Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Received a reply from Sen McCaskill's office. It is obviously a compilation of form sound bites but does give a little background to the legislation this is aimed at amending. (I say aimed because it would do it through other legislation not directly)

"Thank you for contacting me regarding legislation to reauthorize the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). I appreciate hearing from you, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

The FAA is the national aviation agency that oversees all aspects of civilian air travel. The FAA regulates commercial airlines, operates air traffic control systems, sets out guidelines for pilots and flight inspection standards, and provides funding for airport improvement projects.

The FAA Modernization and Reform Act (P.L.112-95), signed into law in February 2012, expired in September 2015. At that time, Congress extended the authorization for six months, making no changes to the FAA's funding. In addition to setting spending levels, FAA authorization bills typically set policy on a wide range of issues related to civil aviation, such as the full integration of unmanned aerial vehicles, or drones, into our airspace; consumer protections including the transparency of airfare; modernization of our nation's air traffic control organization; and the funding mechanisms used by local communities to invest in airports and other aviation infrastructure.

On March 16, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, of which I am a member, passed a longer-term reauthorization through September 2017, and the bill now awaits consideration by the full Senate. In the meantime, Congress also passed a short-term FAA reauthorization through July 15, 2016, giving Congress more time to finish a longer-term reauthorization.

Ultimately, any reforms Congress considers for the FAA should increase the safety, accessibility, and reliability of our airspace. As the Senate continues to examine these issues, I will be sure to keep your comments and concerns in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue."

Reactions: LaraC

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
"I will be sure to keep your comments and concerns in mind."

Yeah, right.

You might have better luck with Roy Blunt (R-MO), who's also on the committee. I wrote to him, but no response as yet. Committee chairman, John Thune (R-S.D.) is a traditional conservative. Also worth contacting is committee member Marco Rubio. Ted Cruz is a member, but I understand he's fairly busy right now.

As with almost everything else, this is a matter of perception. Cell phones and laptops are widely regarded as necessities. PVs aren't. The more reported e-cig explosion incidents there are, the more difficult it will be to get this done. And fire on any aircraft, but particularly on a passenger plane, is properly regarded as a serious matter, so the alarmists and nanny staters do have that going for them.

But again, the last time I checked this thing has no co-sponsors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread