protege switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9frog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2009
sullivan co. ny
today like many other people,i spent most of the day trying to figure out why these switches are so hard to press down to get them to work,so to make a long story short,the tube that goes into the switch,its the part the spring goes in,i sanded the tube down about a 1/16,put it together, it worked ,no more hard pressure on the button to fire it,so what i did was make the button shorter ,so it would go down further,i think the tube part of the switch is to long,thats why you have to press so hard,i removed some plastic and for the first time it worked,this might not be or it might be the problem, it was with mine,i would like to hear from other people if they try this if it did work for them,take off a little then try it,you can always take off more you cant add to it. Be carefull!!,, k9 frog

k9frog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2009
sullivan co. ny
all right thats one fixed,i also removed the steel rivets for the contacts, and replaced them with copper rivets,that really made it work,seems to me that copper is a better conducter then stainless, but i do not know if this will alter the voltage,it just makes my v2 give me a blast of a hit each time,with the copper rivets, with hardly any pressure on the button,,k9frog

k9frog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2009
sullivan co. ny
update on my switch fix,well its been about 2weeks now and on both my prodigy and my protege are fixed,they work perfect ,the final change i made was to remove the stainless contacts in the body housing ,and replaced them with copper contacts,well really copper rivets ,i made to size,it must be providing a better contact surface,who knows or cares why,but it works

yanks21

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2010
New York
I was having problems with my Protege 1.1 switch being hard to push but it has improved over the course of the last few days - that being said nothing really beats hitting it as Steve suggests. I know it shouldn't make much of a difference but it does:

IMG_1922.jpg

Jimi Mack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Long Island
Yeah I know I have read everything I can on this this switch. I never had a problem with the Tact switch, but once I changed to the Mech. switch it just wasn't the same. It does do a little better when using the thumb but hopefully I can get used to using it in that manner. Once again thanks for the reminder.

Jimi Mack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Long Island
I have officially given in, the Protege has beaten me. Now all day today I can not get this thing to hit more than about 25% of the time if lucky. batteries are fully charged, contacts are clean, atty works on every other PV but the Protege. I am just at wits end, I can not think of what else it could be. PureSmoker had just got the unit back to me during the week with a new switch and it worked fine for one day and then it just gave out so I have given up.

k9frog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2009
sullivan co. ny
i have been using both the prodigy and the protege,with the copper contacts,with no flat surface,for 3 weeks now ,nothin but perfect,i didnt go with the flat surface because the odds of getting it perpendicular with the button shaft i found to be pretty nil,then your back to pressing the button hard because of the misalignment of the ring, but by all means use what works i do,k9

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
i have been using both the prodigy and the protege,with the copper contacts,with no flat surface,for 3 weeks now ,nothin but perfect,i didnt go with the flat surface because the odds of getting it perpendicular with the button shaft i found to be pretty nil,then your back to pressing the button hard because of the misalignment of the ring, but by all means use what works i do,k9

use what works for you... and after grinding filing gets it perfect, but you have to be mechanically inclined and some people arn't so I understand why you might think it would be "nil".

How did you find that if you didn't try it?

Jimi Mack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Long Island
Just as a note, I have tried the idea of changing the contacts from the stainless steel to copper as mentioned earlier in this thread. I am happy to say it has made a huge difference in how my Protege is preforming. I have had the contacts in since early today and I have not had a misfire and it has been giving me a full rich vapor without missing a beat. I am not saying everyone should to go do this, but it is something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread