Provari Chrome Finish v. How durable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heinzanova

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Silicon Valley, CA-USA
I am looking at ordering my first VV mod. I would like to get a ProVari and I am like a child and love shiny things. I know some people complained the matte finish wares, I was wondering if anyone has insite into how durable the Chrome Finish is? I know there is a forum member who does a beautiful polish job of the matte ones, would that be better?

Huuwap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
Idaho
www.huuwap.me
You know, I was just looking at the ProVari models today, and didn't see anything different spec wise between the silver and chrome/black versions, but the price was definitely different.

I can't answer your question, but I can give you my perspective. It's just paint, and ugly or not the thing should still vape like a champ assuming all specs are the same (other than coating).

Also, I should mention that I'm disallowing myself from looking at them any further. Thoughts like "It's only $200." keep creeping into my head, and when that seed is fully planted I tend to get dirty looks from my wife not too long after.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
You know, I was just looking at the ProVari models today, and didn't see anything different spec wise between the silver and chrome/black versions, but the price was definitely different.

I can't answer your question, but I can give you my perspective. It's just paint, and ugly or not the thing should still vape like a champ assuming all specs are the same (other than coating).

Also, I should mention that I'm disallowing myself from looking at them any further. Thoughts like "It's only $200." keep creeping into my head, and when that seed is fully planted I tend to get dirty looks from my wife not too long after.

Yeah my wife is pretty ticked off that I have spent quite a bit (more than double) the money starting up vaping versus what I would have spent smoking analogs. The Provari was the big item that skyrocketed my investment of course, but luckily I got a bonus at work and she had a hard time arguing against me spending my "hard earned" money on something I really wanted, and that is keeping me off the stinkies!

In a few months I'll break even, and after a year will be pretty significantly ahead on money savings, as juices and occasional cartos (maybe an extra tank or two as well) will be my primary ongoing expenditure. I mean really, for me at least, after the Provari, what else do I need as far as PVs go? It is (again, to me) the ultimate experience!

Carbon

heinzanova

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Silicon Valley, CA-USA

I think my concern was missed, my concern is does anyone have experiance on the longevity of the chrome finish vs the matte finish (IE will chrome fade and chip).

- H

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I have the matte so can't comment. Sorry I helped contribute to hijacking your thread! I hope someone with the chrome chimes in soon for you. I can say that I have seen some that have the chrome only complain about the fingerprints, which us OCD vapers (even without OCD a nice, expensive product like the Provari can INDUCE OCD!) would find annoying.

I guess it would depend on whether the chrome is an overlay or plating versus a solid chrome skin as to whether it rubs or chips off revealing stainless steel or whatever beneath. You could email Provape and ask them this question. They are really quick to reply.

Also, posting in the Provari sub forum might help get you an answer faster, though I suspect this thread will be moved by one of our moderators very soon.

Carbon

heinzanova

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Silicon Valley, CA-USA
Yeah no worries. Maybe a mod will move this to Provari subforum for me so I don't have to Dupe the thread there.

My main hang up is I like nice things, so all my eGo style batteries and tanks are all matching chrome/stainless finish with chrome drip tips. Price isn't an issue ($20 on a $200 device (Kinda like when people buy a $150,000 new turbo porsche but cheap out and don't get the $3500 sport chrono package)). It is all relative.

When I moved from Analogs (still working on fully stopping) to a PCC + tiny batteries I soon found myself wanting more performance but didn't want a silver bullet + Tank. Just not my style, however I find I need a VV to try to target my ideal juice flavor, from recent learnings I need different power between my two or three cartos for my tanks. VV it is.

Holding out for Provari Blue LED, but also want to pick up a darwin, I like the idea you can target a power rating and it varies voltage to hold the power there. I just think a provari would make a better daily travel to work system, and the darwin for at home experimenting.

I got 99 problems and my target vape is one. :-(

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I think my concern was missed, my concern is does anyone have experiance on the longevity of the chrome finish vs the matte finish (IE will chrome fade and chip).

- H

Hubby has the black and chrome. I had the matte finish. Neither of his have worn and they go through hell. Mine didn't wear either. I know they had a problem when they first released the chrome but that has since been resolved.

DRLyman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States

LOL I know what you mean. Mine didn't like the price, either. I reminded her that it was still cheaper than the $300+ I would spend on cigarettes every month. That kinda helped:)

DRLyman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
In a few months I'll break even, and after a year will be pretty significantly ahead on money savings, as juices and occasional cartos (maybe an extra tank or two as well) will be my primary ongoing expenditure. I mean really, for me at least, after the Provari, what else do I need as far as PVs go? It is (again, to me) the ultimate experience!

Carbon

I feel the same way. Now that we have the best, the biggest expense is out of the way. Now it's just cartos or juice or a tank here and there. Much cheaper now.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yeah no worries. Maybe a mod will move this to Provari subforum for me so I don't have to Dupe the thread there.

My main hang up is I like nice things, so all my eGo style batteries and tanks are all matching chrome/stainless finish with chrome drip tips. Price isn't an issue ($20 on a $200 device (Kinda like when people buy a $150,000 new turbo porsche but cheap out and don't get the $3500 sport chrono package)). It is all relative.

When I moved from Analogs (still working on fully stopping) to a PCC + tiny batteries I soon found myself wanting more performance but didn't want a silver bullet + Tank. Just not my style, however I find I need a VV to try to target my ideal juice flavor, from recent learnings I need different power between my two or three cartos for my tanks. VV it is.

Holding out for Provari Blue LED, but also want to pick up a darwin, I like the idea you can target a power rating and it varies voltage to hold the power there. I just think a provari would make a better daily travel to work system, and the darwin for at home experimenting.

I got 99 problems and my target vape is one. :-(

I don't blame you at all, in fact the chrome is what I really wanted. And now that I have stainless steel tanks and a couple of drip tips, it's especially regrettable that I went with the matte. Well not really, I love this thing and I think the matte looks great as well, but like you said ... "shiny things" mmmm lol

Ultimately the two reasons I went with the matte, was to cut the extra $20 which SERIOUSLY might have put my wife over the edge as the total cost would have been that much closer to $300 in toto, and the fingerprint issue/question.

Waiting for the Blue LED, now THAT I just couldn't rationalize. Too impatient and though the blue LED certainly looks cooler, I didn't figure it would make waiting an extra month worthwhile nor does it make the thing work any better. For you though, you've waited this long, it's only two weeks away. Better get online at like 12 am (like buying tickets for a soon to sell out concert, or shopping the day after Thanksgiving!) to make sure you don't miss out!

Good luck and happy vaping.

Carbon

motox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2010
Poinciana, FL
I can be a little (well, maybe a lot) OCD about my mods. I had one of the original nickel plated Omegas and although I liked how it worked, I HAD to polish it daily because it would start to tarnish. I also have a black silver bullet in the arsenal that does show some wear. When I decided to invest in a ProVari, I ended up on the matte finish, and I am very happy that I did so. Cleans up very easily, doesn't show fingerprints, doesn't tarnish - love it!

With that being said, the chrome and the black one do look sweet in the pics. I haven't heard any feedback on the chrome (how easily it tarnishes or scratches), but I have seen a couple of comments here on ECF that the black one can chip and scratch. The gold one is just a bit too much for me :)

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
It won't tarnish -- it's stainless steel. :)

There are a few videos on Youtube of users that have had satin-finish Provaris for over a year that show no or very little wear. That's pretty much what decided the finish for me, although I've never heard anything bad about finishes other than the black chrome, which they replaced with black satin because the black chrome wore off.

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
I have the Chrome finish and have dropped it a couple times, once from about 5 feet on a gravel road! No blemishes to report! The nice think about the chrome is there is no painted on finish to wear off! I love mine, and other than potential fingerprint issues, the chrome should hold up like a champ! If you like the look of the chrome, go with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread