• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Question on the new Ego P.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyroad

Life is Good
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2010
Indiana
I just saw a review(couldn't hear much of it) by Smokie about an Ego with P.T.
1. Does it have some sort of switch to turn on and off so I can use it just as a P.T.
2. If not, is the battery charging while your using it as a P.T. and if so, when the battery is fully charged can you keep using it as a P.T. without affecting the battery's overall life span.
3. As you can see I kinda don't get it!! How long is it suppose to last let's say just using it as a P.T.

I want one I think...what do you guys think?

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I just saw a review(couldn't hear much of it) by Smokie about an Ego with P.T.
1. Does it have some sort of switch to turn on and off so I can use it just as a P.T.
No
2. If not, is the battery charging while your using it as a P.T. and if so, when the battery is fully charged can you keep using it as a P.T. without affecting the battery's overall life span.
Yes to both
3. As you can see I kinda don't get it!! How long is it suppose to last let's say just using it as a P.T.
It will last as long as the battery would. Unlike other batts, LI Ion does not have a memory ans hence partial charges etc do not count as a charge per se.

As time goes by and the battery provides power, the battery chemistry deteriorates and forms what is called rock content in the cell (think of it as cholesterol). As time goes by, as this rock content increases with use (this is normal), the total availability of the battery to accept a charge decreases = less vaping time. The battery itself doesn't care whether you are using it as a PT or not.

That being said, stressing a battery will increase the internal resistance of the battery and increase the formation of the rock content proportionately, decreasing the overall lifespan of said battery.

What it does do, is that you always have a battery that is 90% charged (unless allowed to fully recharge before unplugging). It permits the user to plug into a power source, vape and then unplug. You are using current at a faster rate than what is provided by the charging rate, and in essence can actually discharge a battery using it as a PT (in theory), but as no one vapes that much, it is a moot point

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
I just got mine from VapeMasters.com for $25 shipped. Really cool device. One thing though, when it is used as a PT, it does drain the batt slightly. I know this because the charge LED comes on while using it as a PT. It actually seems to hit alittle harder when plugged in. Could be allowing higher drain as a result of the USB connection. Works great! Two of these and I wouldn't have bought a kit. I still like my SS and KR8 autos, when I am just kicking back, but to get a nice big hit I keep the USB eGo filled and ready.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks for the explanations. I am ready for someone to make the Ego mod. You know, just slightly wider in width and length, a button that doesn't fail, everything else the same except I charge the batteries that go into the mod. This would surely make me happy.

Build a box mod and get a dead eGo batt from someone. I was just thinking of that, using an eGo batt connector on a box mod would be awesome. All the benefits of the Mega atty and all the benefits of the cheap batts for the box mod. All in one.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Build a box mod and get a dead eGo batt from someone. I was just thinking of that, using an eGo batt connector on a box mod would be awesome. All the benefits of the Mega atty and all the benefits of the cheap batts for the box mod. All in one.

Dang :( why didn't I think of that. I lost a batt a month or so ago and just tossed it :(:( great idea for my next one.

Wrt draining your batt while charging - that is normal as you are using more current than what is being supplied. The stick does the same thing.

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
I dislike the cord with that angled mini usb connection also.

But - it is a standard mini ubs cord - I had a couple of others that were straight back instead of at an angle - one that came with a usb hub and one I bought for $3 from cybervex when I bought my bartleby (Bartleby). I am sure you can get one cheap almost place they sale electronics.

stubear62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2009
Myrtle Beach, SC
Hey,
The angle of the mini usb (90 drgrees) is suppose to be so that when you hole the eGo while the mini plug was in it, the button would be either to the top (for the fore finger) or the bottom (for thumb usage) and while it is a good concept, it never came into play. They just stick the mini usb adaptor into the casing of the eGo and however it was, it was. Mine is so that its not easy to use as a 'usb' P/T and upsets me. But I just charge it like that and thats it.
The manufacturer never really took time to make sure these were the way thwey should have been.
So, to me it is now a hit or miss deal on how the mini adaptor is sitting with-in the eGo housing.
Either stop using the 90 degree plug and use the older style straight one (like V1 and V2 of the stick) or set the usb adaptor with-in the eGo housing so it is where its most comfortable for the user.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Hey,
The angle of the mini usb (90 drgrees) is suppose to be so that when you hole the eGo while the mini plug was in it, the button would be either to the top (for the fore finger) or the bottom (for thumb usage) and while it is a good concept, it never came into play. They just stick the mini usb adaptor into the casing of the eGo and however it was, it was. Mine is so that its not easy to use as a 'usb' P/T and upsets me. But I just charge it like that and thats it.
The manufacturer never really took time to make sure these were the way thwey should have been.
So, to me it is now a hit or miss deal on how the mini adaptor is sitting with-in the eGo housing.
Either stop using the 90 degree plug and use the older style straight one (like V1 and V2 of the stick) or set the usb adaptor with-in the eGo housing so it is where its most comfortable for the user.

I guess it might be a good idea for future purchasers to request that the supplier check it before it goes out. Not all suppliers will, but the good ones do.

rockyroad

Life is Good
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2010
Indiana
I'm just going to guess and say the ego and all of it's brothers and sisters are the top selling devices in the market(excluding the cigarette shaped one's) Of course that's just a guess. If I am right, why or how hard would it be to make an ego mod? The same design except we charge the batteries to put in it. I would like to see one made that takes the trust fire 18650 2400 mah battery. But even half that would IMO sell out week after week for quite some time. Of course that is just my OP about it. Would it cost too much? Is there a patent that would prohibit this. If one of you guys who makes mods would like to try this I would certainly but one.

pedromj

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Tokyo
The problem is in the compactness. An eGo is much more compact than other mods using generic batteries (as the 18650). The mere fact of changing its battery with a generic one will make it wider because the battery itself is wider than the one inside the eGo. I love the eGo and I'd love to see such a mod but I worry it is impossible to make.

rockyroad

Life is Good
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2010
Indiana
The problem is in the compactness. An eGo is much more compact than other mods using generic batteries (as the 18650). The mere fact of changing its battery with a generic one will make it wider because the battery itself is wider than the one inside the eGo. I love the eGo and I'd love to see such a mod but I worry it is impossible to make.

I have no problem with a bit wider. None at all. Not even a bit longer. None at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread