Protege 14500 batteries blue vs. purple

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
Is this resolved ?

Wondering if it was the batts or the placement of the ridge inside the machine..

Yes and no.

Yes, in that I know the cause: The bottom post in the switch needs to be pushed out a bit to make good contact with the purple batteries. This is an issue that affects only my switch (as far as we know now). It was one of the very first mechanical switches out for the Protege. Other [later] Protege switches seem to work fine with the purple batteries. That's why we had such a hard time diagnosing the problem initially.

No, in that I'm going to wait until my V1.1 arrives and then send it in for a tune-up from the professionals and maybe a switch upgrade if they're available. It's currently working fine with the blue batteries, and I ran out of patience trying shims of various widths to get the perfect fit. And I don't want to live without it until I have another to use in its place.

j4g3rb0mb3d

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yes and no.

Yes, in that I know the cause: The bottom post in the switch needs to be pushed out a bit to make good contact with the purple batteries. This is an issue that affects only my switch (as far as we know now). It was one of the very first mechanical switches out for the Protege. Other [later] Protege switches seem to work fine with the purple batteries. That's why we had such a hard time diagnosing the problem initially.

No, in that I'm going to wait until my V1.1 arrives and then send it in for a tune-up from the professionals and maybe a switch upgrade if they're available. It's currently working fine with the blue batteries, and I ran out of patience trying shims of various widths to get the perfect fit. And I don't want to live without it until I have another to use in its place.

I know the feeling, I bought a second Protege before I sent my first one in for repair. It's hard to part with this thing. I had to part with my V2 while my 801 was in for repair, and that was tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread