Pb Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobNJ74

Sep 15, 2009
NJ
Ok I've read some posts about amotizer's failing at the solder joint and I'm forced to ask a dumb question.. Is the solder being used lead free? Having worked in the electronics field I know that import/export of solder not Pb free is a no no, however these devices do come from China.. I also know that Pb free solder tends to be a little more durable than the leaded version. I did check my 510's box for the Pb Free logo however I didn't find one. So does anyone know?

Rob

RobNJ74

Sep 15, 2009
NJ
Lead Solder is Cheaper, and easier to solder with ... I'd assume 60/40 but I have no idea.

I use 96/4 and it is a REAL biotch .... If these guys can do itty bitty solder joints with 96/4, the gun or tools they must be using to make that happen, let alone heat up the element while doing, must be top notch.

Off topic - 96/4 I would generally use my Weller set at 650F (assuming 25ga.) And a very fine tip. Keeping the tip well tinned it's not too bad if you have some liquid flux handy.

Rob

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Off topic - 96/4 I would generally use my Weller set at 650F (assuming 25ga.) And a very fine tip. Keeping the tip well tinned it's not too bad if you have some liquid flux handy.

Rob

At the shop, we have one of the Automatic Feeding Wellers, and a hand held Weller, and a 40 watt Radio Shack iron ... The 40 watt ($9.00) iron from Radio Shack blows the 2 wellers out of the water !!!! LOL. The automatic feeding one never gets used.

We only use 96/4 ... When Brazing (i think its called) I find if I arch the tip, then tin it up, brazing is really easy. For joints, fine tip is best :)

RobNJ74

Sep 15, 2009
NJ
At the shop, we have one of the Automatic Feeding Wellers, and a hand held Weller, and a 40 watt Radio Shack iron ... The 40 watt ($9.00) iron from Radio Shack blows the 2 wellers out of the water !!!! LOL. The automatic feeding one never gets used.

We only use 96/4 ... When Brazing (i think its called) I find if I arch the tip, then tin it up, brazing is really easy. For joints, fine tip is best :)

I never liked the autofeeding models, more of a pain then anything else (for me anyway). On a side note, if ya need anything small soldered that's a real pain give me a yell, being laidoff I need a hobby and smt work is 1 of my specialties.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread