Pulled the trigger on a Reo Grand.. Please tell me that I didn't make a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
I've made so many mistakes and wasted so much money trying to figure this whole vaping thing out, however I'll do anything NOT to pick up a cigarette.

I love dripping, but I'm just too busy to drip on a regular basis, so my Provari is usually paired up with a cart/tank combination. I can't stand what cartos do to the taste of my juice and I'm really becoming nervous using silica or "poly" anything. I didn't quit analogs to end up with health problems down the road...

So... I pulled the trigger on a Reo Grand, 5= Cisco 306 1.5 ohm attys, and (3) XL contoured drip tips from Avid. I like the idea of having plety of juice integrated into the unit, and the ability to drip wherever I want. I've already got 5 18645 AW IMR batteries and a charger

Tell me that I didn't make a mistake with my purchases...

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
YOU DID NOT MAKE A MISTAKE....
i.e. there are probably easily thousands sold and you rarely see them on the classies here... why? because they are that good.
1. Great design all around.
2. Great vendor Rob is fantastic
3. Indestructible (within reason)
4. Good looking (different colors and finishes).
5. The Grand is the only one that I would use because the 18650 batt is longest lasting and great power source. Get a few. AW IMR can't be beat for mechanical or what is called "3.7" pv... true voltage on a Reo is about 3.4v. when you are using LR atomizers.

Good idea getting the LR 1.5 atomizers; you won't NOT get a vape (low resistance ensures you'll get great vapor production from a non-VV), and imo the BEST atty's for this is the Avidvaper Aero... (and the Vapage AMG hybrid B/F 1.5 ohm... they are both designed like the HH357 and are so consistently great.
I can't say enough about these atomizers, and I do have a bunch of HH357's too.
There are some b/f RBA's but these are user variable... making coils etc. When i get tired of fussing with my RBA's I always know my Hybrids are there for INSTANT GRATIFICATION.

Last edited:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I've made so many mistakes and wasted so much money trying to figure this whole vaping thing out, however I'll do anything NOT to pick up a cigarette.

I love dripping, but I'm just too busy to drip on a regular basis, so my Provari is usually paired up with a cart/tank combination. I can't stand what cartos do to the taste of my juice and I'm really becoming nervous using silica or "poly" anything. I didn't quit analogs to end up with health problems down the road...

So... I pulled the trigger on a Reo Grand, 5= Cisco 306 1.5 ohm attys, and (3) XL contoured drip tips from Avid. I like the idea of having plety of juice integrated into the unit, and the ability to drip wherever I want. I've already got 5 18645 AW IMR batteries and a charger

Tell me that I didn't make a mistake with my purchases...

Sent you a PM. So far you are not making a mistake, you have made a wise choice!

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I toyed with the idea of getting the VV, but read some less than perfect reviews on them- unlike the Grand, which is tough to find any negative reviews at all.

FYI.. I left out the work Bridgeless in my post above; I ordered the Cisco 306 1.5 ohm BRIDGELESS attys. I really want to eliminate fibrous wicking materials of any kind, so I plan to de-wick my 306 bridgeless attys. I understand it is very easy to take the wick out of these.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Randy, I've been using nothing but my Reo Grand day in and day out for well over a year now. I do have other back ups (because thats what vapers do) but I haven't touched in them in 6-8 months simply because Reo's are reliable, efficient and incredibly sturdy. I've droped Squonkers (My Grand) in the ocean, on pavement and concrete and she has yet to fail me :). She isn't the prettiest girl, fact some may say she's homley with dents scratches and hardly any color left on her body from constant use. But she is my very best friend and I wouldn't trade her for any another mod in the world. I swear you made a wise decision and will be incredibly happy.
Congrats!

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
Can you guys please answer a few questions?

**I've read that the battery spring offers protection and acts like a fuse of sorts. How does this work? What will happen to the spring if an atomizer shorts? Have you had this happen? I ordered an extra spring to have on hand..

** Will the Grand leak if not held in an upright position?

** I see reducer tubes and feed tubes listed on Reo's website. What is the difference between these two, and what are they these used for?

**Do you guys normally carry your Reo in your pants pocket? I's almost like to find a belt case for it...

Last edited:

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Hi Randy, I'll try to help....

#1. If there is a short in your Atty the spring will collapse. Dropping the batteries down and away from the firing pin preventing any further damage. I have not had this happen to me but it can happen.

#2 You can leave your Grand sitting in any position safely. They don't leak :)

#3 Feed tubes are the normal tube that comes installed on your Grand. It's good for nearly all juice. The only time you would add the reducer tube (which also comes with your order) is if your juice is extremely thin and your in a very hot climate. This can cause the juice to automatically feed, and possibly leak. I haven't had to use my reducer tube.

#4 If I'm camping, hiking, fishing I usually keep it in my cargo pants pockets or my Carhart coat pocket. For daily use I keep it in my hand bag :)
I have seen where people make leather belt cases for them. It's very popular with the guys..

Have you visited the Reo Forum yet? There are plenty ideas over there and the people are wonderful.
Good Luck!

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
You already mentioned reading Reo Grand posts, but I have to tell you I am still amazed at how Reo has held its reputation for such a long time, in all its incarnations.
Although the Grand is like 3rd gen (after first wood Reo's, then Mini, Grand, and now VV's) you can go way back and find folks that got on board and never left... and folks like me who came and hung for a while, have tried just about everything and came back to find it's damn hard to beat a Reo.
Mostly my "issues" had to do with finding and matching the right atomizers to go with a B/F and understanding how different types of coil/wick, resistance to voltages etc. and of course, you need to know how to drip to get the right amount of juice in there each time; from the bottom... tip: less is better.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
Congrats on your very WISE decision to get a REO! The 306 is a great little atomizer but has a learning curve of it's own. It's not for everyone but those that it works for swear by them. You mentioned you like to drip so you may already be well familiar with them.

Another to consider is a rebuildable like the A7. They work very well on the REO's. I wound up buying 4 of them for all my feeders. All stainless steel and only 20 bucks is a steal on these. As mentioned above, it may take a little trial and error to find the atty that works best for you on your new Grand but it's worth it. As a dripper, I think you will love the bottom feeders.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Randy, I've been using nothing but my Reo Grand day in and day out for well over a year now. I do have other back ups (because thats what vapers do) but I haven't touched in them in 6-8 months simply because Reo's are reliable, efficient and incredibly sturdy. I've droped Squonkers (My Grand) in the ocean, on pavement and concrete and she has yet to fail me :). She isn't the prettiest girl, fact some may say she's homley with dents scratches and hardly any color left on her body from constant use. But she is my very best friend and I wouldn't trade her for any another mod in the world. I swear you made a wise decision and will be incredibly happy.
Congrats!

Well gee, I almost got tears in my eyes and my CC is cringing at the back of my wallet saying, 'No please, don't abuse me again'. But that pink Reo has my name in huge flashing neon letter.... Sigh...

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Well gee, I almost got tears in my eyes and my CC is cringing at the back of my wallet saying, 'No please, don't abuse me again'. But that pink Reo has my name in huge flashing neon letter.... Sigh...

Yea, I sort of covet a reo myself, but i'd get a mini. But i'm on a spending moratorium right now. :laugh: I want to sort of cozy up to what I already have, as well as my juices......just sorta relax and enjoy with no desires.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I got m Reo in and all I can say is.... WOW. I've never experienced anything like this

A REO will give you many years of that WOW too! Using the AW IMR batteries gives the best performance with the L.R. attys and cartos.

Make sure you visit the REO forum too!
Reos Mods

Always some good reading, great information and updates on all things REO!

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I got m Reo in and all I can say is.... WOW. I've never experienced anything like this

Bro, I recently got a REO and those were pretty much my exact words. It has become the only device I use. I have the mini 18490. It is a little smaller than the grand, uses 1 battery and has a 3 ml bottle. I refill bottle at the end of the night, put in a fresh battery in the morning and i use it all day. I carry no backup device or anything else for that matter and have not been let down yet.

Going on a month with it now, I am narrowing down what cartos I like best and i am close to mastering the blind squonk. I have enjoyed the learning curve and will continue to experiment with different cartos, because it is somewhat fun to experiment.

I will get another REO in the future incase of loss or theft and I never even consider any other device. Like my Honda cars and dirtbikes, the REO is very solid, dependable and performs flawlessly.

Good luck with yours.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
Youve done well as everyone has said so far I noticed you question regarding carrying your reo. I personally use a cell phone pouch on my belt my Reo goes everywhere with me its like my soother :lol: Congrats hope you find the same pleasure with it as ....... You know what I mean :lol:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Can you guys please answer a few questions?

**Do you guys normally carry your Reo in your pants pocket? I's almost like to find a belt case for it...

MJphoto.jpg

I just started to put mine it this Maui Jim sunglass case. I do it more to keep any lint or what not from getting in it than anything. I also feel that i run no risk now of possibly messing up the carto/driptip/connections when bending down.

The case is a near perfect fit and fits perfectly in pocket of jeans (where smokes used to go)

How are you liking yer REO?

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
The Grand was my 1st Reo and it still works like a charm although I now own 7 Reo's not out of need but want I carry 2 Minis to work and the wife uses 1 also then I have a Polished VV Grand and a Stabilized burl VV Woodvil and a kicked Mini 2.0 and within the next month all of which should be sporting RBA's :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread