Status
Not open for further replies.

Deamon L. Scaduz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
Shadows of Sin City
zenshadow.com
My girlfriend and I might be trying to get pregnant in the next few months. So my question is, does anyone know of any complications that can come with vaping while pregnant? Is nicotine bad for development? Would it be safe to vape 0mg if there are risks associated with nicotine? Any advice is helpful, but I realize most people here aren't doctors.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
inb4turdstorm

Vaping is probably safer than smoking, for MOM. And perhaps smoking contains other chemicals that may reach the fetus. I won't say vaping while pregnant is safe, but I would really suggest weaning to zero nic before then, because I've also heard that quitting nicotine mid pregnancy is also stressful for the unborn.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I read somewhere a while back that nicotine has some negative impact on the fetus. Sorry, but I can't remember the details other than it did not make much of an impression on me at the time (which means it probably did not have much of an impact on the fetus ... someone please correct me if I'm wrong here). I am not a doctor. My opinion is that vaping zero nicotine juice is better than smoking for both the baby and Mom. If zero nic juice would lead to smoking for Mom, I would prefer she vape with nic.

Last edited:

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Smoking decreases the blood oxygen levels which is bad for the baby, also Nicotine is transfered in-utero. If you don't want your baby vaping xxmg of Nic, there's your answer.

I'd give it a try with reducing her Nic down to 0 before pregnancy and if she's having a really crappy day a 0 Nic vape should be much better than xxmg of Nic or even smoking.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Really too much nicotine (or caffeine, or alcohol, or many prescription meds for that matter) can cause the newborn to have withdrawal symptoms after birth. As for vaping 0 Nic, there have been zero studies done on this topic. Ideally mom should be on prenatal vitamins and healthy food. However, if the choice is vaping or smoking, I would still go with vaping....as infrequently as possible and with the lowest nic as possible.

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
My fiance is pregnant now. She was a smoker. Her doctor actually encouraged vaping over smoking.

Take that as you will. My fiance stopped everything altogether though because she was afraid it could be bad either way...which is good in my opinion.

I'd personally say the same thing that is to be said about vaping in general. The healthiest thing you can do is stop everything. Vaping is better for you than smoking, but not doing either is better than anything.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Personally I'd refrain from Vapeing nic for sure, however there's just no evidence or study's available to say Vapeing of any kind is safe at this time for pregnant women. We know it's not as bad as smoking that's all. I'll say way better. I'm not a doctor, so please use caution as I'm sure u well with anything your ingestion etc.....

Congrats if pregnancy occurs.

Lundyb

Apr 5, 2013
Ireland
Well I'm not medically qualified, but I know you're not supposed to smoke when pregnant, millions of babies turn out fine when the mother smoked during the pregnancy, millions have been affected by it, Vaping isn't as bad as smoking, but there may still be risks, just looked up about it there and official medical sites say not to use nicotine inhalers while pregnant, so I imagine vaping is the same concept. If she's going to do something, I guess vaping is better than smoking, but going cold turkey from nicotine would probably be the best solution

Deamon L. Scaduz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
Shadows of Sin City
zenshadow.com
You all confirmed what was already in my head. My girlfriend was never a smoker (except on stressful days), and she picked up vaping for the flavors when I started vaping to quit. So now instead of smoking on those stressful days she vapes a 6-12mg, but I don't see her having an issue dropping to 0mg.

Also, I might actually encourage 0mg vaping with her. I read somewhere that PG was once pumped into hospital air systems because it kills airborne pathogens. With here being prone to getting sick easily, it would be a good idea to keep from getting sick while pregnant.

bilbobaggins30

Vapin' Hobbit
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
The Shire
Here is what I would say to that. Sure vaping is better than smoking, but irregardless nicotine is still a toxin, any way you look at it. Personally, I would have her quit ASAP, because we have a higher tolerance to nicotine, than a growing baby in a womb does. I am sure it does not take much to harm the unborn baby. Have her switch to 0mg nicotine, and she can still vape then. I would avoid any nicotine ingestion once she is pregnant however. Quit with her, it makes it easier...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread