Question about taste (eRoll vs. v2 vs. Blu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Cox

Feb 8, 2013
Denver
So I got into vaping a couple of months ago, starting with Blu disposables. I really enjoyed them, but the cost being a bit prohibitive, I started researching alternatives and ended up reading a ton of threads about how the Blu cigs are inferior to most other products. So I first got a v2 kit, and then a Blu rechargeable, then an eRoll.

So my question is: should all ecigs have a similar taste with different hardware? Because my experience has been the exact opposite. Using the same smoke juice (a variety of Johnson's Creek Red Oak flavors) I've found that the flavor is very different between the different models I've tried. The v2s always had a bit of a gross plastic taste, so I gave up on them. I thoroughly cleaned some Blu cartos, and filled with the same juice I had in the eRoll. I find that the Blu has a much smoother, less harsh flavor compared to the eRoll, but the vapor production on the eRoll is much better.

It seems like the eRoll is a much superior piece of hardware, but I really prefer the taste of the Blu. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just the nature of different voltage, different atomizer, etc. I was really hoping to get the flavor comparable to the Blu but with better hardware using the eRoll, but I've been disappointed so far. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Ruth-Ann

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Here is what I have learned in a my short vape life.
1. Each setup will vary, clearo vs carto vs atty & cart.
They have different wick systems, volts, ohms ect.
2. Different VG/pg mixes work better in different systems.
High VG is thick so may not wick as well as higher pg.
3. The intensity of flavour varies as well as TH and vape temp depending on system,
But the actual flavour doesn't change much.

I just got my eRoll today and I am in love! I have never tried a Blu, but the flavour in my eRoll is not much different then my ego-c/stardust setup. Are u sure your atty (eRoll) is primed/wet enough? You may be getting a bit of a dry hit, that would screw up the taste.

Hopefully I have helped a bit, but one of the vets can help you more.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
It seems like the eRoll is a much superior piece of hardware, but I really prefer the taste of the Blu. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just the nature of different voltage, different atomizer, etc. I was really hoping to get the flavor comparable to the Blu but with better hardware using the eRoll, but I've been disappointed so far. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Blu juice is 100% VG which does mute flavor but is much smoother than a PG juice (throat irritant). Because VG mutes flavor they prolly add extra flavor. As for the eRoll it fires @ 3.7 volts whereas the V2 fires @ 3.7 and Blu fires @ a lower voltage, prolly around 3.3?

Last edited:

Calam

Feb 25, 2013
California
I'm pretty sure V2 standard auto batteries fire at 3.7-4.0 Volts (depending on charge).

I too get a funky plasticky taste from the V2 cartomizers. I think it's got something to do with the wicking material. I'm going to order blank cartos from another vendor from now on. The battery is fine though.

I have the ego 1100 pass through and the V2, so much difference in them it's amazing

What would you say is the difference?

Last edited:

Steaming EMT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
New Jersey
Hi ruth-ann: I started with blu but it was not what I was expected nor happy. but the thing that I found out its that the johnson creek juice is the best one that I like so far so with my egos I really enjoy it. before I use a new cartomizer or an atty I blow at it and burn dry for a few sec at the time for no more than 10 secs and than fill it with the juice you like. regardless what you use the use will taste the same.

Calam

Feb 25, 2013
California
V2 Cigs e-liquid contains a tested mixture of nicotine and various food flavorings in a propylene glycol base (used in fog machines, asthma inhalers, food and toothpaste). Zero strength e-liquid contains no nicotine.
FAQ at V2 Cigs
So Blu is 100% VG and it appears V2 is all PG.

I have a 50/50 mixture that still gets a funny taste in my v2 blank cartos... but I haven't vaped enough juices to know if that consistent to the blank cartos or if that's just what PG tastes like to me.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I have a 50/50 mixture that still gets a funny taste in my v2 blank cartos... but I haven't vaped enough juices to know if that consistent to the blank cartos or if that's just what PG tastes like to me.

I gave up on cartos just before Boge Gate, SmokTek and other cartos burning out prematurely/ tasting strange...still don't know if the carto mess has been straightened out.

Chris Cox

Feb 8, 2013
Denver
I love my Eroll it does hit a lot harder then the blu disposable. I like the Eroll better because there isn't a limit on the hit you can take the blu just shuts off.

yeah, the eRoll definitely hits a lot better than the Blu, much more satisfying... but I prefer the taste of the Blu, it's just smoother and less harsh. Wondering if it might be a atomizer resistance issue, it seems like the eRoll gets the juice hotter, that might make the vape harsher. Just ordered some more of the Johnson's Creek PG free flavors, gonna try some different combos of them and see if I can get something more similar to the Blu flavor wise.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
yeah, the eRoll definitely hits a lot better than the Blu, much more satisfying... but I prefer the taste of the Blu, it's just smoother and less harsh. Wondering if it might be a atomizer resistance issue, it seems like the eRoll gets the juice hotter, that might make the vape harsher. Just ordered some more of the Johnson's Creek PG free flavors, gonna try some different combos of them and see if I can get something more similar to the Blu flavor wise.

It's probably a combination of resistance and slightly lower wattage on the Blu. And you're right, as that goes higher, the vapor gets warmer and, sometimes, harsher.

If you like the Blu, stick with it. A lot of the complaints about them are based on the first version that was put on the market. The newer ones really aren't as bad as some people would like you to think.

Chris Cox

Feb 8, 2013
Denver
It's probably a combination of resistance and slightly lower wattage on the Blu. And you're right, as that goes higher, the vapor gets warmer and, sometimes, harsher.

If you like the Blu, stick with it. A lot of the complaints about them are based on the first version that was put on the market. The newer ones really aren't as bad as some people would like you to think.

if their cartos weren't so unreasonably expensive I would, just looking for a similar alternative that's a bit more reasonable.

Vyvyene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
Hesperia , California
I am still new to vaping but i have found that a vg/pg mix tends to give me a funny taste after awhile of vaping, i do prefer a straight vg juice, however it tends to dry my cartos out quicker as it appears to be more viscous... I found that remoisturizing the inside of the carto every now and then, eliminates this and refreshens the flavor quiet well.

EnlOOow

Moved On
Mar 11, 2013
USA
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Moved On
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread