Status
Not open for further replies.

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
Hey:

I vape heavily-mentholated fruit flavors exclusively. I've started making my own liquids and I'm still trying to get them right. I've got mostly TFA (ripe banana, juicy peach, watermelon, apple) and some Cap (blueberry, sweet strawberry, raspberry).

I know that a good starting point is 10-15% of flavoring. Sometimes my flavoring seems a bit too strong and the flavor almost tastes acrid to me. For example, I like watermelon/menthol. I used 15% TFA watermelon and 7% menthol, but it just tastes like it's too much watermelon.

So my question is, since I mentholate everything...

should that be 10-15% of fruit flavoring and then the menthol on top of that (I usually vape 4-7% menthol), or should I be reducing the amount of fruit flavoring (for example 8% apple 7% menthol) since I'm also using menthol as a flavor?

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
I like to use 10% total on all my flavors .ie 5% one and 5% of the other .But for good menthol flavor I use 3% menthol and
3% kolada it gives it that coolness without all the menthol flavor

Okay so if, for example, you were to make the above mentioned menthol mix with watermelon, would you use 4% watermelon, 3% menthol, 3% koolada? Or would you use 10% watermelon and then the menthol/koolada on top of that?

I know that you said "10% for all flavoring" but I didn't know if you were including menthol as 'flavoring'?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
I would suggest you get your fruit flavor where you want it first, and 10-15% may be way too strong for some, then add your menthol.

How much flavor could vary wildly from brand to brand, and even flavor to flavor.

What kind of menthol are you using? I make my menthol 1:1 menthol crystals : PGA, and the thought of 7% of that makes me :shock: . So the strength of the menthol will make a big difference.

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
I would suggest you get your fruit flavor where you want it first, and 10-15% may be way too strong for some, then add your menthol.

How much flavor could vary wildly from brand to brand, and even flavor to flavor.

What kind of menthol are you using? I make my menthol 1:1 menthol crystals : PGA, and the thought of 7% of that makes me :shock: . So the strength of the menthol will make a big difference.

graffinfected

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
ORLANDO, FL.
I find TPA menthol to be a very strong flavor. I would suggest using less menthol in your mix.

i agree with you.. the menthol is strong.. but sense the OP wasn't complaining about the menthol..

i suggest to do exactly wqhat tidegirl says.. start off by getting your flavoring percentage right.. (by the way.. lorann's watermelon is my favorite watermelon, have you tried it yet?)

if the watermelon was too strong at 10% lower it to 6 or 5% basicly cut it in half and see how that is for you. When mixing and trying something out for the first time.. start by mixing a little amount so that you dont have to throw out too much (unless your keeping it for other mixtures of course) maybe start with 3ml's.. see if you like it, then make a nice big batch..

if the watermelon is too mild at 5% then try mixing a drop of lemon juice in the mix. it might make that watermelon shine through a little more.. OR.. mix it again at 7 or 10% and calm it down a little with some smooth.. or EM something to mask it a little.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
The problem with menthol is it intensifies the flavor you add, always mix your menthol mix to the strength you like and then add flavoring to it a little at a time until you find the balance you like. graffinfected is inline with what I would suggest. Make your menthol mix and then add 5% flavor and go up from there. Work with small batches (30ml) to get where you want it, and then record you finding. Always take notes so you remember what you added. 30ml to me is a small batch, I do not deal in drops or <30ml test, that way I can measure in percentages so I can make bigger batches with the same results. My smallest batch I usually make is 100ml.

So in recap, mix a plain menthol batch and get it to where it is perfect for you, then add flavor. Take notes!!
Capice?
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread