Pipe mode, general questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wall

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Racine, WI
I am planning on making my first mod (510), but was considering going with a pipe rather than an existing flashlight to start. Good/Bad/Ambitious?

I am trying to find somewhere that sells springs for the base of the battery tube.

I was considering going with an RCA connector mod, but I think I want it to be as short as possible since the tube itself will be long, even going as far as to remove the standard cartridge and attach some kind of tube that enable direct dripping without putting my mouth directly on the atomizer.

I guess i will be exposing my naivete with some of these questions but to start:

How does the ground work in a pipe mod? I am familiar with complete circuits, etc, so would I have to run a wire from the base of the batteries up to the top to complete the ground end of the circuit? Or does the pipe (if it is conductive) act as the ground?

If you used a 5v regulator in order to be able to switch from 1 battery to 2 batteries and have it regulate that, will it work? Or will being below the 5.5 volt cut off make it not work? (if not, possible to add a switch that goes around the regulator when not in 5v mode?)

For a pipe mod how do you secure the top (positive) end inside the pipe? Mold some silicon plugs or find some rubber washers that give it a tight fit when it is slid in?

When working with a metal pipe and fitting an attomizer battery adaptor on the top, do you need to seal that somehow to prevent conductivity with the pipe?

Has anyone made one of these with an 18650 3000mah battery, or is that just overkill when you consider it being 15x + stronger than a normal 510 battery?

Thanks for any help, Ive been digging for a few days and will keep digging through the forums.

WALL

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
I am planning on making my first mod (510), but was considering going with a pipe rather than an existing flashlight to start. Good/Bad/Ambitious?

Ambitious, but not overly so. The benefit of a flashlight (or battery box) is the time savings of having half the parts done/installed already.

I am trying to find somewhere that sells springs for the base of the battery tube.

I'm working on a mod that is housed in a small plastic box (but NOT a battery box) and what I did last night was take the "guts" off a battery holder and use them inside my box. I know standard springs can be bought at most hardware stores but not battery springs. There's got to be someone online that sells standard battery springs but I've never looked so don't know, sorry.

I was considering going with an RCA connector mod, but I think I want it to be as short as possible since the tube itself will be long, even going as far as to remove the standard cartridge and attach some kind of tube that enable direct dripping without putting my mouth directly on the atomizer.

I guess i will be exposing my naivete with some of these questions but to start:

How does the ground work in a pipe mod? I am familiar with complete circuits, etc, so would I have to run a wire from the base of the batteries up to the top to complete the ground end of the circuit? Or does the pipe (if it is conductive) act as the ground?

Typically the pipe itself is the ground.

If you used a 5v regulator in order to be able to switch from 1 battery to 2 batteries and have it regulate that, will it work? Or will being below the 5.5 volt cut off make it not work? (if not, possible to add a switch that goes around the regulator when not in 5v mode?)

Great question and I'd love to know the answer too! One of the experienced modders care to chime in on this?

For a pipe mod how do you secure the top (positive) end inside the pipe? Mold some silicon plugs or find some rubber washers that give it a tight fit when it is slid in?

When working with a metal pipe and fitting an attomizer battery adaptor on the top, do you need to seal that somehow to prevent conductivity with the pipe?

I'm only familar with the 901 connectors but the outside is ground and the center part (the positive part) is seperated from the outer by a silicon "plug". So (at least) in the case of the 901, the part touching the pipe is ground just like the pipe is.

Has anyone made one of these with an 18650 3000mah battery, or is that just overkill when you consider it being 15x + stronger than a normal 510 battery?

Overkill? Is there such a thing? If nothing else you'll get less voltage droppoff (and of course longer running time). Personally though, I prefer the smallest unit possible that will work for a reasonable time. Dual 18650's + other components + "packaging" = bigger than ideal for me. I want something I can carry in my pocket and use descreetly that's mostly covered by my hand when in use. I know others like bigger-is-better though so each to his own!

Thanks for any help, Ive been digging for a few days and will keep digging through the forums.

Yeah, these forums are great with some very helpful, talented people. Unfortunitly, I'm neither of those so hopefully someone else will come along and answer your ?s.

Bump! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread