Provari Evic Vamo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bawn

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2011
boynton beach, FL
depends on how much you want to spend. i heard joytech has stopped or is going to stop making the evic (not sure) and its a little on the pricey side and over priced. evic has unnecessary features that just drain battery power and really have no real purpose. i have never owned one but i am sure would funtion just fine. the provari is a good device over priced in my opinion and kind of out dated because it only has vv and not vw settings. provari i bleieve also comes with a lifetime warranty that is NOT optional so its built into the price of the device which is why its significantly higher in price. it would be great if the provari was priced better and make the life time warranty optional but thats just my opinion. the provari is also machined nicely and over all built to last longer then the average device (in some peoples opinion). the provari screen is also out dated which could be a con is some peoples mind. personally i like the simple screen he provari has. the vamo is a great all round device that was vv/vw and everything else you would want in a device. i do not think the vamo is the best quality out there and built sort of cheaply. i have owned a vamo in the past. but for the price they go for its reasonable. vamo also has a oled screen which allows more info to be shown cleaner and crisper on the screen. all three of these device have extension tubes which can be removed or added to use smaller batteries or larger batteries.

personally i would forgo all of those options and look into the itaste svd because its telescopic (or any other telescopic device) and you can use any size battery you wish without replacing section tubes or extension tubes. svd has both of best worlds with vv/vw options and in my opinion looks great. the svd has a great display similar to the provari, its not a clean oled screen but not really a issue. the price point is pretty good at about $60-$70 for the device. i sold my svd but loved it and functioned perfectly, never had any issues.

thats my input. good luck and happy vaping.

Last edited:

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
I have never seen a need for a PV that can connect to my computer and tell me how much I'm vaping and share data with my friends, so I wouldn't pick an Evic. The Vamo is a nice device for it's price point, but I had trouble with the button and there have been other issues you will see in threads on this forum. The Provari is the best built of the three with good customer service and a good warranty. If those are your choices, the Provari would be the top choice due to its performance and build quality.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
A good compromise would be to get a Tesla. Solid, like the provari(true provari's are better), cheap like the vamo. Couldn't comment on the evic, never had one. As i said the Tesla is a compromise, but between the provari and the vamo. Some would disagree and say the vamo is as good as the tesla, but i'm just referring to the build quality.

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
I have two of the three you're considering—ProVari and Vamo—and I can heartily recommend either one.

That said, I've been vaping the ProVari for over a year now, and I use it daily; the ProVari is rock solid, USA-made, and ProVape will repair it for as long as you own it for a nominal fee. The output is as close to pure DC as it's possible to get in a regulated mod, and I can taste this in the vape; it is smoother than PWM models, like the Vamo. The one-button interface is a bit of a faff, but it is reliable and easy to use. IF you have the money in your budget, I'd recommend the ProVari as a first choice.

The Vamo, on the other hand, is a very capable mod for the money, and I prefer the three-button interface over the one-button ProVari by a long shot! It is very fast to see and adjust your settings, and in the tests I've run, the Vamo seems to be quite accurate. I would suggest getting the stainless steel version of the Vamo, since all of the various chrome finishes seem to fade and rub off over time. I've had my stainless steel Vamo since they first came out, and it has performed flawlessly. The Vamo is the one mod I have in which I stack 18350 batteries; the performance seems much better than in single 18650 mode, but if you're not willing to observe all the safety factors when stacking batteries (always use high-quality batteries of the same brand purchased together at the same time, keep them in matched pairs, charge them together, etc.), I'd forgo this option. All told, the Vamo is an outstanding mod at a very comfortable price.

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
Hey cbf10

Now to be honest from the beginning I have never had the evic but it seems most issues are with getting the software to download correctly which in my mind gives it a point of failure which does not effect the other mods. And yes, yes I am trying to start a rumour that new versions will have a headphone jack for mp3's

now for the
25s8z2x.gif
25s8z2x.gif
PROVARI
15euu5x.gif
15euu5x.gif

now if they could develop this with VW (DNA20ish) and telescopic and keep the quality and warranty they have now this would be the only APV anyone would ever really need or want (except for the subohm coil builders - vapings equivalent to skateboarders or *worse* drifters)

Now I currently have an MVP1 and 2 Vamos and can give you my opinion on those
MVP1 - I started out not liking it - the fire button was a pain to locate without looking due to it was flush mount, it was not VW and would not read resistance of attached coils - now the MVP2 addresses all of that it's VV and VW, has an ohm meter built in, and the button is now raised up and is easy to locate (granted some reviewers state that the pressure needed to depress the fire button is double most every other device they have seen)

The Vamo's are my most used devices - they fit my hand good and feel well balanced (in 18650 mode - disclaimer - I am 6'4" so take that into account - a friend of mine acts like she is going to fall over whenever she picks it up (wimpy little 5'nothing 99# size 0))
Now they have both worked perfectly with no issues until just recently I forgot to use the mini vivi nova beauty ring for stabilizing my protank on it and ended up stripping the 510 threads on it (yes the entire device is machined out of stainless steel EXCEPT for the 510/ego connector which is aluminum - ? your guess is as good as mine except a lot of people say it is for conductivity)

Now I do have a Sigelie Zmax3 on order (from Fasttech so maybe next year - to replace the stripped thread Vamo which I can only use with ego threaded clearos now)
VV/VW - telescopic - Oled (my vamos are v2 with the led display), removable top cap, stainless steel (not sure what the 510/ego threads are though)

to get to the point, I would grade them as follows

1. Zmax3 - more versatile due to telescopic aspect - (the 5 version comes with an attachment and firmware to allow you to charge a cell phone in an emergency - attachment appears to be quite bulky so it would need to be left in car, which in that case use your car cig lighter or usb port)
2 - the vamo 5 (has oled display and removable top cap to clean around connection threading
3 - Provari - for quality and warranty reasons - now maybe we can get them to update it if we all called in, asked if it is VW, and when they say no, say thank you, and as you are pulling the phone away say OK the Vamo it is (or zmax, or evic, or any of the VW apv's out there

Oh, and

Welcome to the ECF
9pribk.gif
295xrtd.gif
9pribk.gif

Last edited:

TFL!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Chatfield, MN, USA
I have owned 3 Vamo 2, One of them the fire button went out after 1 month, the second one the board went bad, the #3 used for one month. Then i ordered a ProVari. that is what I use every day.
Vamo: used in VW, and with certain juices with 2.5 olm, 5 w (3.54 V) would be not enough, but 5.5w (3.7v ) would give me the burnt taste. Switch to VV and set it at 3.6 V would be the sweet spot.

So VV of the ProVari no problem for me. I can fine tune the taste with VV better then I can with VW.

Just my thoughts

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I have two of the three you're considering—ProVari and Vamo—and I can heartily recommend either one.

That said, I've been vaping the ProVari for over a year now, and I use it daily; the ProVari is rock solid, USA-made, and ProVape will repair it for as long as you own it for a nominal fee. The output is as close to pure DC as it's possible to get in a regulated mod, and I can taste this in the vape; it is smoother than PWM models, like the Vamo.

I think the highest selling point for the ProVari is that it will push out whatever you set it to right up until it shuts down. According to pbusardo and others, this bad boy produces effectively no voltage lag througout the discharge cycle. And as Scott said above, it's output signal is very close to pure DC so you don't get the "rattlesnake" effect that other PWM models demonstrate.

It is for this reason alone that I am thinking of saving my pennies to eventually get one.

That being said, both the MVP 2 and the iTaste vv3 offer a very similar output signal. Both the iTaste MVP2 and vv3 have variable wattage, and provide better indication of battery charge during vaping with their green yellow and red LED's that fire when you hit the fire button. Thus they give you better warning when you need to charge. Although the Provari will give you an indication of remaining charge, you need to navigate through the menu to get it.

Both the MVP 2 and vv3 have a more intuitive user interface as well (IMHO).

Also the MVP 2 and vv3 are USB passthrough devices so you can vape while charging. The MVP can also charge your cell phone....(I heard the MVP 3 might do your dishes as well....jk)

This does not mean that the devices will replace a Provari. But for 1/3 the price of a Provari, I have two outstanding batteries with variable wattage capability which I am sure will perform nicely while I stash some of my savings from smoking towards a ProVari.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
2 are disposable, 1 is not. If you want one that will last forever and get repaired for a low cost should something ever go wrong, get a ProVari. If you want to keep buying made in China devices which will be lucky to last 1 year and give an inconsistent vape, get several of the other choices- you'll need multiples.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
2 are disposable, 1 is not. If you want one that will last forever and get repaired for a low cost should something ever go wrong, get a ProVari. If you want to keep buying made in China devices which will be lucky to last 1 year and give an inconsistent vape, get several of the other choices- you'll need multiples.

It's amazing how some ProVari members get so sensitive when you criticize their product. Especially if the criticisms are valid.

The whole "made in China" argument gets pretty stale considering the chinese basically introduced the world to vaping. If it were not for the Chinese, most of us would still be smoking stinkies.

Yes, the MVP and vv3 are "disposable" but so are the batteries inside a ProVari. As far as lasting forever, the ProVari might last forever, but if the batteries it uses are ever "discontinued" then you are left with an empty shell.

An iTaste vv3 can be had for between 30 and 50 bucks. It has a great form factor and can be used while charging via USB passthrough.

The criticisms of the ProVari, (legitimate, I might be add) are:
1. Cost: At $250.00 this is a tremendous barrier to entry for many. This is what makes the Mod's like the vv3 or MVP 2 so attractive to new vapers. They get to enter the world of mod's without the risk.

2. Feature set: While state of the art at one time, the ProVari is showing it's age. It's UI is not as elegant or as easy to use as it could be. Sure, you get used to it, but it could be much nicer. Also the ProVari has yet to implement variable wattage. This means you need to adjust the battery if you put on a coil that has a different resistance. And since the UI is not that intuitive, it is a bigger deal than it should be. Especially if you use smaller tanks like the Protank mini. Variable wattage would do a LOT to counter act this.

On the plus side, I don't think there is a mod that has better voltage regulation than the ProVari. It has excellent build quality.

I plan on purchasing a ProVari eventually. But the whole Provari or nothing argument is not only getting tired, but is pretty myopic as well.

Both the itaste vv3 and MVP offer you a very high quality vape at a reasonable price without some of the barriers to entry that the Provari currently has.

IMHO owning a ProVari has become a bit of a "status symbol" and as such there is a bit of snobbery associated with many of it's users. ProVape would do well to update the ProVari so that it maintains its reputation as a front runner.

It also would not hurt if it offered a "stripped down" version of it's product that retains it's excellent voltage regulation and build quality but with a lower price point. That way ProVape would be able get more customers in the family earlier and would win them over.

Last edited:

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
You didnt ask, but on the lower price point (37 bucks..fasttech), the SVD is hard to beat and built very well ........owning two that have been in service for about 7/8 months ( hand me downs to family members).

If you have the money to spend, the Provari is The choice. I have moved on th ProVari's myself and enjoy them.

There are pro's and cons for both of them.

They will both serve you well. I am one of those that taste the difference in the ProVari....probably due to the 800Mhz chipset.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
It's amazing how some ProVari members get so sensitive when you criticize their product. Especially if the criticisms are valid.

The whole "made in China" argument gets pretty stale considering the chinese basically introduced the world to vaping. If it were not for the Chinese, most of us would still be smoking stinkies.

Yes, the MVP and iTaste are "disposable" but so are the batteries inside a ProVari. As far as lasting forever, the ProVari might last forever, but if the batteries it uses are ever "discontinued" then you are left with an empty shell.

An iTaste vv3 can be had for between 30 and 50 bucks. It has a great form factor and can be used while charging via USB passthrough.

The criticisms of the ProVari, (legitimate, I might be add) are:
1. Cost: At $250.00 this is a tremendous barrier to entry for many. This is what makes the Mod's like the vv3 or iTaste so attractive to new vapers. They get to enter the world of mod's without the risk.

2. Feature set: While state of the art at one time, the ProVari is showing it's age. It's UI is not as elegant or as easy to use as it could be. Sure, you get used to it, but it could be much nicer. Also the ProVari has yet to implement variable wattage. This means you need to adjust the battery if you put on a coil that has a different resistance. And since the UI is not that intuitive, it is a bigger deal than it should be. Especially if you use smaller tanks like the Protank mini. Variable wattage would do a LOT to counter act this.

On the plus side, I don't think there is a mod that has better voltage regulation than the ProVari. It has excellent build quality.

I plan on purchasing a ProVari eventually. But the whole Provari or nothing argument is not only getting tired, but is pretty myopic as well.

Both the itaste vv3 and MVP offer you a very high quality vape at a reasonable price without some of the barriers to entry that the Provari currently has.

IMHO owning a ProVari has become a bit of a "status symbol" and as such there is a bit of snobbery associated with many of it's users. ProVape would do well to update the ProVari so that it maintains its reputation as a front runner.

It also would not hurt if it offered a "stripped down" version of it's product that retains it's excellent voltage regulation and build quality but with a lower price point. That way ProVape would be able get more customers in the family earlier and would win them over.

You are the only one in this thread who has criticized the ProVari; after my post.

I see your 'logic'. China made the first commercially viable e-cig., so they make the best.

Not quite sure why one would think ProVari are expensive. They cost like, what 3 cartons of cigarettes? Didn't everyone here smoke. Given the vast numbers of owners, I'd hardly call them a status symbol.

Take a look at the differences between the posts in the Evic and Vamo forums and the ProVari forum for a true comparison of customer satisfaction.

Thinking AW-modified cells will no longer be available is a bit of a joke.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
You didnt ask, but on the lower price point (37 bucks..fasttech), the SVD is hard to beat and built very well ........owning two that have been in service for about 7/8 months ( hand me downs to family members).

If you have the money to spend, the Provari is The choice. I have moved on th ProVari's myself and enjoy them.

There are pro's and cons for both of them.

They will both serve you well. I am one of those that taste the difference in the ProVari....probably due to the 800Mhz chipset.

Neither the MVP or VV3 have the 33 hz chipset that many other entry level mods have. It one of the purest output signals available short of the ProVari.

As I mentioned before, no one will mistake an MVP or vv3 for a ProVari. Having said that, with these products, there is absolutely no reason that you have to settle for a low quality vape when first starting out either.

An MVP 2 or a couple of vv3's are completely acceptable alternatives while you are saving your pennies for a ProVari, or waiting for ProVape to produce a VW version of the ProVari.

I have used an ego, a vamo, and provari. I currently would never use anything other than a provari outside of my mechanical mod. You can't beat the quality. The only reason I even have use another product outside of my mech mod is because it's convenient at work to toss the provari in my bag. The mech mod is awesome but not so convenient at work. The vamo was good, until it broke. I was not impressed with the quality.

pr0v8ping

Moved On
Sep 18, 2013
california
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
You are the only one in this thread who has criticized the ProVari; after my post.

I see your 'logic'. China made the first commercially viable e-cig., so they make the best.

Not quite sure why one would think ProVari are expensive. They cost like, what 3 cartons of cigarettes? Didn't everyone here smoke. Given the vast numbers of owners, I'd hardly call them a status symbol.

Take a look at the differences between the posts in the Evic and Vamo forums and the ProVari forum for a true comparison of customer satisfaction.

Thanks to all who have made my point so precisely.

Just because the ProVari is the best doesn't make it perfect. The ProVari, like anything could use improvement. Competition is necessary in this industry. That's why so many of us are against the FDA regulations that would essentially hand over the e-cig industry over to big Tobacco.

The last thing I need is an e-cig solution where the hardware, and juice content is entirely controlled by big tobacco. As soon as the smaller e-cig companies are driven out of the market, nothing prevents big tobacco from adding the same garbage they added to tobacco to make their e-cigs more addictive than ever.

The gap between the ProVari and it's competitors in terms of performance has never been narrower. That is a good thing.

I can't wait until the inevitable update to the ProVari. A variable wattage ProVari will sell like chocolate at a divorcee's support group.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Problem is p.opus is talking about PVs he's never owned and has no real actual experience to give OP. He vapes the 800 mah iTaste.
As for OP I've owned the Provari. Also own the Sigelei Z-Max V3, MVP 2, Vamo V2 and V3 and assorted PVs.
The Provari is definitely at the top of the list if looking for a long term quality PV. One of the very few PVs that can be sent back to the Vendor for reasonably priced repairs which are rarely required.
Next on the list is the Sigelei Z-Max- LOVE it and it's a quality build.
In the budget VV/ VW department are the MVP 2 and the Vamo. Both have their pros and cons. Bought my Vamo V3 kit with 2 quality batts and a quality charger for $57 delivered. Even if the Vamo dies I'm still left with quality batts and charger= value $35 so the Vamo tube really only cost me $22 :D
The eVic- borrowed a friends for a few days and didn't feel the price was justified.
As for p.opus stating the cost of a Provari starter kit being $250 is :confused:...a Provari starter kit can be had for about $210.00.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread