Propylene Glycol - THE Dubd1c3 Poll

Are you allergic to propylene glycol? You have to vote!

• No, I am not allergic to propylene glycol.

• I have experienced notable discomfort with propylene glycol, but I'm not allergic.

• Yes, I am allergic to propylene glycol.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubd1c3

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2010
Michigan
SINCE YOU SAW THIS POLL YOU MUST VOTE TO MAKE THE POLL STATISTICALLY ACCURATE
I am trying to define a percentage of people who are allergic to propylene glycol.

I do not want this poll to become a "how many people are allergic" poll. It has to be a percentage, which means, since you read it, now you have to vote on it.

There is a significant number of people allergic to cigarette smoke, as well as an even more significant number of people who have medical conditions aggravated by cigarette smoke.

I envision anti-vapers may attempt to dramatize the second-hand effects of vapor as well as the allergy danger. We should learn about the real numbers.

IF YOU ARE A MEMBER CAPABLE OF VOTING ON POLLS, PLEASE VOTE.

Here's another poll I'm working on...

T/F : A "State of the Union" Poll for All Vapers- A Dubd1c3 Poll

Thank you! vape on! Discuss propylene glycol below if you wish.

dubd1c3

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2010
Michigan
Well, first of all I know this is a somewhat crude method for getting the info. I'm sure it has a number of scientific holes, but I'm just trying to get a general idea.

The question relates to whether you know you are allergic. Propylene glycol is in a LOT of products today, especially products designed for use on the skin. Allergic people will react to these products.

In short, if you are allergic to PG, you will DEFINITELY know by now. Propylene glycol is very common, and the symptoms of allergy are unavoidable.

However, I still added an option that kind of functions as an "I'm not sure" option.

dubd1c3

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2010
Michigan
Obviously, because of the choice being there, the number would be known and could be disregarded.

On the allergy issue, I say again, if you are allergic to PG, you will know well before (years before) using electronic cigarettes, because one day your mom is bathing you in the sink and the soap made your skin freak out, or you use one of a thousand other products that make you react.

You will have already known, from a doctor's diagnosis, that you are allergic to PG. PG is found everywhere.

Anyone who answers yes isn't guessing.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
see we're looking at it from different angles...
PG is also an additive in tobacco and cigarettes...so if you're on here chances you were smoker trying to find an alternative...
PG allergy would have come into play already way before e-cigs were even out...they would have already quit smoking because of that allergy...

so in theory we should have no smokers that are allergic to PG...and therefore no vapers that are actually truely allergic to it either...

and they wouldn't have just picked it up from just soaps and shampoos but from foods as well including almost all the flavoring that's being used in our juices anyway..sure we got VG base...but loranns and fairies finest are PG...

dubd1c3

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2010
Michigan
Tiburon, yes, if you have an allergic reaction to something and a doctor confirms it, then put yes.

Drozd, the PG content in cigarettes is extremely low, somewhere around 0.8-1.1 percent It is likely that is not sufficient to trigger an allergic reaction. The body will react to an allergen only in sufficient quantities. There are NUMEROUS products, however, where propylene glycol is listed in the top three ingredients (such as PG e-juice).

Another point- it is possible propylene glycol's chemical makeup changes when it is burned. So it may be a completely different chemical(s) when ingested.

The PG in cigarette smoke, assuming it stays PG when burned, is extremely "diluted." At 0.8-1.1 percent very likely not enough to cause an allergic reaction. Toxicity is about dosage, but allergy is about concentration.

Sydlie

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
New Orleans, LA
I wouldn't classify myself as allergic, but I'm definitely intolerant. After 2 puffs of a high PG blend, my throat hurt like I had strep & I ached for the rest of the night, another juice that only had PG flavoring did the same thing after a couple of hours of sporadic vaping (probably about 3 analogs worth.) I haven't had any issues with VG, so I'm just sticking with it.

Very interested to see the results of this poll!

bbb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
Florida
I guess my question is why ?

submit it somewhere for publication, add it to some medical site, give it to CASAA or just out of personal curiosity ?

yeah, I voted, pg makes me nauseous, sometimes gives me a headache, but I'm not allergic

I also use vendors who make extremely flavorful juices using 100% VG

sry, not trying to be a pia, but I've been reading about H.R. Bill 1981 and that makes me naseous and distrusting

I hope your results can be used for the improvement of our community knowledge :) thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread