PG articles: bad for pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
I stumbled across this article whilst searching for something else.

Pet Food and Treat Ingredient Propylene Glycol

Wondering if anyone else had run across this information. AND if it can be bad for our pets to ingest it, what does that say about vaping it?

I realize that PG is in asthma inhalers (I use one) but to what extent? Does anyone know the %? When we use PG, I'm guessing it's at a much higher level than what goes into inhalers.

Just a few thoughts for the day!

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
I know that PG is considered a contaminent in cat food. I don't think a lot of it is exhaled although thats on my list of questions for a paper I'm writing. I'll try to remember where this thread was and post when I find out. Also, oral ingestion is different from inhalation. As far as the asthma inhalers, I don't know, and I have one. I would be willing to bet that we are taking in a good deal more PG then the occasional use of a rescue inhaler. I have to add this though. I started vaping a month ago and have been off my daily asthma med for almost 2 weeks without a problem. Think I used the albuterol once since then. So, I am pretty comfortable with the idea that vaping is safer for most people.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
I agree, but wonder why it has suddenly popped up (especially with all the "pro PG" articles that are written: it's in asthma inhalers, proven to fight germs, etc).

I have only been vaping a short while, and prefer the VG blends. And I have noticed an improvement in my breathing. However, this could obviously be contributed to NOT smoking (or less haven't completely made the switch yet) analogs and their 4000 bad ingredients.

As to the differences between inhalation and ingestion; I had thought that inhaling a chemical gets it faster into your bloodstream. The particles are taken into the lungs, and then absorbed directly into one's system. No?

My main concerns being- if PG is that bad for pets to eat... why has it not been proven to be harmful to humans? Are they more sensitive to the chemical compounds? If so, should we not vape around our pets?

redrhino

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NY,CA,FL
I stumbled across this article whilst searching for something else.

Pet Food and Treat Ingredient Propylene Glycol

Wondering if anyone else had run across this information. AND if it can be bad for our pets to ingest it, what does that say about vaping it?

I realize that PG is in asthma inhalers (I use one) but to what extent? Does anyone know the %? When we use PG, I'm guessing it's at a much higher level than what goes into inhalers.

Just a few thoughts for the day!

WOW.... Thank you for posting this article....I had no idea.....I guess you live you learn... Never knew they put PG in Pet Food....

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
Inhalation is faster, just doesn't neccesarily indicate what and how much is absorbed. That's what I'm trying to find out. I've found a lot of good research studies on people from outside the US. There's one I downloaded but haven't had a chance to read yet that is supposed to have what is exhaled and percentages. I'll link to it when I get the chance, today or tomorrow. I know how you feel. Right now, I just try to stay away from my cats when I'm vaping. I already have to make sure the juice is put away every time because 2 of them are very interested in it.

The Pro PG articles are probably showing up because there's a growing awareness of what people are consuming and the Food Industry does not want to stop using it. I tend to be a bit suspicious of large industries though, so take that for what its worth.

Last edited:

satoshi

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
NJ
"Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep section (a cosmetic safety database) states their researchers reviewed available research and found that this ingredient is linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, allergies, and skin, eye, and lung irritation."

That's not too encouraging, but ultimately, the long-term effects of inhaling PG in the quantities we do with an e-cig are completely unknown.

Asthma inhalers you only get 2 puffs 4-5 times/day tops. We're all vaping more than 8-10 puffs per day. And FWIW, the ingredients in my inhaler don't list PG:

"It contains a microcrystalline suspension of albuterol sulfate in propellant HFA-134a (1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane), ethanol, and oleic acid." Proventil HFA (Albuterol Inhalation) Drug Information: Uses, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Warnings at RxList

May be in other inhalers, though.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Sat: I think that might be the new inhaler I'm on (made me switch last year, and come to think of it, I'm not sure why)

Red: you are welcome. I do believe that's the most I've ever seen you write in one post ;)

Sher: yes, please do post the link when you get a chance.

I realize that vaping is probably better than smoking analogs. But I really don't want to find out 5 years from now that I've developed some horrendous condition from constantly inhaling VG or PG.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
<snip> I've found a lot of good research studies on people from outside the US. There's one I downloaded but haven't had a chance to read yet that is supposed to have what is exhaled and percentages. I'll link to it when I get the chance, today or tomorrow. <snip>
The Pro PG articles are probably showing up because there's a growing awareness of what people are consuming and the Food Industry does not want to stop using it. I tend to be a bit suspicious of large industries though, so take that for what its worth.

I found an article on another thread that seems to refute the inhalation information on pets. However, the studies were done on monkeys.

TESTS FOR THE CHRONIC TOXICITY OF PROPYLEXE GLYCOL AND TRIETHYLENE GLYCOL ON MONKEYS AND RATS BY VAPOR INHALATION AND ORAL ADMINISTRATION ? JPET

underwater goddess

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2010
the dark depths
I was curious and spent a while trying to google up an asthma inhaler that actually used PG. Couldn't find one. I tend not to worry much, I seem to have an iron constitution, but that claim, which I've seen in the forum, might be a myth. Anyone find a PG asthma inhaler?

Google is not the best place to look up the filler ingredients of medications.

I am allergic to many things, so everytime my doctor prescribes a new medication, I have to find out exactly what's in it before I start taking it. I used to search google for the ingredients, not find them, then ask the pharmacist for the ingredients list. Now, after looking at google and failing umpteen times, I don't even bother with google and ask the pharmacist straight away.

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
As always, some things are safe for one species and not another. Cats are extemely intolerant of regular asprin. It can kill them. Yet, it is safe for a dog to ingest buffered asprin for pain in small doses.

Garlic, is said to be mildly toxic to dogs and yet it is found in many treats.

With so many people using e-cigs, I hope that more studies will be done and will include 2nd hand vaping (people AND pets). Only time will tell.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Well from what I can gather, they have been using PG for years in testing out different drugs. It's often used as a suspension to get the medication into the lung. Perhaps it had been used in an inhaler in the past, or maybe the information 'morphed' into "used in inhalers".

Here are a few articles I found:
CIS001 Extension Study of Cyclosporine Inhalation Solution - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Study on Regenerative Treatment of Intra-Bony Defects - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

and talks about the ingredients in Proventil

Proventil HFA Official FDA information, side effects and uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread