OT: Squirrels and doggies and cows, oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

plarkinjr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2011
Texas
www.facebook.com
Wader's Squirrel Army post reminded me..... I devised an animal categorization system some years ago by which I live, and encourage others to follow. Just thought I'd share:

All animals (aside from humans) fit into at least one of the following categories: Livestock, Pets, Wildlife, Vermin. ...and should be treated accordingly.

(note: which category an animal belongs to CAN vary by culture. (Pets in Asia might be livestock in the west, and vice versa). So, when in Rome.... )

By and large, an animal should NOT belong to more than one category.
Pigs should not be kept as pets.
Dogs should not be left to roam as wildlife.
Think long and hard before you begin transitioning an animal from its "proper" category into another.
Keeping a mountain lion or chimpanzee as a pet can be disastrous.

Note: Rabbits are special: they can, and do, belong in all 4 categories... and thus they are actually demons. (j/k about that last part) :)

Anyway, follow these simple rules and life for you and animals will be much more enjoyable. People break these rules, and it works... sometimes... for a while. If nothing else, social pressure ends up overtaking them.

endnote: Initially I was going to refer to Wader's squirrel army in the house as an abomination, but I'm glad to hear they are back in the wild and regaining their proper fear of humans. :thumb:

So, whaddya think? What are some other "special" animals which do well in more than one category?

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
As an animal lover I've always had a problem with fish and birds as pets. I guess because the birds can't fly like they should in the wild and fish in tanks just have such a limited space to swim. But i know I'm in the minority and have known lots of people that treated their birds and fish very well.
Too bad you didn't include people in your classification, cus I've known a few that I would classify as 'vermin'.:evil:

wader2k

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
NE Illinois
Who you calling an abomination?

25070_1419275729864_1471797365_3109.jpg

8^)

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
Note: Rabbits are special: they can, and do, belong in all 4 categories... and thus they are actually demons. (j/k about that last part) :)

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I love it!!

Couldn't help it, sorry couldn't find a better vid.

I'm an animal lover too and I think livestock can double as pets. Although I've never kept any.

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
On second thought, vermin make some cool pets too :) One time I had a rat in my kitchen and I couldn't kill it. It lived there for a few weeks before one of the dogs took care of the problem. I was seriously considering buying a live trap so I could catch it and release it to the wild. That's just the kind of person I am...I also let a spider live on my windowsill before an "intervention" took place by my room mates and it was gone too. Although I'm the one they always called for when they had roaches in their rooms! Yep, those were released back into the wild too!

Whistles

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2011
Hutchinson
we had two rats in Iraq that frequented our building.... One lived in the back of my fridge... he was addicted to nicotine he always stole a pack of my analogs "camel wide type" and would munch away... the other one lived accross the room and lived off Ramen...

We named them Hercules and Spider Man... Spidey could climb walls and Hercules didn't die... we hit that sucker with our rifles... golf clubs... batons.... hockey stick you name it... that sucker just took it... so finally we let them live and named the 2nd platoons' pets...

They were cool and yes I left my last pack of analogs for him to munch on... stupid little fiend......

kittypie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
Charlotte NC
we had two rats in Iraq that frequented our building.... One lived in the back of my fridge... he was addicted to nicotine he always stole a pack of my analogs "camel wide type" and would munch away... the other one lived accross the room and lived off Ramen...

We named them Hercules and Spider Man... Spidey could climb walls and Hercules didn't die... we hit that sucker with our rifles... golf clubs... batons.... hockey stick you name it... that sucker just took it... so finally we let them live and named the 2nd platoons' pets...

They were cool and yes I left my last pack of analogs for him to munch on... stupid little fiend......
It was Mr. Jingles from The Green Mile! (My current read) :)

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
I couldn't agree more. we have a small farm in ky and raise a few beef to sell and we always butcher 1 for the family. we have to learn to treat them as livestock and not pets. i must admit it's difficult to seperate the two.

So true. When I was growing up, some of my mom's family raised a few black angus aside from their corn/soybeans/etc. I remember going there and getting attached to the calves. Then, a few visits later......they would be gone.

plarkinjr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2011
Texas
www.facebook.com
I want to keep livestock, but I realize my wife would convert it to pet. And when sell or butcher time comes, it wouldnt.

On second thought, vermin make some cool pets too :) One time I had a rat in my kitchen and I couldn't kill it. It lived there for a few weeks before one of the dogs took care of the problem. I was seriously considering buying a live trap so I could catch it and release it to the wild....

Your dogs know vermin when they see/smell/hear them. :D

Each animal has its place.

Last edited:

waylonjessi4ever

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Northern California
It leaves them "to each his own" :)
I don't judge others as to the pets they love :) As long as they love them .:)
For the record a fish kept as a pet is usually bred for the pet world..not like were taking a whale out of the ocean ..or grabbing a bird off a tree...
my son just lost his beta after much care and two involved life rescues ..he was buried where our cats and my father in laws dogs are on the property .
I have had a canary ( bred for captivity ) also wouldnt make it in the "wild " (esp since they were brought over from" canary islands" to usa to save miners lives )......for about 9 years ( avg lifespan is about 5 )
he is elderly but loves his apple everyday and has been cared for and loved as much as the other pets ...btw ..in a huge cage suitable for a much larger bird and has until the last year flown alot .
Sorry but i had to respond to the ridiculousness of saying that birds and fish are kept in small spaces that harms them .You can point to ANY animals and say they would be not cared for by a BAD human or have the life they would have in the wild ...but i wouldnt say fish and birds ,id say large cats kept as pets ,monkeys ,etc .
:blink:

Last edited:

plarkinjr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2011
Texas
www.facebook.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread