Status
Not open for further replies.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
An (temporary) increase in blood pressure has been discussed and accepted as one of the downsides of using nicotine and is not new. Similarly using caffeine has much the same effect. The arterial stiffness aspect is a result of the increase in blood pressure and is, as far as i know, also temporary.
I've only glanced at the study but i cannot find any reference to dosage. Without that key metric then it is very difficult to determine the validity of potential harm.
I would also question the equipment being used in this 'test' - (eGo-T CE4 vaporizer) - and whether that would be considered a typical device these days. Also, what parameters were being used and whether the equipment was being used in a real-world way.
Interesting article but, for me, no more than that.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I see it as just more scare tactics to try to demonize vaping during the time so many of these studies were coming out. I see this one was published October 2018 so is not new. Pharmaceutical companies, tobacco companies and yes even governments around the world make too much money off cigarettes. Along comes something that could conceivably wipe up smoking. The big money makers are not going to allow their cash cow to dry up so they are going to keep folks afraid of vaping. Vaping is not 100% healthy but it is a lot more healthy than burning tobacco.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
A lot of us have said over the years that problems might appear with vaping as time goes by. But the benefits of vaping are already clear. I was diagnosed with COPD and it was getting worse, I still couldn't quit smoking until vaping came along. Today I would likely be dead or dragging an oxygen bottle around. Unless something worse than that comes along I'm good with vaping.

I picked up this sentence from one of the other linked articles, about heat-not-burn.

"Further studies are needed to better understand the cardiovascular effects of heat-not-burn tobacco products."

That seems to be a common factor in all these articles, the results are always preliminary. We found something, we need further studies to see if it is significant. Those further studies never appear. Still it's always enough for them to come to the obvious logical conclusion. We need to ban vaping just in case the problem is real, but not smoking for which we already know that the problem is real.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    An (temporary) increase in blood pressure has been discussed and accepted as one of the downsides of using nicotine and is not new. Similarly using caffeine has much the same effect. The arterial stiffness aspect is a result of the increase in blood pressure and is, as far as i know, also temporary.
    I've only glanced at the study but i cannot find any reference to dosage. Without that key metric then it is very difficult to determine the validity of potential harm.
    I would also question the equipment being used in this 'test' - (eGo-T CE4 vaporizer) - and whether that would be considered a typical device these days. Also, what parameters were being used and whether the equipment was being used in a real-world way.
    Interesting article but, for me, no more than that.

I totally agree. It's a far leap from high blood pressure to PVD which is caused by many things of which chronic hypertension is only one. If a person has HTN and smokes, he is better off vaping because of less toxins in vape. Of course, he is even better off using e cigarettes to quit altogether, but high blood pressure can be controlled with medications. Since vaping is so relatively new, they cannot say someone has gotten PVD strictly from vaping as most vapers have a long history of smoking. Of course, anyone who vapes should watch their blood pressure.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    There on no free rides, there is a cost for everything, life is a constant toll booth, most deny or can't accept this. Vaping is the lessor of the two evils, but I'm sure it has it's consequences. When a 80 year old dies, there's always the question, what he died of? Answer: 80, hell that's enough to kill anyone.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I thought vaping is better for you

It might be, it might not be. No one truly knows. It hasn't been around nearly as long as smoking so there isn't enough data to compare.

The one country that seems to be pro-vaping, and who puts out favorable vaping studies, also has no tobacco agriculture industry to protect so for all we know their studies are biased toward pushing people to vape over smoking...for their profit. You can't trust anyone, especially a government.

People on ECF who smoked for years and then switched to vaping have reported a marked positive change in health, but then that doesn't mean the vaping isn't degrading their health in another way.

As with any vice, it's your choice whether to gamble your health or not. I thought this was common sense, really.

The only thing that we know that is safer than smoking is just plain quitting smoking and not replacing it with another bad habit. But that doesn't mean you won't get some of the same health problems smoking can give you (ie. lung diseases, cancer, high BP, artery diseases, etc). That's life.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    There on no free rides, there is a cost for everything, life is a constant toll booth, most deny or can't accept this. Vaping is the lessor of the two evils, but I'm sure it has it's consequences. When a 80 year old dies, there's always the question, what he died of? Answer: 80, hell that's enough to kill anyone.

HEY ......Wait a minute!! I resemble that!!!!! :shock:
    (turns 81 in July)

TestyToo

Multiple ID Suspension
    Jun 25, 2022
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

JSSS

Jun 25, 2022
    PAD/ better known as peripheral artery disease is LACK of normal blood flow, especially in extremities. Blood pressure is low in this case.
    As for arterial "stiffness", that is also caused by high cholesterol. Smoking ciggs, according to the medical profession, also contributes to high cholesterol. That "stiffness" takes years to develop [ from cholesterol] Also, nicotine contracts the arteries [ temporarily] that could cause high BP.
    My take-away is don't vape nicotine if you are concerned. [ try "0" nicotine with your favorite ].

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    This is a bit disappointing , never heard of this disease till now seems serious. Any thoughts on it, I thought vaping is better for you.

E-cigarettes and cigarettes worsen peripheral and central hemodynamics as well as arterial stiffness: A randomized, double-blinded pilot study - PubMed

Vaping corrected my PAD which had been caused from smoking. I went under anesthesia not knowing if they'd be taking my leg. They saved it, but that was the end of my smoking days (13-Nov-2011). Doce said if I ever put another cig to my lips, the leg wouldn't survive much longer. I listened...

My arteries cleared within two years, and I've been clear since.

I'm sure vaping has SOME negative effect, compared to nothing, but compared to smoking it's a vast improvement.

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2014
    Seattle
    I was flirting with COPD symptoms. though I have low BP (regardless of health status). My extremities often have low blood flow. Though only started vaping again this year, several symptoms have cleared up from vaping.

What puzzles me most is twenty somethings that talk about vaping and taste, while never having smoked. While it is better than picking up cigs, I just ask myself why, you know they have no idea how to make juice, and only go for 50mg nic salt disposables. I have some issues with those, since I purchased for the final cut off from smoking. They are not quality controlled from the different textures of vape in different but same disposables. And, some times I can chug the juice, but there seems to be no nicotine (while 35mg pod juice will set me coughing).

My belief is best to end up making own juice if have health issues (I do). You know what's in it, and hopefully, you know what's in your equipment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread