Fluval yet but I've read good things. Once I figured out what size to cut the blue foam to my liking, it's been too easy to slap it on the paper cutter and slice up a bunch. I'd like to experiment with all of it, though - don't want to miss out on a chance for a better vape.

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA
I haven't tried the Fluval yet but I've read good things. Once I figured out what size to cut the blue foam to my liking, it's been too easy to slap it on the paper cutter and slice up a bunch. I'd like to experiment with all of it, though - don't want to miss out on a chance for a better vape.

Thank you Reggie! I've got one of those paper cutters with the round blades on it I can use! Can't believe I hadn't thought of that yet.
I guess my avatar was a good choice after all, huh?

MsBree

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2010
New Jersey
www.precious-pets.org
I'm not sure, really. It's 18mg/ml nicotine, but she doesn't disclose her pg/vg ratios except to say that her juices do contain more vg than pg.
Her exact quote is: "All E-Juices are created with Ms T's special proprietary mix of VG and PG. The exact ratio will not be disclosed to the public, but it does contain more VG than PG."

I've heard of Ms T's, but don't know anything about them! As long as you're enjoying it, vape on... :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I'm noticing two differences, and wondering if they are an indication of any problems.

1) The foam seems to "gurgle" a bit when I puff.

2) Not as much vapor comes out on the first puff as with the fluval/polyfill I'm used to. It takes a couple of puffs. I was wondering if the foam tends to flood the atty at all?

Thanks in advance.

These are Classic signs of "Over Filling". Make a mental note of what the blue foam looked like just before you put the last 2 or 3 drops in. That's the amount you want to be using. Wet but not Slushy.

texastumbleweed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2008
DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!
thank you so much for the reply!

I basically do it by eye.
I cut it in a "T" shape. Thick on top to create a plug effect and the vertical bottom I cut narrow for wicking which leaves room in the cartridge so it holds more juice. Seems to get more mileage out of a 510 cartridge with this filler and cut. Also use it on my eGo Mega Carts.

Make sure you keep the foam wet, don't let it dry out or any type of filler would burn if it drys out. Yeah, the blue foam tastes nasty when it burns. It's cheap enough to discard it after it burns and replace it with a new piece instead of washing it out. Also, push down the filler so it a little below the end of the cart.

Update:
Over the course of time I have found that the consistency of the eLiquid has a lot to do with how tight / how thick you should cut your foam.
I have found that if you are using a lot of VG that you should NOT make it to wide on top to allow the thicker VG base liquid to seep through.
See: Blue Foam

dekalbave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA, United States
These are Classic signs of "Over Filling". Make a mental note of what the blue foam looked like just before you put the last 2 or 3 drops in. That's the amount you want to be using. Wet but not Slushy.

Thanks for that response. I'm used to letting the polyfill get "slushy", so I'll remember from now on that it's too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread