Prodigy V3.1 Overheating Batteries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downer

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2011
Califorina
Okay i'm using a Prodigy v3.1 at 6v with rcr123a batteries, not sure what kind but they are wrapped in all blue. Well when i put them in and screw it shut i can feel them getting hot, i take them out and they are really warm. The thing is it's not firing whatever i have connected to my mod though. Usually using a SS DCT with it.

I had this problem before and it was because i screwed an atty/carto to tight and it popped the connection down and i fixed that by popping it back out before. Plus when that was the problem i could hear my atty/carto firing. Both pairs of batteries i have are overheating. Is it that both pairs of batteries i have decided to fail on me or is it something with my prodigy? I've taken it apart and cleaned it and made sure nothing was wrong with it. I'm ordering new batteries but i would like to know for sure what might be wrong with it if someone has had similar problems.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
It's very possible that you have 2 bad cells out of the 4 you own. Also, you need to check the battery casings to make sure there aren't any tears in it. If there is, it's touching the tube wall and shorting out which will cause it to get hot. It can also be a bad atty/carto that's causing it to get hot. I also sent CaSHMeRe (puresmoker owner) a link to this thread. He can't reply here but he can PM you.

sarsi

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2011
Cincy area, OH
Downer, what cartos are you using now? I purchased 10 of the carto's recommended for the Prodigy V3.1 & am having the same issue. I was ready to give up on a 6v and going to purchase the lower V batteries but then I would have to purchase the charger to go with those! uggghhh! Ironically, I just was going to ask on the PS site but on my way there just happened to see this thread.

Over-tightening will cause the positive battery connector to shift down.

It'll also cause the positive contact to shift up into the connector body, shorting the atty or carto.

Next time that happens, you can use a slotted jeweler's screwdriver to lift the positive connector back out of the base of the atty or carto, and "un-short" it.

Steve has a video on his website showing the correct seating for 510 connections. You might find that helpful.

Nic-holio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
North Carolina
you may want to research your batteries a bit too and make sure the ones you have are (relatively) safe chemistry. Someone was very seriously hurt using one of these mods recently.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/notcigs/262631-scary-but-we-all-should-read.html

I don't know the Prodigy, but if it doesn't have regulation/protection you might really want to do some thorough reading on your batteries and charger. I understand there was a bad carto involved here, but if there is no protection on this mod... well it's a good thing you noticed the batteries getting hot. (I'm not saying there's no protection in this mod, there might be, like I said I don't know the mod). But since you're using a pair of small stacked batteries, you have a risk factor. The Prodigy apparently does not have any kind of outgassing ventilation either, so that's another.

There is a lot of good info & links to more battery info in the link above.

PS: I am a vaping n00b - just trying to get myself edumacated as I go. And this also reminds me I need to check the ohms on anything new I attach before I use it. "duds happen"

Last edited:

offset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
New Jersey
Okay i'm using a Prodigy v3.1 at 6v with rcr123a batteries, not sure what kind but they are wrapped in all blue.

Because of the button design on the prodigy, the batteries must be the correct size in order for the device to work properly. If the batteries are even a little bit too long they will make contact with bottom screw. This means the batteries will be sending power to the atomizer even when the button isn't pressed.

I'm not sure which batteries your using but the rcr123a protected li-ion batteries tend to be longer then the rcr123a lifepo4 batteries (which don't have a protection circuit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread