Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradder

Am I Chip or am I Dale?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I actually grew up as a snow-bird (snow-sparrow?). My family spent summers in NY and the rest of the year (school) in Ft. Lauderdale. Best of both worlds for growing up. Hope you like it down there.

I think you are on the right track with your Dad; your sense of family and caring definitely shows. The ECF is a great place for you, and we hope your dad, for information and support.

Keep us posted.

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas
I think you are totaly on the right track with the Riva and the boge (the MUST brand)cartomizers 2.0. This will all be very easy to use, unless you go the prefilled route.
I also agree with having him read here and watch YouTube videos so he can understand more and perhaps do some bonding
with others who have made the change.

Good Luck and please keep us informed

Matthis1

ECF Veteran
Please keep us updated on your Dad's progress. I, too, take care of my dad. He's 73 and smokes a pipe. I couldn't get him to smoke an e-cig if I offered him a million bucks!!! You'll find a world of support here on this forum, but I'm really interested in knowing if your dad goes for the e-cig and his progress. I'm keeping both of you in my prayers. Good luck!!

I will keep you guys up on his progress. I'm going to put in an order tonight and it should arrive soon enough for him to use some time time next week for sure.

My last questions are this:
- can you use a drip tip with cartomizer or do they need to be used with atomizers?
- do I need a button lock/cap for the riva/eGo? Think he will be fine without one if the starter kit does not come with one?

I'm thinking too many options might be bad. I'm thinking of going straight cartomizer setup with a drip tip if possible. Just drop the atomizer option all together so he doesnt get confused or frustrated. He can refill using condom method or drip. Both methods couldnt be any easier.

Last edited:

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
I will keep you guys up on his progress. I'm going to put in an order tonight and it should arrive soon enough for him to use some time time next week for sure.

My last questions are this:
- can you use a drip tip with cartomizer or do they need to be used with atomizers? Soft tip cartos allow for the tip to come off easily and a drip tip will fit neatly in it's place. It's an ergonomic choice and not for true dripping.
- do I need a button lock/cap for the riva/eGo? Think he will be fine without one if the starter kit does not come with one? The button lock/cap is to keep the device from "firing" in a pocket, purse, etc. Use your best judgment considering how you think he'll carry it around.

I'm thinking too many options might be bad. I'm thinking of going straight cartomizer setup with a drip tip if possible. Just drop the atomizer option all together so he doesnt get confused or frustrated. He can refill using condom method or drip. Both methods couldnt be any easier.

Answers highlighted above in green. :vapor:

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Is the exact same drip tip used in both instances and will the vape be as good? Are the boge cartomizers the kind that can be used in this manner with a drip tip?

Drip tip on a carto is just a preferred mouth piece. The alternative is that you can put your lips on the carto and use it that way. Dripping on a carto thru a drip tip (or w/out one) would just add juice to the polyfill already inside there. I can see why you're confused since you've never handled either a cartomizer or an atomizer.

Try watching one of the videos about dripping again.

bruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
Louisville, KY
I'm going to muddy things up a little more. It looks like you're going with a Riva eGo kit. Since you're dad smokes on the heavy side, you might consider Mega atomizers and Mega cartomizers. Both hold much more liquid than the standard or XL sizes. They produce more vapor and more throat hit. The mega cartomizer will hold about 2ml of liquid, but you have to use a needle/syringe to fill them. The mega atomizer cartridge will hold at least 50 drops, and probably more, of liquid, and you can drip about 10 additional drops into the atty itself. Either of these lasts me 3 to 4 hours or more, and I've become something of a chain vaper.

I've got everything ready to order thanks to everyones great advice except for juice. I want to get him a variety of flavors to try out this first time then after a week or so of testing to put in another order next week.

It looks like liberty-flights juice is the most cost effective especially since I wont have to pay for S&H if I include with my current kit order. Do they make a good juice or should I go with someone else like vapor station?

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
I've got everything ready to order thanks to everyones great advice except for juice. I want to get him a variety of flavors to try out this first time then after a week or so of testing to put in another order next week.

It looks like liberty-flights juice is the most cost effective especially since I wont have to pay for S&H if I include with my current kit order. Do they make a good juice or should I go with someone else like vapor station?

Tastes are way too subjective to say with any certainty that LF's juice is "good" or "bad." Go ahead and order some from them and let your dad decide. IF he ever puts down the analogs in favor of vaping, his tastes will change over time. Just let him know there are dozens of reputable vendors selling all kinds of tasty flavors. A big part of the appeal of using PV's is the variety available.

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I know you've already ordered, but I wanted to comment on your question about the drip tip. I personally always use a drip tip on my cartomizers. It's not really a necessity, but I prefer the way the drip tip feels in my mouth. It also makes it easier to refill the carto since the drip tip pops off without having to use a paper clip. Having a drip tip will also give your dad the option of trying dripping.

I also have a large variety of colored drip tips. I use a different color for each flavor. That is definitely an extravagance...totally not necessary, but I find it the easiest way to know what I have in the carto for quick flavor changes during the day.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
just wanted to add a couple of info tips for future reference if he takes to it...

Definitely point him towards this forum. There is a WEALTH of information here.. loads of people that will help answer any questions or concerns he may have (and we all have them in the beginning) and he can also learn about the various other options and varieties of PVs and juices that he might like.

Remember this takes time. I switched to save money. I also was a 2 pack a day smoker and loved to smoke. Never intended to quit. I kept smoking a few cigs a day for months.. and suddenly, after I found the PV set up I loved and the juice I loved.. I just quit..easy peasy.

Drip Tips scared me at first. The thought of putting my mouth on an 'open ended' atty (or tailpipping as some called it) scared the daylights out of me. I started with carts.. then tried cartos.. then when I finally used a drip tip... LOVE IT. I use it most of the time. I still use cartos occasionally, but have found I like the Mega Ego Cartos best. There are many styles, and everyone likes different ones.. for different reasons.

The Boge cartos sound like the easiest route for now. Don't overwhelm him. There are as many juices, vendors, batteries, cartos, and combinations, as there are opinions... and every person will have their own ideas as to which is best :) Your dad's opinion is the one that matters most. Go simple to start.. and let him take it from there...

If he does come visit ECF.. let him know about the PIF subforum.. we love to help new vapers!! (pay it forward)

Best of luck!! We are rooting for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread