Possibly looking for new VW device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
I vape at 8.5 watts on my Innokin iTaste SVD, so I'm not sure if I'd need anything like a sigelei 20W, but I'm also considering a Volcano Lavatube.

I'd prefer something that can use either button top or flat top 18650s (I have flat tops right now), and I'm really not interested in a box mod or VV-Only device. I also have flat top 18350s, if it can use either/or.

I'm open on price.

I don't rebuild coils.

I'm worried about VAMO threads.

I like a pretty hard hit, and the iTaste VV3, while good, wasn't as good as my SVD.

Open to suggestions and price-ranges.

Thanks in advance! :)

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Of course Provari, but only vv.

The Tesla seems to be pretty solid, vv/vw 18650 only. You can lock the setting, as on your SVD.

KSD KMax, been using mine in my rotation for about 6 months, no problems other than it runs a bit hot, so I need to set it lower with the same toppers. vv/vw telescope.

Or put a kick in a mechanical?

Emilie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
I can't seem to find a good place to get the Kmax other than FT, and I'm not sure I trust them. I also don't know if the one they offer is the V2 or not.

I really do like the features of the SVD, but I'm not sure if I can trust this model anymore. I'm having problems with my first, and am using my second because the first won't fire now.

I'm still only a month into this, so I'm not sure what's good, bad, ugly...etc., and to be honest, I'm afraid of mech mods, especially since I don't rebuild coils. I use stock glassos and don't really see myself getting into rebuilding.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I'm also interested in hearing more about this rattlesnake effect and mean values. I hear that mods that don't use mean values can be set at higher wattages without getting burnt tastes. I'd love more of a hit without burning my juices.

Then buy a device that either has a very high frequency used with their PWM or a MOD that puts out a DC signal. What happens with a PWM device is that, because it doesn't fire a constant current, but has peaks and valleys, it has to compensate by firing a much higher values than where your setting are at. It's very simplistic, but try to think of the signal you're getting from a PWM device as the "average" of the peaks and valleys of the pulse. If you set it at 10W, what you're getting is various peaks that are well above 10W and valleys that are well below 10 watts, but the average of those peaks and valleys is 10W. That's why cheaper PWM mods with lower frequencies (most of the cheaper ones will fire at 33.3Hz or 48Hz) will burn the juice that a Provari (a much nicer PWM device that fires at a very high frequency - more pulses per second) or a straight DC current device won't burn. I can vape atties on my Sigelei 20W (straight DC current) or EPM VW-18490 (300Hz PWM) at wattages that would burn the hell out that same atty were I to try it on my iTaste 134 mini.

The only DC-output device I can think of that isn't a DNA or SX based chip is the MVP which puts out a max of 11W. By all accounts it's a very nice device.

But, as I said before, the Sigelei 20W meets every single bit of your criteria and gives you some room to grow.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Yeah, the KMax is hard to find... as far as trusting FT, other than the wait most have no problems with them, and they do have a good guarantee on all their gear.

I didn't mention the Zmax line earlier, since I don't have one, but lots of people like them as well, similar price range. (I've read that the Sigelei version is better made than the Smoktec version, but no direct experience with either.) I prefer the multi-button of my SVD, Tesla and Vamo V5 to the single button mods, but they all perform well. Just my interface preference.)

Rattlesnake... many of the mods use a pulsed DC to regulate the effective voltage. Devices like the Vamo and Tesla can be set to RMS, which pretty much eliminates any potential adverse effects. Conversely, setting a lower power level for the ones that don't use RMS tuning will give essentially the same vape and possibly longer run time before needing a charge. (My Kmax is apparently in that category. I need to set it almost 2 watts lower with the same topper / juice - but at that setting I do get the same vape. Just have to remember to start low :) )

At this point, I think you're smart to skip the mechs. They do need a bit of experience and education to use safely. But you may want to investigate rebuilding your coils for what you have. Really pretty easy, and can save some $$. And done right, get better performance. While I do use some true rebuildables, I also use a lot of bottom coil clearos, and rebuild them all. So just rinse the old ones well and save for the future.

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
Thanks everyone for their suggestions and explanations. :)

It sounds like the Segelei 20W is the way to go.

As soon as this tablet of mine sells I'll order one up.

The 30 Watter should be coming out soon, so the 20 watter should be cheaper..but keep in mine:
Vamo 30 watter is coming out and Tobeco vendors are already taking pre-orders
http://.........blogspot.com/2014/05/rollout-tobecos-chdna30-tube-mod-5699.html

Emilie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I like the sound of DC, so I may want to stick with a DC device.

I like the looks and sound of the Evic-S, but now I'm considering a Provari. I don't rebuild, and I basically only use a couple of different flavors, so using VV only shouldn't be that tough to find the right setting.

I also notice no one said anything about the Lavatube. I was only considering that because they have them in red, and I love red anodized.

What to do, what to do?

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The Sigelei Zmax telescopic V3 or V5 fits all of the OP's requirements. It uses all of the 18xxx batteries, flat or button top. It has a one piece stainless steel 510/eGo connector that won't wear out, ever. It has plenty of power for most vapers: 3-15 watts. The so-called "rattlesnake" is just a sound that has absolutely no effect of vapor quality that I can tell. I happens with all VV/VW rigs that use the 33.3 Hz Zmax chip developed by Yihiecigar. The sound comes from the atomizer and not the device. The sound is a pulse in the hiss that comes from all atomizers. I hear it from 2.0 ohm cartos but not 3.0 ohm cartos. If I put on a pair of Sennheiser closed headphones while vaping a 2.0 ohm carto I won't hear the sound and I don't notice any pulsing or harshness from the vapor.

RMS values should be selected in the Sigelei menu, not Mean. Setting to RMS will not eliminated the rattlesnake. This will give you very accurate voltage and wattage control. Make the selection once and it will stay in Sigelei memory during battery changes.

Unless you need the higher output power save money and get the smaller V3 or V5. Small size is a valuable commodity in any APV. Depending on battery used these Sigeleis measure 100mm to 127mm in length and 23mm in diameter.

You don't need to order from China for a good deal.

Desert Vapes V5

I made this same order from Desert Vapes last month for a back-up V5. Their photos are a few months out of date. Mine arrived with a metal button and laser etched Sigelei and CE logos.

Last edited:

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
the Lava Tube is nice and also has a 1 yr warranty, but the downside is that it's 28mm in diameter so finding a uniform Topper does present probs...unless that doesn't matter to you.
there are drippers/KFL now available at 28mm so i imagine larger diameter Tanks will soon follow.
IB Tanked has a 25mm Carto Tank that would prob look ok on it

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I like the sound of DC, so I may want to stick with a DC device.

I like the looks and sound of the Evic-S, but now I'm considering a Provari. I don't rebuild, and I basically only use a couple of different flavors, so using VV only shouldn't be that tough to find the right setting.

I also notice no one said anything about the Lavatube. I was only considering that because they have them in red, and I love red anodized.

What to do, what to do?

The Provari isn't a straight DC device. It too uses PWM. But the frequency is high enough such that it doesn't matter much. The peaks aren't as high above the setting and the valleys not as low. It pulses at a much faster speed than most PWM devices which means a much smoother signal.

If you choose a Provari, you'd be buying a great vaporizer. Just don't get caught up in the hype and smugness that many Provari owners seem to be prone to.

That said, the Sigelei 20W will provide a straight DC signal that is smooth as silk, is more intuitive to use, and about half the cost. You can also get 18500 and 18350 tubes for it to use on different occasions.

You won't go wrong either way, but the Sigelei is cheaper and provides more room to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread