PG and VG. What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to this forum, but I've been vaping for years and I'm learning how woefully ignorant I still am about vaping. I never realized that juice came in different solutions. The store I used to go to never mentioned what was in their juice except the flavorings. Online I found out that there are two different main components of juice. PG and VG. All of the online stores ask me what percentage of these to put in my bottles and I have no idea what to pick. I have no idea what the percentages were in my old juice at the store.

My question is, what difference does it make between the different Vegetable Glycerin and Propylene Glycerin ratios? What do I want more of in my juice? I enjoy a big throat hit and like lots of smoke.

Thank you for your help!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Ahh. Thank you very much!! That is going to help a ton in selecting ratios then. My mother in law enjoys more vapor while my husband and I enjoy the throat hit more.

Yay for Mom-in-Law! Next thing you'll know, she'll be sub-ohmming and filling the room with clouds!!!!

Congrats to you all :) I personally like about 50/50 - I've tried as much as 80p/20v, and I don't care for it. Mixing my own these days, and because the flavorings are PG-based, I'm probably in the neighborhood of 60p/40v when all is said and done. I don't think I can tell much more difference than that...

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
They are Proplyene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin.

Some people have an allergy to PG.

VG is thicker and sometimes thick juice has a problem wicking.

You can thin juice out with water. A tiny bit goes a long way.

Most flavorings come mixed in with PG so there is usually a minimum level of PG.

A small number of flavorings can be found mixed with VG and you can find juice without PG but the flavors are limited.

Since VG produces vapor and PG produces throat hit you have to decide which you want more and come to a ratio that suits you. Different juices will taste different at the same ratios.

Some flavorings have a bit of a throat hit, but for the life of me I can't remember what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread