Question about the Ads on here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
Okay, some of the Ads on here... I can't find the companies being advertised in the "suppliers" section. Do the ads not apply to who ECF approves as a supplier? Example: I saw an ad for Blu but couldn't find them on the approved suppliers list.

Anyone know?

Good question!

Yes there are lots and lots of ECF-registered suppliers, but there is no such thing as a list of them available.

What you see in the supplier section of subforums is only a small portion of suppliers which happened to be available at the time, and those 'extra' subforums (as I think of them), have all been used up, but the number of ECF-registered suppliers kept growing and growing even more.

... However,...

There is a supplier forum , where ECF-registered suppliers and all of us can post, look for the Supplier forum in the buying and selling section, here:

Supplier forum of ECF

I have it in my favorites under vaping :thumb:

Last edited:

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
Good question!

Yes there are lots and lots of ECF-registered suppliers, but there is no such thing as a list of them available.

What you see in the supplier section of subforums is only a small portion of suppliers which happened to be available at the time, and those 'extra' subforums (as I think of them), have all been used up, but the number of ECF-registered suppliers kept growing and growing even more.

... However,...

There is a supplier forum , where ECF-registered suppliers and all of us can post, look for the Supplier forum in the buying and selling section, here:

Supplier forum of ECF

I have it in my favorites under vaping :thumb:

Hey, thanks for your answer that was incredibly helpful. Why isn't there an actual available list of the registered suppliers? I think there should be! It would be really nice not only for the consumers on here (like me) but also for the suppliers to get their name recognized. Do you know how the forum works for the suppliers that actually have a sub-forum? Do they rotate the slots so other suppliers can get a spot on there? Sorry about all the questions I'm kind of confused :)

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
These are all good questions, Elandil answered quite a bit of them, I wondered about the same thing.

I don't think a list would be available, because... well actually I don't remember asking why, but I'm thinking that it keeps growing, and that it may not be ECF's specialty or responsibility. The supplier forum seems to be working great tho, and lets suppliers make an effort to be recognized.

PaulSpikey, I also don't see ads all the time, but sometimes I do. Earlier today, I saw ads for about 2 or 3 ECF-registered suppliers, but at this instant I don't see any.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@Xanax
We choose not to show a list of Suppliers for several reasons - practical reasons (the work involved in reconciling a dozen lists), commercial reasons, political reasons, and the simple fact that it would need updating daily. There are hundreds now - and between 10 and 20 more are reviewed and registered here every week (about one-third are rejected). Because this is a global site the supplier lists are global - and fairly comprehensive.

There are many different Supplier groups as it is now quite complex. For example there are Registered Suppliers (the main group), Forum Suppliers (a group capped at 80 who have a subforum), Accessory Suppliers, and Manufacturers & Wholesalers, who have a private forum that can only be viewed by other Suppliers. There are several more as well. In fact the Supplier system, its management and the issues raised by the interaction of the various supplier groups and the community, is by far the most complex part of the site.

Essentially: trying to publish such a list would create yet more work that we don't need as we are maxed out and we have a duty to keep costs down, there are good reasons not to do so, and there are no benefits that we can see. Anyone who needs something can find exactly what they need in a Supplier Forum, or in the open Suppliers Forum, or by making a request in the forum specifically for that purpose. Or google it - using our integral Google search facility.

Supplier forum rotation and similar issues: there have been may posts about this and there are answers to all these questions in the Stickies. Forums are listed in order of tenure at ECF, longest-serving at the top, new ones come in at the bottom and move up as others are removed for non-compliance such as the Supplier not posting in their forum. The list is also available in alphabetical order and by location for those who want those arrangements.

@PaulS
You can't see ads because you are logged in as a Supplier. Only Guests and Members see ads. Logout and check please. (Logout, clear cookies, close and re-open browser if necessary. It may be necessary to clear browsing history.)

Also we have an extremely low level of advertising on this site compared to almost all other sites that have ads - we only show the bulk of them on pages with actual posts, not all the other pages such as the forum front page, forum lists and post lists. It would be possible to raise the number shown (ie, increase the 'inventory' in trade speak) but this would make ads more visible and we don't choose to do that at this time.

It means the site is very 'clean' as regards advert visibility. It would be easy to increase them and earn more but that detracts from the user experience in our view; and ECF, as we continually have to point out, is not about making heaps of money at the expense of users or the trade.

ECF was the first e-cigarette website to be organised properly and from Day 1 the founder knew what needed to be done in order that ecigarettes become a legitimate consumer product accepted by all: the very highest standards had to be maintained and enforced. Over the years this has resulted in many complaints, and the incredible success of the site has engendered a strong measure of jealousy - but you will have to decide for yourself whether the site has succeeded in its mission. At over 100,000 posts per month on the forum, 15 million pageviews a month, and the site's commonly-heard testimonial of, "The cleanest and best-run forum I have ever seen", it seems to be working.

Entire ecigarette businesses have been built up from exposure on ECF, and Members have access to the best supplies at the widest choice of prices and the best service available. Our news, campaigning, technical reference and medical sections are not just the best available - they are an order of magnitude better than anything else out there. Currently, legislation issues are occupying the interest of many in the community and trade and we have to stay up to date on that situation in several countries.

So the work continues; but unfortunately the supply and maintenance of a global list of Suppliers is not high on our list of priorities just now, there are one or two other things higher on the agenda...

Last edited:

BigDaddyRog

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Slidell, LA
www.facebook.com
Considering the 40,000 plus members, and the potential market on this site alone....I am VERY happy that you guys arent CRAMMING ADS down our throats. Its great to see that you guys arent money grubbing the heck out of every page. Kuddos to ECF for keeping it to a minimum for a better surfing experience for the users of this board!!

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
BigDaddyRog said:
Considering the 40,000 plus members, and the potential market on this site alone....I am VERY happy that you guys arent CRAMMING ADS down our throats. Its great to see that you guys arent money grubbing the heck out of every page. Kuddos to ECF for keeping it to a minimum for a better surfing experience for the users of this board!!
Quoted for truth

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@JJ2
Sounds like spyware to me. Something hijacks your browser and takes you to a scam site, that has already been shut down by an ISP somewhere. Your browser is hijacked by local malware (something on your machine) that shows you an ad with a link to the target site (could be more malware there, or just commercial, but it's been shut down).

1. Don't use Internet Exploder, use a browser such as Firefox
2. Don't use Outlook Excess for email, use a secure client like Thunderbird
3. Use a real firewall like Online Armor, the Windows 'firewall' isn't one (it doesn't stop any outbound traffic such as malware phoning home, so it can only be 50% of a firewall at best)
4. Use a good a/v like Avast
5. Use a good antispyware scanner like A-Squared

If you install and run all that lot, and you were already running Firefox, and still get your browser hijacked, then uninstall Firefox, go to Program Files and delete the folder, set all folders & files visible, search the machine for firefox, delete any files/folders found in Application Data etc. Then set system files&folders to Hidden again.

Reinstall Ffx. Only download Ffx and Tbird from the Mozilla central website, there are dozens of scam sites with Firefox downloads that contain spyware already, they are on page 1 of google results for 'download firefox', don't get one of those...

Last edited:

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I use FireFox but IE is on the computer because hubby doesn't like (as in won't use) Firefox. Did setup to run ZoneAlarm & Malware last night. Son stayed over last night and took care of whatever the results were this morning. Not having any trouble today but keeping fingers crossed.

If I do, I'll proceed with other suggestions.

TY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread