Problems with the ZAP... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
Hey everyone:

The stock wick wasn't wicking well so I used my own 500 mesh and a 32 kanthal wire. When I wrapped my coil, the bottom wrap must have been too close to the bottom and it melted the plastic insert thingie. It was actually stuck to the mesh wick when I pulled it out. So I thew the wick/stuck insert away and started again. I wrapped a thick piece of mesh wick to fill the bare wick hole and dropped it inside.

Now when I fill the tank with liquid, it literally spouts from the wick itself and leaks all over the mod, my hand, etc. I've seen it where it spouts a bit from the mesh when I'm filling liquid, but nothing like this. Does anyone have any idea why it's doing this?

Secondly, I'm getting some very strange ohm readings after wrapping my coil. When I wrap a coil using a drill bit on my lava gen, six wraps usually gets me around 1.8 -2.2 ohm. Well the drill bit doesn't work on the ZAP because the wick hole is either too small (with the plastic insert), or too big (without the insert). So I've just been wrapping it around the wick manually after I drop it in the wick hole. I am getting 3.0-3.2 with only 5 wraps now. Everything appears to be lighting properly and I don't see any shorts. I'm trying to figure out what's going on...

As far as oxidizing, I'm using a blow torch and torching each side of a piece of steel mesh for 30 seconds. Then I wrap it around a toothpick. Then I unwrap it, remove the tooth pick, then wrap it up tight. Then I torch it for around 30 more seconds.

Any ideas what's going on?

Ctor

static void Main()
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2012
New Jersey
Hey everyone:

The stock wick wasn't wicking well so I used my own 500 mesh and a 32 kanthal wire. When I wrapped my coil, the bottom wrap must have been too close to the bottom and it melted the plastic insert thingie. It was actually stuck to the mesh wick when I pulled it out. So I thew the wick/stuck insert away and started again. I wrapped a thick piece of mesh wick to fill the bare wick hole and dropped it inside.

Now when I fill the tank with liquid, it literally spouts from the wick itself and leaks all over the mod, my hand, etc. I've seen it where it spouts a bit from the mesh when I'm filling liquid, but nothing like this. Does anyone have any idea why it's doing this?

Probably because the filling process is creating pressure in the tank and the only place for the liquid and air to go is up the wick. Try filling with a smaller gauge needle so air can escape the fill hole.

Secondly, I'm getting some very strange ohm readings after wrapping my coil. When I wrap a coil using a drill bit on my lava gen, six wraps usually gets me around 1.8 -2.2 ohm. Well the drill bit doesn't work on the ZAP because the wick hole is either too small (with the plastic insert), or too big (without the insert). So I've just been wrapping it around the wick manually after I drop it in the wick hole. I am getting 3.0-3.2 with only 5 wraps now. Everything appears to be lighting properly and I don't see any shorts. I'm trying to figure out what's going on...

As far as oxidizing, I'm using a blow torch and torching each side of a piece of steel mesh for 30 seconds. Then I wrap it around a toothpick. Then I unwrap it, remove the tooth pick, then wrap it up tight. Then I torch it for around 30 more seconds.

Any ideas what's going on?

Yeah, thicker wick has larger diameter, which means more wire is used per turn. IOW, The overall length of your wire for the fatter wick means higher ohms value. Not a bad thing, but you can back off a turn or two if you want the same ohm reading.

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
Okay a bit of an update. I took the wick out, torched it a little more, then wrapped a new wick and it's doing better so far.

I also got another plastic insert from Provape. Does anyone know how to properly insert this into the wick hole? Not only is it longer than the middle part of the rba, so I think it needs to be cut to fit, I can't seem to get it to go all the way down so there isn't a little part of the insert sticking up out of the wick hole.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I have 3 ZAPs. So far, I've been running them with the stock set ups. I'll probably eventually pull the insulator on at least one, to see what the difference is. But I haven't had reason to tear them apart, so far. They work surprisingly well with the little skinny factory wicks. They vape as well as any of the other gennys I have with bigger wicks. To anyone who's thinking of getting one: I'd at least try the stock set up, before taking it apart.

Vap Khymyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2010
Alabama
I have 3 ZAPs. So far, I've been running them with the stock set ups. I'll probably eventually pull the insulator on at least one, to see what the difference is. But I haven't had reason to tear them apart, so far. They work surprisingly well with the little skinny factory wicks. They vape as well as any of the other gennys I have with bigger wicks. To anyone who's thinking of getting one: I'd at least try the stock set up, before taking it apart.

I agree. Have 2 AGA-T+ and some trouble to set up. ZAP worked perfect out of box!

blindsoup

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2010
New York
I bought my first genny last week, the ZAP. The stock wick/wire that came installed didn't work very well. I pulled that and started with a fresh wick (pre-made 400) and wrapped my own coil. Working much better, but still not as well as my standard 510 joye's. I know I have a long way to go, and I will get there with practice. I will probably eventually pull out the insulator and roll a fatty when i get better at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread