Status
Not open for further replies.

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
My eyes aren't good and my hands are shaky which has kept me from attempting any kind of rebuilding. I've watched plenty of rebuilding tutorials, and I understand how it's done with Protank single coil style heads. I recently found some info about pre-coiled wicks that could be used for these, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks that is a good idea to "skip" the finer work needed. I feel like skipping the coiling step might make it a viable option. What do you think?

$2.06 Pre-made Wires and Wicks for Atomizer (50-Pack) 50-pack - 33 AWG / 1.8ohm / 4-wick at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Tajji'smom

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2012
Southern Ontario
I'm with you- I don't see as well and fingers don't work the same. I've actually got some pre-welded wires and wicks on order from fastech as I've heard a lot of them fall apart in the bag. The one you have highlighted comes with 4 wicks. I know people prefer kanthal instead of nichrome, but I figure it's so cheap, might as well give it a shot:)

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
I have used the similar NR-R-NR 1.8ohm 4-wick coils in Protank2 and TaifunGT and was happy with them, I haven't been able to tell any difference between Kanthal and Nichrome in all my coils !
FT sku 1593908
Advantage with NR-R-NR is less possibility of burning the rubber grommet in base.
HTH

ETA yes they make skipping the actual coiling process easy-peasy, run a sewing needle through the wicks and lay it in the wick cut-outs to hold it all in place while you run the wires through the grommet and metal plug.
At FT prices you could also try sku1593900 2.2ohm, 2mm wick and add a single piece of 1mm for a flavour wick, they also work well in PT2's :)

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
My eyes aren't good and my hands are shaky which has kept me from attempting any kind of rebuilding. I've watched plenty of rebuilding tutorials, and I understand how it's done with Protank single coil style heads. I recently found some info about pre-coiled wicks that could be used for these, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks that is a good idea to "skip" the finer work needed. I feel like skipping the coiling step might make it a viable option. What do you think?

$2.06 Pre-made Wires and Wicks for Atomizer (50-Pack) 50-pack - 33 AWG / 1.8ohm / 4-wick at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

No.

The hardest, trickyest part is putting the coil in the head, and -- this is the difficult part -- getting the little grommet thing back in the underneath of the head.

If you only dryburn and cotton rewick your coils, you can keep them going for weeks, maybe months which boils down to pennies a day.

Meanwhile, so long as you're thinking about rebuilding, I'd recommend a proper rebuildable, and if you get an rda, it makes life even simpler; (there's still alot of innovations going on on the rebuildable tank side of things so if you buy a tank now, in 3 months time there will be a new and improved version).

I'd recommend a 30mm veritas;
If you're likely to go dual coil and expect to keep you rda vertical, I'd suggest the 30mm magma.

And if you want you can get those same pre-made coils and use them in the rebuildable but the type I'd get are the nr-r-nr prewelds
$3.54 Ready-made Wicks and Wires - NR-R-NR (50-Pack) 50-pack - 2.0ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
nr means non-resistive; it's made up with non-resistance wire going to the screw posts, and resistance wire to the coil itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread