FDA Possible last resort to save vaping if necessary ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

second2none

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2009
Sinking Spring, Pa.
If all else may fail and If these regulations turn out to be defacto ban on vaping, I wonder if protesting that premium cigars be subjected to the same rules as ecigs would cause the rich folks to tell their friends in government the proposed rules need to be quashed?

Sometimes when nothing else works an end around is called for..

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
The Economic Impact Statement actually talks about that at one point. It sounds like scary stuff in some ways, as if the FDA doesn't care if it puts people in Latin America out of work.

The real issue is the tobacco market is changing, but people are not really consuming less tobacco, people are smoking little cigars, hookahs, and e-cigs instead of cigarettes. And that scares The Powers That Be because up until now they've kept their hands off those things.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
The Economic Impact Statement actually talks about that at one point. It sounds like scary stuff in some ways, as if the FDA doesn't care if it puts people in Latin America out of work.

The real issue is the tobacco market is changing, but people are not really consuming less tobacco, people are smoking little cigars, hookahs, and e-cigs instead of cigarettes. And that scares The Powers That Be because up until now they've kept their hands off those things.

It also speaks to the fact that those powers are motivated solely by profit and not by any concern over public health. It is an indisputable, scientifically well-attested fact that any other form of tobacco use is orders of magnitude less hazardous to health than cigarette smoking. But our government makes it a crime to actually say that.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
If all else may fail and If these regulations turn out to be defacto ban on vaping, I wonder if protesting that premium cigars be subjected to the same rules as ecigs would cause the rich folks to tell their friends in government the proposed rules need to be quashed?

I think this is a good point. I thought about it myself. I recall somewhere in proposal it says that cigars are the most widely used item that is noted in the current proposal. Granted, this includes all cigars, and not just the premium ones. But I count on ANTZ to do their job and not distinguish between the products and to treat them all as subject to heavy regulations.

Thus premium cigar users would either be subject to same regulations or will find way to have them totally exempted, even if it means killing this proposal.

If premium cigars are allowed some sort of exemption, really of any kind, then that would open a door for other tobacco products to go the same route.

Premium cigarettes anyone?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Just emailed Bill Clinton on this....

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
They will exempt premium cigars because the rich people like them.
And they will use the excuse that children can not afford them and they don't come in tasty flavors.

.... yeah, and conveniently "forgetting" the fact that those so-called "children" (generally meaning youths. Not 1st graders) usually have more disposable (!) income than a large part of the working population.

And golly gee, that Monica even made it into the news in Germany today (saw it on a TV screen during lunch).
Yeah, a really worthwhile subject to report on the so-called "news" indeed. :facepalm:
(I do know why I generally do not watch that junk)

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
I'm really disgusted with our government right now.

I've been disgusted with it for years. This proposal is just adds another bead on a long string of disgust.

Worse part is, the New Ruling Class just doesn't care if we're disgusted. Resistance if futile.

Now, according to the FDA, premium cigars were exempted for the reasons mentioned in a previous post: they are expensive (out of reach of children and the masses), don't appeal to children with yummy flavors, and have a minor impact to health on the whole due to their limited use.

Compared to e-cigarettes, which can be inexpensive (hence easier to obtain), come in yummy flavors (remember that ONLY CHILDREN want to vape bubble gum flavored liquid, not adults), and have a... err... a negligible impact to health according to almost all the "real" studies?

Wait. That last bit.... it was based on "science". We'll have none of that crazy talk over at the FDA.... we only say we're "science-based", we don't actually MEAN it.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
Well if $10 cigars qualify as premium and are untouchable, $10+ bottles of juice should also be considered premium.

Get e-cigarettes out of gas station and dollar stores and restrict sales to B&M's for face to face sales. An additional safety feature would be to not allow children in ecigarette shops, period, similar to bars.

That's a similar argument for premium cigars.

Maurice

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
Cigar Association of America has submitted their request for an extension of the comment period. You can read it on regulation.gov in case you need hints for composing your own request.

How do we submit a request for extension? I assume not as a comment.

Does anyone know when actual comments will be posted? Will they all be posted at the same time at the close of the comment period, or will they start posting them at some point as they come in? (There are already over 3100 submitted)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Cigar Association of America has submitted their request for an extension of the comment period. You can read it on regulation.gov in case you need hints for composing your own request.

How do we submit a request for extension? I assume not as a comment.
I heard how to do it on one of the vape show interviews with someone, but I don't remember exactly how.
I figure CASAA will let us know.

But I believe you are correct that such a request is not submitted as a comment.

Does anyone know when actual comments will be posted? Will they all be posted at the same time at the close of the comment period, or will they start posting them at some point as they come in? (There are already over 3100 submitted)
If I remember correctly from last time, they post them as they review them.
Electronic cigarette users submitted around 5,000 comments, and pretty much none of them were ever posted.

Apparently they did not meet the criterion, which is why CASAA guidance is going to be important.
This time we are going to do it right.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread