Please help me DIY <-- Total newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

sour green

Feb 15, 2011
Vancouver BC
I have just ordered my starter kit (510) and a flavourless DIY (pg-36mg 30ml) with some other e juice. I bought some e-juice (3x30ml of different flavors) in order to taste and feel what it is supposed to taste and feel like so I can try and mimic the taste and feel with my own juice. I would like to be able to make my own juice because small part of the reason I decided to vape over traditional smoke was to save money. So.. I was wondering how to cut the 36mg to 6mg. From what I understand and please correct me if I'm wrong (I don't want to die!!) I need to add 5 part VG to 1 part 36mg and add drops of flavorings?

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
Hi and welcome to ECF.
First, you won't die from vaping 36mg unflavored juice. Some people vape that strength all the time. You can get the nic level down to where you want it by using PG and/or VG, and flavoring. The easiest way to figure out what proportions you need is to use a calculator such as this one:

eJuice Recipe Calculator

It's pretty simple to use, but there are much more complex ones out there if you need additional features. Play with it and see if it tells you what you need to know.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
DIY e-liquid

Take a look at some of the material, including the Sticky by Purevapes (Nikhil):
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/74109-guide-diy-flavoring.html

Short answer, Yes, taking 36 mg/ml strength and cutting it 5:1 will result in 6 mg/ml.

VG by itself is quite thick, so normally you would want to use some distilled water (the stuff that's like $1 a gallon at grocery stores) or pure grain alcohol (I use a 160 vodka) to thin it slightly.

For flavorings, use the things talked about in Purevapes' sticky or the ones listed in the DIY calculator:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-calculator-added-quantity-calculations.html

If you have smoked full strength cigs, 6 mg/ml may be a bit low strength for you, at least at first. It's fine to test with, though equally you can test without using the nicotine liquid. You'll likely want to order some flavorings, and many of the places that sell flavorings also sell PG USP, handy to use when mixing.

(If you mix 5:1 VG to your PG nic you will have juice that's about 16% PG, 84% VG. Many newer vapers prefer more like 80% PG, to get stronger throat hit, unless they have sensitivity to PG.)

Good luck!
The flavorings may take up to 20% of the final juice, depending on which flavorings you use and how strong you want the flavors to be.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
For things like standard The Perfumers Apprentice (TPA) flavorings, I use 8 - 12% depending on how many flavorings are going into a mix. I make a tobacco with 12% Seedmans Commercial concentrate, 3% hazelnut, and just a few drops per 10ml (about 0.7%) of TPA's Tobacco Absolute diluted.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
The general rule on flavorings is to start low, like 10% or less and work your way up. It's easier to add more flavor than to take it away. Remember, when you first mix a juice it probably won't taste all that good. Set it aside for a few days if it isn't what you expected and try it again. Most of the time the flavors will intensify. Also, write down the recipes you've tried whether they work or not so you can duplicate them later, or avoid them if it doesn't work out.

i am new to vaping and im going to be making my own. i wont be using nic juice yet. im trying to get away from nicotine. ive got usp glycerin, capella and lorann flavoring, ethyl maltol ,and distilled water im trying to make eliquid without nicotine and i have 10 ml bottles...im terrible at percentages so could you tell me or post it in the forum what drop ratio i need of each....like 10 drops water, 20 drops glycerin....etc thank you

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
i am new to vaping and im going to be making my own. i wont be using nic juice yet. im trying to get away from nicotine. ive got usp glycerin, capella and lorann flavoring, ethyl maltol ,and distilled water im trying to make eliquid without nicotine and i have 10 ml bottles...im terrible at percentages so could you tell me or post it in the forum what drop ratio i need of each....like 10 drops water, 20 drops glycerin....etc thank you

You have 10ml bottles AND you have trouble with percentages?

Um, man...

So 10% = 0.10, therefore 10% of 10ml is 1ml (0.10x10)

Try one of the many calculators that were linked.

Next realize that drops vary based on the dropper used and the thickness of the liquid. Capella drops are pretty consistent through their bottles at 36 drops per ml. VG is usually a much lower number of drops per ml. Loranns is thinner so it would have a higher number of drops per ml.

I know that Scubabatdan's calculator linked in Markfm's post will allow you to adjust the number of drops per ml for each component, so that may be your best route if you are using drops to measure with.

Picking a fairly tough row to hoe being new to vaping, cutting nic out, and learning DIY mixing at the same time. I can tell you're the type to jump into the deep end without a lifeguard on duty and maybe during a thunderstorm. I like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread