Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
So after getting hit with a large sum fraudulent transaction yesterday that pretty much left me with some change in my bank account, I am trying to figure out where to go from here.

I don't want to get a prepaid Walmart card or the like as I would prefer something easy to use, transfer funds etc... I don't want to have to go out and make a deposit to my pre paid card every time the urge hits me to make a purchase. For one I live a good distance form the closest town that would have banks, walmart a etc...

I have a Paypal account and while I understand vendors don't and can't use them here in the US I am wondering about a pay pal debit card that is linked to your Paypal account. I can transfer money into there (I believe) instantly from my bank account through my Paypal. I need to still do a little more research on how immediate that transfer is but if it would work for what I am looking for and only deposit that amount to be spent, is that a safer alternative. It got me thinking about it. Any card you enter on the web is potentially at risk but if there is only the amount you want to spend and you spend it then it does not leave that account susceptible to fraudulent charges. So anyone that uses a Paypal debit card, does this hold true, is it safer. I also know Paypal has your accounts listed but if you are not actually using your bank account could that still be affected?
ughhh, what a headache. Today I will spend a good part of the day and time off from work to get things in order on my account so that the bills that get debited tomorrow will be covered.
i lost a little faith in mankind as a whole yesterday. You hear anout stuff like that hapoening all the time but You never really get that feeling until it happens to you.

Prism

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I use my PayPal debit card for all my ecig purchases and never had a problem. It does work just like a Prepaid as long as you do not link your bank account to it but no monthly fees. I transfer money from my bank account but don't allow any overages to be taken from there. Be sure to set it up that way.
I have no idea if calling is safer than online. I guess when it comes right down to it the person who runs your cc over the phone has your # too> I used to process CC's for deposits and it still goes in the computer so I think your chances are the same either way.

casey8579

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2009
Near Wilmington NC
If you don't select a Backup payment source for your paypal debit card, you can't overspend because only the amount in your actual paypal account is available to spend.

Although it does take a day or 2 to transfer funds from your bank to the paypal account, it works like a prepaid credit card but without the upfront and loading fees. Just have to plan ahead a bit.

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
So I can do this through my Paypal account and even though I have my bank info in there it will not cover over spending in the event some one tries to use it as long as I don't select a back up source for it? Just want to make sure that if it is in the same account with my other account numbers they would not automatically use the other accounts without my ok in that event.

Thanks. For now I am going to get an Amex prepaid and while I wait for the Paypal card. Hoping to go ahead and submit for one today.
Thanks for the insight

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
I decided to talk to my bank and get an account that is strictly for online purchases that links to a separate debit card. That way I can transfer ONLY the amount I am going to spend to that account which transfers immediately and use it and the balance goes back down to $0 until my next purchase, then transfer again and so on.
None of my other accounts will be linked to it, however it still shows up on my online banking accounts for easy access and transfer between accounts.
They typically have fees associated with additional checking accounts but they waived all fees for me since I was so upset about what happened. I had even contemplated switching banks to one that had virtual shopping cards and that is saying a lot since I have been with them for about 28 years.
Hopefully they will eventually get with the program and have the shop safe cards but until then I will have a little peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread