Travel and Vaping Pay attention in Nederlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

pass77

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
Switzerland
Hi,

so if you have to take off (including changing flights) in the Netherlands, be warned that the Dutch "Transport and Water Management Inspectorate" considers nicotine solution as (possibly) dangerous goods - you're liable to have your bottles confiscated.
Here is the email they sent me answering to my enquiry about their regulations:

Nicotine is classified as a dangerous good. It is very likely that the nicotine solution need to be classified as dangerous as well. If this substance is dangerous it must have a UN-number.

Generally it is not allowed to transport dangerous goods in your luggage. There are some substances/goods excluded from this rule, nicotine solutions are not one of them. Air operators can also apply their own company rules, which can be stricter than the general legislation.
We also advise you to contact the operator with whom you are going to fly concerning this substance.

If this substance is not allowed in your luggage you need to declare this as dangerous goods and use a company to make sure the goods comply with the legislation. For example you can use DHL to send this goods.​

Now, here's my experience: I brought with me a small eyedropper bottle with some juice in it (small quantity, so if it got confiscated it would not be a big deal). I packed it in the ziploc bag along with my other liquids (shampoo etc). I removed the label - I thought the big orange "toxic" sign on it would probably not help, and also without a label it just looked like eye drops or some other toiletry.

To be on the safe side, I had already prefilled and packed five carts, so if they got my liquid I would still be able to vape.

When leaving the airport, the security guy picked up the ziploc bag. It gave a long, careful look at the contents, then put it down and let me through. Now, he probably did not realize what the liquid was. Having an eyedropper bottle without "Nicotine" written all over it may have helped.

The e-cig itself and the carts went through without a hitch in my hand luggage (they were all packed together in a small bag - a Nintendo DS case to be exact, great for carrying EVOs).

So, my suggestion is: bring a small quantity of liquid in a non cospicuous bottle; a cosmetics bottle might help.

vape safely. :vapor:

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Please no drama here. I've been through Schipol at least a dozen times with my vape equipment. Never a problem both transit and entry into Netherlands always have my e-liquid in 20-30cc bottles in my 1 liter bag. Here enjoy a picture of the canal in Amsterdam.

IMG_3258.jpg

Torqueguy

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Hi,

so if you have to take off (including changing flights) in the Netherlands, be warned that the Dutch "Transport and Water Management Inspectorate" considers nicotine solution as (possibly) dangerous goods - you're liable to have your bottles confiscated.
Here is the email they sent me answering to my enquiry about their regulations:

Nicotine is classified as a dangerous good. It is very likely that the nicotine solution need to be classified as dangerous as well. If this substance is dangerous it must have a UN-number.

Generally it is not allowed to transport dangerous goods in your luggage. There are some substances/goods excluded from this rule, nicotine solutions are not one of them. Air operators can also apply their own company rules, which can be stricter than the general legislation.
We also advise you to contact the operator with whom you are going to fly concerning this substance.

If this substance is not allowed in your luggage you need to declare this as dangerous goods and use a company to make sure the goods comply with the legislation. For example you can use DHL to send this goods.​

Now, here's my experience: I brought with me a small eyedropper bottle with some juice in it (small quantity, so if it got confiscated it would not be a big deal). I packed it in the ziploc bag along with my other liquids (shampoo etc). I removed the label - I thought the big orange "toxic" sign on it would probably not help, and also without a label it just looked like eye drops or some other toiletry.

To be on the safe side, I had already prefilled and packed five carts, so if they got my liquid I would still be able to vape.

When leaving the airport, the security guy picked up the ziploc bag. It gave a long, careful look at the contents, then put it down and let me through. Now, he probably did not realize what the liquid was. Having an eyedropper bottle without "Nicotine" written all over it may have helped.

The e-cig itself and the carts went through without a hitch in my hand luggage (they were all packed together in a small bag - a Nintendo DS case to be exact, great for carrying EVOs).

So, my suggestion is: bring a small quantity of liquid in a non cospicuous bottle; a cosmetics bottle might help.

Vape safely. :vapor:

Thanks for the warning, for what it's worth however, I go to Amsterdam once a quarter for corporate meetings and Coffee with friends. I've flown in and out of Schipol, Frankfurt, Brussels and Paris without issues. I think if you bring in a quart of ejuice you may have a problem but a couple ounces would not be a problem.

I have a good friend in Rotterdam that flies to London twice a year just to buy ejuice and he indeed does bring back massive quantities, in his checked suitcase and never had a problem.

Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread