Status
Not open for further replies.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
So today I had the local vapor shop where my wife works make me some 20/80 pg/vg juices. Both juices were made at 6mg nic. Their standard mix is 60/40, and is what I typically use.

I filled the tank on my RSST and my AIOS and gave them a vape.

The throat hit was noticeably more intense in both them and I instantly noticed the peppery taste of nicotine. So much so, that I that I thought they may have accidentally sold me the wrong nicotine level. My wife went to the store to check, and the mix was correct: 6mg. Or at least that was what the bottle said, and I know these are diluted down from an initial 24mg VG base.

These two flavors at 60/40 at 6mg usually have a throat hit of zilch, which I am fine with. So I am confused....where is the throat hit coming from? Perhaps a wicking issue? Does VG carry nicotine better than PG? The vapor production from both atomizers is right on par with what I'd expect from each of them.

Any insight appreciated. I'll vape these, but will go back to at least a 50/50 mix afterwards.

Last edited:

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
That is a complex question that I have not answered yet. I just order 50/50 pg/vg and take what comes . I have so many samples from venders at different nic levels as my collection of eliquid has grown. It stlll is hit or miss for me. Some people say that a higher nic makes for better throat hit. I like a higher VG and a bit more of waft/vape to get a throat hit.

Last edited:

holy_handgrenade

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
There's too many variables that we dont know to give you a straight answer. You said they mixed it up for you; how did that do that? In front of you? It may just be that the flavorings used are causing the unintentional throat hit due to concentration not being mixed or dispersed evenly in the juice.

Likewise, if there's been zero (or just hours) since this was mixed, there's a chance, as most flavorings, are made with alcohol (PGA) which also can contribute to a throat hit.

Likewise, if it hasnt steeped or been mixed thoroughly, the mix might be right at 6mg per ml, but you do realize that is 60mg of nicotine in a 10ml bottle or 180mg of nicotine for a 30ml bottle. Without proper steeping or mixing, you may be getting an uneven distribution of that nicotine causing a much harsher than normal flavor/th from the nic.

For what all the vendors have been marketing as freshness sometimes isnt a good thing to vape. Might want to let it steep a bit and try it again. You may notice that with a thorough mixing (shaking the bottle vigorously for a few minutes) you'll get both a different flavor and th. If you dont, perhaps some steeping: remove the cap and remove the dropper if there is one and set it up and away from sight in a dark place for at least 24 hours, as long as 72; this will evaporate any water and or alcohol in the mix. When done, put the cap back on and shake the bottle vigorously and try again. If it's still giving you a problem, set it aside (covered, with cap on, out of sunlight's reach) for 1-4 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
From everything that I've read over the years, it's PG that gives throat hit and the VG gives the vapor.

This is also what I understood, and has generally been my experience....which is why I was caught off guard.

I'm thinking the slower wicking of VG may be the cause? But the taste is not burnt and vapor is excellent. Taste is a little less, but I expected that with more VG.

holy_handgrenade

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I have a tough time understanding throat hit. For me vapor gives me throat hit? What am I missing?

Throat hit is the harshness, cant quite describe as pain, but scratchiness when inhaling. Analogs gave a unique throat hit that becomes almost desirable, which vaping cant quite duplicate. Various factors play into throat hit including device, nicotine levels, and ingredient ratio (PG, VG, PGA, etc)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
The peppery taste is the nic. As Tyo said above, shake that bottle till you see tiny bubbles throughout the liquid. Do this each time you dispense the liquid into whatever you're putting it into. At 6mg, you shouldn't be tasting a strong peppery taste. If after shaking the bottle really well you are still getting strong peppery sensation, they may have made a mistake in mixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread