PGA extraction: cold or warm?

Groenling

Oct 22, 2023
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and my English might be not so good ( I am Dutch). I have a lot of questions about the ethanol extraction. I have been thinking about doing my own extractions for some time now and I hae been reading about the hot ethanol extraction methode. I don't have a slow cooker or something similar so before I invest in equipment I would like to know if you could also start with a cold maceration in alcohol for a few months and then freeze filter. Has anyone tried this before?
If so does it result in a different taste than when you do the 12 hour hot bath first and then filter freeze?

Groenling

Oct 22, 2023
Finally finished reading the full thread on tobacco extraction using heated ethanol. Thanks to everyone who participated in that thread! And a special thanks to Str8vision. His ability to translate his experiences in easy to understand reading material and his semi-scientific approach to the matter has helped me alot.
So... I now know a cold maceration for about 6 months should make a decent tobacco concentrate ( after freeze filtering and reduction).
I still have to do some planning and shopping before I will start my first macerates. Luckily I am able to get 96% ethanol for a decent price ( 25 euros per liter) .
I'm wondering if there are still some other NET diy-rs out here?

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
The biggest difference between Cold Maceration and Heated Ethanol Extraction is time. Taste is slightly different as Cold Maceration captures the nuances of the tobacco (particularly cased or flavored tobaccos) while Heated Ethanol makes a slightly stronger flavor.
If you are looking to capture an English Blend, or any blend with Latakia, the Heated Ethanol extraction would probably be better. But if you are looking for a Va/Bur/Per blend or a top note blend, then I would recommend Cold Maceration.
Cold Maceration is easy - just put one ounce of tobacco in a half pint jar, fill with PG, and set it up someplace cool and dark (closet shelf ?) for three months.
If you've read Str8vision's thread, then you should have an idea of what is involved in Heated Ethanol Extraction.
Either way, Filtration Is The Key !!!!

Mucko

Aug 12, 2022
Hey... nice to meet you...
Started with NET's not so long ago...
I've got 2 brands of additive free Virginia based tobacco...
Pueblo Classic and a Belgian brand Sauvage...
Both are in sealed jars, 30 gram of tobacco topped off with 300 ml PG...
My 'plan' is to let them sit in a closet for 3 months .
Made a small batch of 5mg tobacco and 50ml PG...
That will be my test ... heat extraction...
In approximately 45 degrees Celcius 8 hours and cool down overnight... And the plan is doing this for 4 days...
Then let it rest for a few days and start with the filtration process...
A friend of mine did a longer maceration, about a year.. and gave me a sample of his Pueblo...
I liked the flavour... but I missed a 'darker and more smokey' flavour... I've got some Flavorah's..
Do you have any thoughts of suggestions about my 'way of doing it' and perhaps a thought to spice up that flavour?

Thanx for reading...

Users who are viewing this thread