Status
Not open for further replies.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
Hmm... I'm not sure it really is simple math -- just a failure to comprehend the concept that mixing things results in averaging, not adding. My husband thought the same thing, but fortunately I was already familiar with it from mixing my own fertilizers for different types of plants. He's actually somewhat better at math than I am, but concepts... not so much. :D

But I agree with you that someone who doesn't get that, is not the best person to be working where ejuice is sold -- they need to understand the product completely, if they're to advise and sell appropriately. If their job is simply to ring up sales, then they shouldn't be opening their mouths about anything to do with the product.

Andria
Lol I dunno.. Its pretty simple to me. If you have a base level of 9, and double the amount of fluid with a base level of 3.... How can it possibly be 12? Somebody working with these fluids really should have a basic understanding mixing fluids. She's selling nicotine by the ml! It's scary that business owners forfeit their livelihood for a favor. It would be cheaper to just give her money than let her represent his business.

Utsuru

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Arkansas, USA
Just chiming in really quick that there are 3-4 B&M stores in my town and I still haven't been to one that I've heard good things about. Regardless, the one I have been to a few times is actually quite good. They have a lot of great authentic stuff and even have their clones labeled as such. Their brands of juice they carry are well-known for the most part and their prices are only slightly higher than online, but you got to take everything into consideration. You get to see the product in person, no shipping, no wait time, and they have a 30 day return policy on equipment malfunctioning. They even gave my dad about a $20 discount just because he was new to vaping and buying there for the first time. They were very knowledgeable and helpful, they knew all about the cermic/cotton coil fiasco with the nautilus mini and when chatting it up with the staff it is clear they know what's going on and are enthusiasts.

Just chiming in with my two cents. I'll give them a shoutout since they've been helpful to me so far, you can see the inside of their store is really really nice (for around here.)

http://www.vapecityarkansas.com/

Not all B&M stores are garbage you guys.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Lol I dunno.. Its pretty simple to me. If you have a base level of 9, and double the amount of fluid with a base level of 3.... How can it possibly be 12? Somebody working with these fluids really should have a basic understanding mixing fluids. She's selling nicotine by the ml! It's scary that business owners forfeit their livelihood for a favor. It would be cheaper to just give her money than let her represent his business.

I thought it was pretty simple too; when my husband said something that indicated he thought it would add rather than average, I laughed, and probably said something eloquent like "Really? That's your final answer?" I couldn't believe he couldn't understand the concept instantly, but then I realized that my previous experience mixing those fertilizers might have slanted my perspective somewhat, because I'm usually a sluggard with anything mathematical.

But yeah... she shouldn't be behind the counter of a vape shop. :D

Andria

Reactions: jpargana

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Someone that sells, lets say beer, don't need to know how to brew beer to sell it do they?

Disradfrac

Apr 28, 2015
Cannot recall too much. I do recall walking in the day before my birthday at a local B&M. The employee taught me about rebuilding, least to the best of his ability. Wasn't exactly the best description, but he certainly tried. I ended up with a k101 telescoping mech mod. Then I ended up with an 18350 battery on a .8 or 1.0 build.

So it was ok. He ended up not being there a week later, so he might have gotten fired. Never found out

Rcajun

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2015
Dallas, TX, USA
Dropped in yesterday at a local B&M and the lady behind the counter was telling me she was mech only and ran a .14 build. Curious I ask what batteries she was using. 35A Efest or 40A LG. tried to explain they were probably only 20A continuous. She would have none of this, even after the guy at the end of the bar started talking about him mod getting really hot.

Disradfrac

Apr 28, 2015
Dropped in yesterday at a local B&M and the lady behind the counter was telling me she was mech only and ran a .14 build. Curious I ask what batteries she was using. 35A Efest or 40A LG. tried to explain they were probably only 20A continuous. She would have none of this, even after the guy at the end of the bar started talking about him mod getting really hot.

Efests are the devil's work

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
I thought it was pretty simple too; when my husband said something that indicated he thought it would add rather than average, I laughed, and probably said something eloquent like "Really? That's your final answer?" I couldn't believe he couldn't understand the concept instantly, but then I realized that my previous experience mixing those fertilizers might have slanted my perspective somewhat, because I'm usually a sluggard with anything mathematical.

But yeah... she shouldn't be behind the counter of a vape shop. :D

Andria

The same rule applies for say beer aswell.
2x 50ml 3.5% isn't the same as 1 50ml 7% beer.

Sadly i've a friend who still belives in this though. He keep insiting that 2x 50ml 3.5% is same as one 1 50ml 7% is the same.
The 3.5% would be diluted compared to the 7%.
Same rule applies to e-juice basicly. :)

Edit: What i wanted to say, is it's quite a common misconception that you just add up = higher % same goes for the juice. Which isn't true. :)

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
Even I know how beer is made and I just drink it lol

Vape shops are a niche, craft market. You need quality professionals behind your counter who know and use the product. Not people who can't conceptualize mixing juice, because that's a very common thing with vaping, and it can only hurt your business to hire these people. Too many times I walk into a vape shop and people who work there know nothing about the batteries besides what colors go with what mods (according to them), and what tanks look cool. It's horrible because if i'm in there looking at a hybrid mod and I don't know what that is, and they let me leave with a tank that doesn't have a compatible 510 pin, with 15a batteries, and a Chinese brandless charger, thats dangerous. You have to hire people who know what they're doing when you're running a business like this. This isn't a supermarket, where it's ok if you don't know what country the avocados came from.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
Guess I'm lucky. I have about 15 shops within 15 miles of my house. I'll buy hardware when they have a sale on because the sale prices are right around mail order. But I've found 3 or 4 of them are very good sources for juice. I like to try the juices before I buy them - I've spent too much money on online juice orders and just thrown them out. In almost every case, the personnel are very friendly and I haven't found anyone at any of the shops that look down on a tootle puffer like me. And they are always helpful in discussing new technology and seem quite knowledgeable.

xDarkRelic

Feb 2, 2015
Texas
Eh it depends on my location.

There's a small dependent owned business that I first started out at. They sold me a kanger evod vv and an aspire k1 for $60 with some free juice. They were nice at first but ALL their testing cartos were burnt. Even when I upgraded to a nautilus mini and an aspire cf vv they seemed really ...... that I didn't get it from them. They charge 17 for a 15ml of juice, and it's all 30vg/70pg with no customizing. After I became a little well known with prices I see how bad they are ripping people off. $10 for a single aspire bvc coil, $60 for an istick 20w, $100 for a Istick50w, and $150 for the aspire starter with the cf mod and Atlantis. They are next door to an antique shop and I've heard complaints that they knock their outside displays over, and cause problems. I've stopped going there.

But now there's a chain called Vapor Spot that has opened closer to my home. They are fantastic. They have some great home juices, and you can get 3 5ml for only $5 apiece. Which is kinda high but in a pinch I'll definitely pay it, and you can get it in different ratios. They have reasonable prices on everything and even a drive thru! It's definitely a great place for me to go. And their employees are nice and super helpful. They also compare and match most online prices from bigger vendors.

Reactions: AndriaD

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
I work as a beer buyer at a bar and all my distributor reps know how beer is brewed so yes.
I know how it is brewed too, doesn't mean I could do it...I'm fine with my waitress not knowing how to cook a burger as long as she knows how to take my order

Mustang18

Dec 29, 2014
One of my local B&Ms haven't had any of the horror stories. They are flourishing and just opened the largest shop in Michigan. They have a test that must be passed by the personnel before they are hired such as battery safety, whether they know how to build, and whatnot. I enjoy going to this particular shop because they know what they're talking about and are passionate about their business

Reactions: VictorViper

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I'm the same way, Mustang. The two I use are a pleasure to frequent and their "B&M markup" is so negligible that I've never had the need or desire to shop online. I'd rather be a sucker and pay a few extra bucks a month if it means I can continue to access such excellent businesses. I do recognize I'm lucky.

(I should mention I'm anti-clone, that makes a big difference).

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Someone that sells, lets say beer, don't need to know how to brew beer to sell it do they?

That's a moot point. You sell beer in filled bottles, already tested for food safety at the manufacturer, so not much "health" concerns here. Of course, being learned about what you sell is going to make you look more professional. You could then advise a costumer about different types of beer, for example. As we say in my country, "knowledge does not take up space".

But what if you are preparing a personalized liquid for a costumer, or advising him about nic concentrations, and dealing with strong nicotine bases?

The example the OP gave is not even really a math problem. It's a complete lack of knowledge of how mixing different concentrations work. And that cannot end well if you're making something yourself, rather than just selling it.

Imagine a car seller who *obviously* knows nothing about cars. He "just sells" them, so he has "no need" to know more about them than the price tag. :) Would that look professional to you?

ETA:

Suppose that I make a big, nasty cut on my forehead, and I go to a clinic to have it stiched.
Everyone in that place may well be the most professional people I could possibly find. But wouldn't I start questioning that, if the nurse who is welcoming me makes such a *stupid* remark as "You are losing too much blood. Next time, take your belt and make a tourniquet around your neck to stop the bleeding" ? :lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: AndriaD

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
If you know what youre doing it isnt stupid. Some 650 have pulses of 60a and the pulse is ALOT longer then you will hit. Ya its better to build higher on a reg. device, but that wasnt always an option. It was never the norm, but i remember the how low could you go time and dont remember many accidents especially from people who understood what they were doing.

I havent looked into a mod in a bit(month), so are there regulated firjng this low? I know TC mods will go low, but the lowest i seen kanthal go was .1(i dont get that, with power)

Parallel was always an option. Building at the pulse limit on a device that has the ability to be stuck in a continuous fire is not a good idea.

PLURR

Reactions: jpargana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread