Once Upon A Time, they said PG Might Help Keep Us Healthy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
This virus is pretty harmless for the majority. I will trust ZERO numbers because there are tons of folks (myself included) who think we already have HAD it. I want a DAMN antibody test available but we don't even have enough to test those suspected so I am not holding my breath.

There are several promising treatments and possible vaccines on the horizon and they are being tested now, yes even here in our good old US of A. IDK why the media won't report other than they are disaster HOes. Like, they won't say a SINGLE positive thing and quash announcements which are really important.

GET your flu shot. This virus is bad for the elderly, a few adults who OD'do on Ibuprofen instead of Tylenol apparently the virus doesn't like NSAIDS, and the elderly. OF COURSE there are a few regular heathy folks but we do have the occasional outlier.

You might want to consider the number of total vapers in the USA when looking at that one in a thousand number, by the way. If you don't know the total percentage of vapers vs non vapers it is not just ANECDOTAL but actually MEANINGLESS.

None of the tests and trials I know are using "PG" as part of their treatment protocol/

But if it helps you to think it, by ALL means, PG away.
Anna

Reactions: mintymints

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The 1940s produced at least two studies on the ability of Propylene Glycol to kill and control airborne micro-organisms. It's been introduced into hospital HVAC systems for years. The second article is from an ecig writer and could be considered to be biased in favor of the article because it supports ecigs positively, but these articles are all over the internet.

THE BACTERICIDAL ACTION OF PROPYLENE GLYCOL VAPOR ON MICROORGANISMS SUSPENDED IN AIR. I

Scientist Discovers that Inhaled Propylene Glycol Kills the Flu Virus

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Headed back to the Med-Stop this morning. Antibiotics they gave me ran out several days ago and now my respiratory thing has slowly returned. Still no fever, but the yuck feeling and congestion is back. Apparently 7 days of the antibiotic didn't kill it off completely. This has happened to me before. They switch to another and it goes away. Sometimes, medicine is a trial and error endeavor.

I had the flu shot back in October. FWIW, I vape 70% PG. So much for PG protection against various infections.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
They shouldn't let you in, frankly. You're either a potential spreader or (in your probable case) since you already have a pre-existing complication(s), they should take extra precautions to avoid you getting this bug. They should write you a script for abut 3 days of extra antibiotic and have your primary PC (when open on Monday) follow up.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Headed back to the Med-Stop this morning. Antibiotics they gave me ran out several days ago and now my respiratory thing has slowly returned. Still no fever, but the yuck feeling and congestion is back. Apparently 7 days of the antibiotic didn't kill it off completely. This has happened to me before. They switch to another and it goes away. Sometimes, medicine is a trial and error endeavor.

I had the flu shot back in October. FWIW, I vape 70% PG. So much for PG protection against various infections.
I never counted on PG doing that much. More worthwhile to make airborne virus fall to the ground due to cloud-sinking.

I hate it when they're too conservative on the antibiotics...that's the biggest danger with them is insufficient use. Of course they don't want to wipe out all your gut bacteria. But..

Reactions: stols001

Qew

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Michigan
The med stop is about a mile and a half from my house. They make appointments to that you don't have to sit in a waiting room for long. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pass out masks this time.

To me, this seems to be a great time to use telemedicine.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would probably try to telemedicine first. It may not be COVID 19 but if you are sick already you don't want to catch it ON TOP of what you have. Really, I agree on the abx. I also always used to think I needed the "newer" abx but some of them don't work as well as like a Z-pack.

Are you sure it's bacterial and not viral? Either way, I might play it safe.

I am quite sure they will hand out mask. I am also QUITE sure this will make little difference, the virus lingers on all surfaces. Unless they are spraying bleach 24/7 (they won't be) you risk exposure. I usually prefer in person visits myself, I think they are much more comprehensive, but if you have access to telemed well, eh. My work has a pretty good telemed program. Most insurances are allowing you to waive the copay too.

Anna

Gem615

Mar 29, 2013
Surprise, AZ US
PG in the air killing airborn virus in some cases or in a petri dish isn't the same thing as "vaping protects your lungs or respiratory system" inside your body.
Apples and oranges conclusions.
The harm reduction point was well made in that quote.

Vaping may very well irritate the lung's epithelial layer and still make you slightly more prone to infection, and it certainly won't cure you if you get infected. So who knows?

If you get a smoke machine and want to varporize PG throughout your house, have at it, if you don't have asthema risks.

But as to lower incidents of colds/flu...specifically due to vaping...no formal study done that I know of.
Apples & Orangea, ok - I'll got with that... but a history of pumping it thru the ventilation system also means that there are people still breathing it in (to their lungs).... As for studies - there are/ were quite a few - which is where the original article about its anti-bacterial properties possibly being good for your health, as well as the potential to keep viruses & the common cold away came from. i didn't personally make it up & the CDC commenting on it positively back in 2010 also means that they were privy to the studies that were done on that exact subject. They're floating around out there - many a vaper website so have the links.
If I'm not mistaken, one of the biggest studies done on thr subject, actually was conducted back in the late 1940's or 50's - I forgot... but I did read the abstract many moons ago. My memory over the past decade can't remember every aspect of it in detail, but it obviously had made an impression for me to remember it even in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread