Pizza Dave Delivers - The Nova Kit by Geekvape

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone, Pizza Dave here, delivering to you a review of the Geekvape Nova Kit. This kit was sent to me by the folks over at Geekvape for review. The Nova is the latest mod released by Geekvape and features the same chipset as the very popular Aegis Legend. In short, this is basically an Aegis Legend, in a flashier body. This lightweight, 200w device features a metal frame, gorgeous resin side panels, and a design that is a bit of a throwback. The kit also comes with the Cerberus Sub-ohm Mesh tank. Let’s dive right in, go over the operation, see how it vapes, and as always, I will give my final thoughts down at the bottom.

WHAT YOU GET

• - 1 Geekvape Nova Mod
  • - 1 Cerberus 4ml tank
  • - 2 Aero Mesh .2-ohm coils
  • - 1 User Manual
  • - 1 Bag of spare parts
  • - 1 spare 4 ml Bubble glass

- Available in two frames, silver and gunmetal. The resin is available in several colors including Flair, Onyx, Cobalt, and ember. In normal terms, Blue/orange, black/gray, blue, and red.

STOCK COLORS
41epelc.jpg

PACKAGING
cLLnYoE.jpg

OUT OF BOX
kTV1oZT.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

Out of the gate, Geekvape puts together a nice presentation. The box it comes in matches the resin on the device and when you open the box, all you see is the mod. The resin on mine is silky smooth and doesn’t show the lines that many others mention in their reviews. I am not sure if it is a color thing, but my Onyx model is smooth as silk. The resin is also well done on this device, and frankly if it wasn’t, it wouldn’t be a great looking mod as it is the main attraction. For being a boxy mod, it surprisingly feels quite good in the hand. The edges aren’t sharp, and the resin offers a soft feel to the body overall. I think the fact that it is light weight helps a lot as well as you don’t have the grip it super hard to feel secure. The Voopoo Drag has a similar body, but the weight and edges are not nearly as comfortable in my opinion. The batteries are inserted behind a large side battery door. Mine is held firmly in place and has zero movement what so ever. The battery bay is very user friendly, and they included just the right amount of battery ribbon to assist in remove, without being overly excessive. Another thing I should mention is the Cerberus tank that comes with the Gunmetal framed Novas matches the mod body well, while the silver framed Novas get a clashing polished stainless tank.

OPERATION

Operating this device is the exact same as the Geekvape Legend. It takes a little bit to get used to not having a full menu, but in no time it all makes sense. I will do a quick run down on button combinations and navigation of the screen for all modes.

- 5 clicks of the fire button will power on and power off the devices (cool startup logo as well)

- Pressing the fire button and down will dim the screen

- Pressing the fire button and the up button will brighten the screen

- Pressing both up and down simultaneously will lock the adjustment buttons, but it will still fire

- 3 clicks of the fire button will highlight the mode on top of the screen. From this point you can press up or down to cycle through the modes as follows.

• - Power
  • - Temp Control – Nickel
  • - Temp Control – SS
  • - Temp Control – Titanium
  • - Temp Control – TCR
  • - Wattage curve – 5 points can be set for a curve
  • - Bypass

When the top is highlighted, press up and down simultaneously to cycle the screen color options of Blue, Lighter Blue, and Red.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO GALLERY

NOVA KIT GALLERY

xip7kov.jpg

gbzSrEG.jpg

TzrXb1F.jpg

EVUhgTW.jpg

ZoE8Ar2.jpg

ShJJ7DZ.jpg

uwSTrT6.jpg

N5J7AxQ.jpg

6GGrx5x.jpg

83rb2zs.jpg

HOW IT VAPES

Basically, if you vaped an Aegis Legend, the experience is the same. The buttons all feel nice and clicky, and when it comes to the vape, I have no major complaints. The battery life concerns with the early AS chip firmware have been tuned to offer better life. I primarily used mine with the included Cerberus tank, so it was sitting in that 55w range for the most part. I did dabble in temp control just a hair, but not enough to give a solid opinion on it. I did some dry burn tests with a rda and found it did taper off the power enough to not char the cotton too much. I also did a chain vape test with a SS coil and factory SS settings and could feel the power reduction as it dried out and never got a full dry hit. I would say for most people they could fine tune this enough for a decent TC vape, but like I said, I am far from an expert on TC, so I would strongly suggest looking into some other reviews by guys that strictly use that mode. As I always do, I like to cover the included tank in the how it vapes section. This time around we have the Cerberus Sub-Ohm tank, which uses the same Aero Coils as the Aero tank on the Geekvape Legend. My experience with this tank is it appears to have a slight edge over the Aero tank. Flavor from the included mesh coils is much better than standard round, but it still lacks behind some of the competition. I would much rather vape on a Horizon Tech Falcon or some of the Freemax mesh tanks instead as they have set the bar for mesh as of late. It isn’t a slouch by any means, but I feel the biggest weakness is coil life. These coils are smaller, and are baby beast compatible, so they just don’t have the surface area of the competition. The tank construction on the Cerberus is more refined than the Aero tank and everything fits together nicer overall. With 4ml capacity it doesn’t last the longest and will require a few fills to get through a day of vaping. One of the biggest pros is how well it matches. It is tough to find other atomizers that match this frame color as perfectly as the Cerberus, and I am one that digs the matchy matchiness of it.

kg0z3g1.jpg

TANK PROS

• Flavor is middle road of current mesh tanks
  • Matches the device perfectly
  • Has great style in my opinion
  • Makes for a solid kit for someone starting
  • Baby beast compatible

TANK CONS

• Coil life isn’t the greatest
  • There are other mesh coil tanks that outperform it
  • Capacity could be a little larger
  • Slightly noisy

FINAL THOUGHTS

Well, do I like it, or don’t I? Personally, the resin on this really makes it look great. I totally dig the 3-year-old styling and think many would enjoy it for a bit of a throwback feel. The construction feels solid, the chip works well, and the weight of it is like a feather. Not like a feather, where it feels cheap, but it’s just so great to carry with you everywhere. The display is the same as the Legend, but without the protective layer it appears much brighter and offers better visibility on sunny days. I have zero complaints with the buttons, rattles, or fitment of the battery door at all. One small con is the frame color options. It is tough to find atomizers that match the gunmetal or silver frames. Yes, Geekvape has some solid options (Zeus, Zeus Dual, and Creed), but outside of those it becomes more difficult. Another con is the width of the device, as it can only handle a 25mm without overhang. I think that this devices as more pros than cons and for $65, I think it is a solid kit. If the design appeals to you I think you would be pleasantly designed with the performance and overall satisfaction the Nova can provide.

MOD PROS

• Lightweight design
  • Great resin color options
  • Fit and finish feels solid
  • No rattles internally or with the buttons
  • Firmware upgradable

MOD CONS

• Frame colors make it hard to match other atomizers
  • Limited to 25mm atomizer width

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Geekvape for sending it my way for review! A quick search on the web and I found that this kit is going for as low as $65-75.

NOVA
Geek Vape NOVA 200W TC Starter Kit | Vape Kits

GEEKVAPE SITE

NOVA Kit

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread