Official Spin: Nicotine is more addictive than ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I can answer this from my own experience. Some of us have to be in looooong boring meetings where we can't just step out when we please to stealth vape in the restroom. I've held it in for so long some days, my bladder was about to burst and my head was pounding from lack of nicotine. So I decided to drop it down to 0mg when I found vaping.

Funny though, those headaches only lasted about 3 days and then the fog cleared.
That's why other smokeless alternatives are good. Pop in an Orb or snus and you'd be good to go! ;)

JustKryssi

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Dirty Jerz
That's why other smokeless alternatives are good. Pop in an Orb or snus and you'd be good to go! ;)

There's no spitting out something smiley or I'd be using it right now, lol!

Actually, that would be an extra expense that is not needed now. I guess I still can't believe how easy my PV made it to quit...going towards my 4th month now with no flashback feelings like I had when I quit cold turkey.

I'd love to ask the anti's if they use alcohol or tranqs to relax. I don't anymore. All I need is my pretty pink eGo and my homemade 0mg Creme de Menthe.

I think they're just jealous.:evil:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I'm gonna put my foot in it in a way I'll probably regret. But in a thread like this someone has to put things in perspective.

"I am a her-o-in addict". Yes I said it. I overdosed on November 22nd 1982 and haven't touched it since. Before anyone gets any screwy ideas about who I am now: I'm an IT executive, currently unemployed, a homeowner, educated, good looking, fully functional- and sporting a good bit of neurological damage along with some formerly severe CPTSD.

To give you an idea of the situation I came out of: The state stripped my parents of their rights, most of my close high school friends are dead, and I survived only by the thinnest of margins.

That out of the way, the statement was made to make a couple of points. First, just my compensatory skills alone run rings around most people. And I'm one of the most intelligent people you'll ever meet. Prior to overdose, my IQ score was about 180. I lost 30 points from the experience. Although... those neurons do turn on from time to time- more about that later.

I know- IQ is clinical bullhockey but it's the only way I have to illustrate the damage of her-o-in unless you knew me personally.

So let's talk about nicotine... and the addict.

Addicts of all types usually suffer from some form of PTSD, anxiety disorder, or other less common issues that didn't come with the package at birth but were EXTERNALLY imposed. Most addicts are self medicating themselves. Most addicts medicate to cope.

This is true of nicotine as well. Addicts use nicotine to self medicate.

The difference between nicotine (patch, losenge, or vaping) and street drugs- is that nicotine will enhance the life of an addict. Period. It can relieve anxiety without the dangers of Xanax, focus a person on a task when neurological issues interfere, it's even been shown to help schizophrenics organize their thoughts.

For myself, nicotine tends to mitigate some small ticks which can come up with my brand of brain damage. It also helps to alleviate my dyslexia. Prior to going through EMDR (Eye Movement Desentitization and Reprogramming) therapy it reduced the number of anxiety attacks I experienced and kept my bowels regular.

No I'm not kidding about the bowels.

It's been many years (like 25) since I had any problems related to this that kept me from functioning normally. But some of the credit goes to nicotine. To be honest, if it wasn't for the calming effects of nicotine- I would be dead.

I also was completely capable of getting away from nicotine, but not nicotine AND the MAO inhibitors in tobacco. I had resigned myself to smoking myself to death in order to function "At the level I had grown accustomed to".

Vaping did it.

What bothers me the most is the demonization of nicotine. As far as I'm concerned it's a miracle drug. It solves a lot of my problems, I'm still functional, it hasn't killed me, has few side effects when not coming from tobacco, is self regulating (It's really hard to overdose on it), and it's cheap. Additionally, it also seems to make my short term memory problems better, attention span is enhanced, and I like doing it.

The drawbacks? Addiction and cancer (in the case of tobacco as a delivery method).

The sad thing is this... most of the doctors I have seen in the 30 odd years since my overdose have quietly said off the record "If smoking is solving all these problems- keep doing it". But no one ever says it publicly. It needs to be said publicly. So I'm saying it publicly- and someone here on the board is gonna just call me some crazy old gas bag who doesn't have a right to his opinion. Have at it.

But if any of you enjoy my posts, videos, and the stupid funny stuff I do. Or if you have school children in Illinois using computers on networks I designed. Or if your school district gets a bunch of free child safety/fire safety materials every year. Or if you are a young adult who may have heard one of my presentations about "getting straight" at your high school. Or if you own an Apple Computer and use a modem. Or if you are vaping now because of my video series. Or if you are one of the many people I've sponsored in 12 step programs....

Then...

You might feel you have to thank me. Nope... don't thank me. I had help.

Nicotine.

And if that makes me technically a junkie- then I'm a junkie... and damned proud of it.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Cozz! Maybe people will think twice about their attitude towards nicotine.

The drawbacks? Addiction and cancer (in the case of tobacco as a delivery method).

Just a correction: "smoking as a delivery method," not "tobacco." Smokeless tobacco is pretty much as low risk as e-cigs. ;)

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Nicotine keeps my functioning as well. I have ADD. A lot of people do. I didn't know I was medicating it for 44 years, truthfully if I did it wasn't strong enough!
ADD is a life long fight to retain memory, short and longterm, working to improve concentration, learning how to cope with fight/flight, I suppose that's panic; if I need to master something it's all-out immersion, no taking breaks, not even a day, or it's start all over. As a kid I was in trouble at school, teacher said I daydreamed. I guess I did. That was from about 1954 till now. I absolutely love history, but cannot remember dates and names to save my life. I need to see pictures in my head, thoughts won't go where they belong, and don't stay there. They do turn on from time to time (Cozz!)
but not on demand! I tried to introduce my husband to an uncle of mine once, couldn't think of either's name! I'd write odd dates on my checks. Without even seeing it. Dyslexic a bit. So must always double-check everything.
So, at 24mg/ml nic, I started vaping. After about 4 months of pure pleasure, I wanted to "try" cutting back; 25% to 18mg....nothing happened. Down to 12mg seemed great, still no withdrawal..down to 6, no withdrawal, but the familiar fuzzy head and frustration was back, so went back to 12mg. Point is, no further withdrawal!! I am going to stick with 12mg juice, but at 24mg I was a genius too! Well, maybe not genius, but best I've ever felt, symptom free just about. But genius has eluded me because of the social inhibition caused by neuron failure and mis-fires. I make mistakes. Usually loudly. My family used to get a kick out of it. My brother was nearly suicidal. That sobered them right up! Yes, he's been diagnosed too. It's amazing what a person's brain can do to give the appearance of 'normal'.

I've never tried any of those "designer" things, except cigarettes, But I'm pretty sure nicotine is an addictive substance, except I have this theory that it makes whatever it's in addictive. I always wondered about it. Now I wonder even more. I know I could go zero nic, but I've done lots of plazma testing, and my cotinine level is about at passive 2nd-hand smoke level. At 63 years, my BP is 110/63, most of the time. So what's the harm. I'm using 1½-2mls a day of 12mg juice. Not a fatal dose for sure.

And that's the whole idea ~ do no harm.

I have one Grandson who tried drugs for ADHD, but he was a stranger, very lethargic and zombie-like. Dr. offered to start him on nicotine therapy, but decided to try behavioral training first ~ that's what his Mom and I have done all our lives. Drugs are not a good answer. He's doing ok. Still pretty hyper, but at 12 I think he's been a super student. He knows it takes work. Sometimes you just need a break to relax, "veg out", but then it's back to work. Forever. Some of our 3-way conversations are hilarious!

What makes me really angry is that for decades the Cigarette Industry has been outright lying to us about what we were inhaling. And the very act of inhaling combusted materials is different than vaporizing nicotine with VG or PG. You would think Big Tobacco would do the right thing and endorse or at least fess up to what they must already know ~ to the FDA, to US! that what we've found in e-cigs is NOT going to do more harm. It is an excellent CRT. Just MHO.
People must look at testing, demand and finance more of it: we do need second-hand exposure looked at, I will help with some to AVIQS and CASSA as soon as I can.
We know the benefits of Nicotine.
I sure do.
And if someone gets the bright idea to take the caffeine out of my coffee, there's going to be HELL to pay!

Last edited:

Dakota

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Kalifornia
Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
There's no spitting out something smiley or I'd be using it right now, lol!

Actually, that would be an extra expense that is not needed now. I guess I still can't believe how easy my PV made it to quit...going towards my 4th month now with no flashback feelings like I had when I quit cold turkey.

I'd love to ask the anti's if they use alcohol or tranqs to relax. I don't anymore. All I need is my pretty pink eGo and my homemade 0mg Creme de Menthe.

I think they're just jealous.:evil:

I see what you are saying, but based on attitudes towards addiction in that other post, you are still addicted - now just to e-cigs without nicotine. So, now it's PG/VG and flavoring.

Oooo...bad!

It's not really about WHAT you are addicted to anymore. It's about controling other people's behavior and debasing them because of their behavior. You're an addict - it doesn't matter to these people what you are addicted to anymore.

If we let people take away our habits/addictions - simply because they don't agree with them and not because of their impact on the user and those around them - next thing you know, there will be attempted bans on indoor PG use!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Nicotine keeps my functioning as well. I have ADD. A lot of people do. I didn't know I was medicating it for 44 years, truthfully if I did it wasn't strong enough!

Thanks for sharing your story, Kate.

I know Elaine (Vocalek) also needs nicotine to help her with her cognative issues. I can't imagine how tough that is!

Although, I've always been so bad with names and dates, now I'm wondering if I don't have ADD in some form, as well!

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
I compare nicotine addicted cigarette smokers to high functioning alcoholics

They're a timebomb waiting to put themselves through a slow gory death and/or subject their loved ones to it. I've seen both (Functioning Alcoholics as acquaintances and nicotine addicted cigarette smokers in my family) and they're shockingly similar.

And then there's the quality of life deprivation to consider.

I didn't read the thread.. I usually read threads I respond to... If nicotine does have redeeming qualities, and it very well may .. which ....... also could, as it use to be used as a medication .. it's not worth what people seem to go through to get it.

I've seen many people die around me as a result of what they were willing to put themselves through in order to obtain daily doses of this stuff.

If you're talking about safe delivery of nicotine and what good or bad it will or will not do .. I can be on board with that ..

But challenging the very power of the addiction to it makes no sense whatever .. Millions. Tens of Millions. Hundreds of Millions? have gone through pure hell and ultimately death to maintain their comfortable dosage levels of nicotine. I don't see how anyone could challenge the addictiveness of it.

Here's a story I posted awhile back:

Joel's Library - Motivating Nicotine Smokers to Quit At all my clinics, I always tell the story of the lady who eight years ago had a circulatory condition, Buerger’s disease, and had to have her right leg amputated. As you may recall, she quit smoking and had no further circulatory complications for three years.

Then one night at a party, a friend offered her a cigarette. She figured that since she had been off cigarettes for so long, she now had control over her addiction. If she liked the cigarette, she would smoke one or two a day. If she didn’t like the cigarette, she just wouldn’t smoke anymore.

Well, she took the cigarette. She didn’t particularly like the cigarette, but the next day she was up to her old level of consumption. Four days later she lost circulation in her other leg. She knew the reason. After three years with no problem and only four days after going back to smoking her circulation was affected. Her doctor told her that if she did not quit immediately, she would probably lose her other leg.

She enrolled in a smoking clinic that week and quit smoking. Almost immediately her circulation improved. The doctor took her off anti-coagulant drugs. She no longer needed them. Soon, things were back to normal.

Nine months later, I called to ask her to serve on a panel. At that time, she replied, “I can’t come. I have been in the hospital the last two months.” When I asked what had happened, she replied, “I had my toes amputated.” She had gone back to smoking. She tried one because she just couldn’t believe she would get hooked again. She was wrong. She lost circulation, had her toes removed and eventually had her leg amputated.

I have had other clinic participants with similar experiences. The reason I talk about this story is I again ran into her about 3 years ago, at which time she told me she had finally quit smoking. I told her I was surprised, I thought she had permanently lost control. After all, she had her leg removed, the toes from her other foot, and eventually her second leg. When I confronted her with that information she replied, “The doctor finally convinced me. He said, ‘You might as well keep on smoking, I’ll just take your arms off next.” That scared her into quitting smoking. Her next comment to me was unbelievable. She looked me straight in the face, dead seriously, and said “I didn’t need a house to fall on me to tell me to quit smoking!”

I can tell you from personal experience.. that woman DOES represent your average cigarette user. They really ARE that hopelessly addicted to nicotine. I know. I was one. That is the epitome of vaping. Feeding the addiction without destroying the body.

I'll read this thread later when I am no so tired and probably agree with a-lot of it. I have to agree that if smoking a cigarette caused the outward expression of the addiction that "real drugs" cause, more people would be able to break it. With nicotine, no one TRULY realizes that it is every bit as harmful (not necessarily the nicotine itself, or the nicotine addiction itself, but what it causes people to do to feed it) and so it goes on in the night as a silent killer.

I am just saying let's call a spade a spade here. It is what it is.

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I compare nicotine addicted cigarette smokers to high functioning alcoholics

They're a timebomb waiting to put themselves through a slow gory death and/or subject their loved ones to it. I've seen both (Functioning Alcoholics as acquaintances and nicotine addicted cigarette smokers in my family) and they're shockingly similar.

And then there's the quality of life deprivation to consider.

I didn't read the thread.. I usually read threads I respond to... If nicotine does have redeeming qualities, and it very well may .. which ....... also could, as it use to be used as a medication .. it's not worth what people seem to go through to get it.

I've seen many people die around me as a result of what they were willing to put themselves through in order to obtain daily doses of this stuff.

If you're talking about safe delivery of nicotine and what good or bad it will or will not do .. I can be on board with that ..

But challenging the very power of the addiction to it makes no sense whatever .. Millions. Tens of Millions. Hundreds of Millions? have gone through pure hell and ultimately death to maintain their comfortable dosage levels of nicotine. I don't see how anyone could challenge the addictiveness of it.

Here's a story I posted awhile back:

Joel's Library - Motivating Nicotine Smokers to Quit At all my clinics, I always tell the story of the lady who eight years ago had a circulatory condition, Buerger’s disease, and had to have her right leg amputated. As you may recall, she quit smoking and had no further circulatory complications for three years.

Then one night at a party, a friend offered her a cigarette. She figured that since she had been off cigarettes for so long, she now had control over her addiction. If she liked the cigarette, she would smoke one or two a day. If she didn’t like the cigarette, she just wouldn’t smoke anymore.

Well, she took the cigarette. She didn’t particularly like the cigarette, but the next day she was up to her old level of consumption. Four days later she lost circulation in her other leg. She knew the reason. After three years with no problem and only four days after going back to smoking her circulation was affected. Her doctor told her that if she did not quit immediately, she would probably lose her other leg.

She enrolled in a smoking clinic that week and quit smoking. Almost immediately her circulation improved. The doctor took her off anti-coagulant drugs. She no longer needed them. Soon, things were back to normal.

Nine months later, I called to ask her to serve on a panel. At that time, she replied, “I can’t come. I have been in the hospital the last two months.” When I asked what had happened, she replied, “I had my toes amputated.” She had gone back to smoking. She tried one because she just couldn’t believe she would get hooked again. She was wrong. She lost circulation, had her toes removed and eventually had her leg amputated.

I have had other clinic participants with similar experiences. The reason I talk about this story is I again ran into her about 3 years ago, at which time she told me she had finally quit smoking. I told her I was surprised, I thought she had permanently lost control. After all, she had her leg removed, the toes from her other foot, and eventually her second leg. When I confronted her with that information she replied, “The doctor finally convinced me. He said, ‘You might as well keep on smoking, I’ll just take your arms off next.” That scared her into quitting smoking. Her next comment to me was unbelievable. She looked me straight in the face, dead seriously, and said “I didn’t need a house to fall on me to tell me to quit smoking!”

I can tell you from personal experience.. that woman DOES represent your average cigarette user. They really ARE that hopelessly addicted to nicotine. I know. I was one. That is the epitome of vaping. Feeding the addiction without destroying the body.

I'll read this thread later when I am no so tired and probably agree with a-lot of it. I have to agree that if smoking a cigarette caused the outward expression of the addiction that "real drugs" cause, more people would be able to break it. With nicotine, no one TRULY realizes that it is every bit as harmful (not necessarily the nicotine itself, or the nicotine addiction itself, but what it causes people to do to feed it) and so it goes on in the night as a silent killer.

I am just saying let's call a spade a spade here. It is what it is.

This entire post, while an opinion you have a right to, is so full of ignorance and sad presupposition that responding in full would only confuse you.

There are times, dude, when silence is golden. This was one of them.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
THE, I didn't quite know how to respond to your post, had to think about it. I was a little miffed for awhile.
But you meant what you said. Having a bad day maybe.
I'm a recovered smoker. Over a year and a half ago I knew it was time I had to quit or die. All I could do as far as functioning was sit, drink coffee, and have one cigarette after another. I did only what I had to do. If I had to go out I would, but in a world where smoking was something everyone did into a new world where no one does, it is a little off-putting.
We all got it.
We've probably all tried very hard in numerous ways to find help, but there really isn't anything helpful outside of ourselves. So we keep hacking our lungs out, choking on every puff and just keep on.
Still a huge undertaking to deprive yourself of something you really love to do. Another part of addiction is the act of it. Very difficult to put aside without really falling apart.
You can look at examples all day long about things that people did to themselves by smoking. But that's the defeatist way to go about it. Sooner or later you have to get past that, and see what is possible. Awful things happen to people that have never smoked, as well.
You don't normally post things so grossly negative. If you had read at least some of the posts you would sort of owe people a "sorry", because it is kind of insulting, in view of where you are posting..on ECF...but we all have to suck it in sometimes and just chill. Sometimes we need to reach out a bit, when someone goes off the deep side of the pool. I'm not really sure where you're at here.
But on day one after my e-cig came, I knew it was the thing I could do. I did know about nicotine. What I didn't know was that you could keep it, and quit the smoke, which is the killing thing, after all. Not the nicotine. Now I sleep like a baby, I can smell and taste food again. I can laugh without coughing. And I can work like a trooper. With more energy than I ever thought I'd have again. I use 2mls or less juice a day, 12mg/ml. I absorb the eqivalent of one cigarette's worth of nicotine per day, without the 4000 other chemicals and tar and carcinogens. Am I still addicted? With some reserve, I'd say no. I really enjoy a nice sit-down vape. I know I could go 0 nic. But my mind functions better with my 12mg. I could do nicotine gum, but I hate chewing gum. I think I'll just leave this here, I could go on forever!
Tomorrow's another day, maybe you'll see something more hopeful. A spade can also be a shovel.

Last edited:

Cyia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Independence, Missouri
I love reading stories about people, and to the ones who have posted theirs I commend you. I also have had similar problems that I can vouch for that have been eased with nicotine. Adhd, short term memory loss, anxiety and panic attacks, bipolar,(yes it really does help. I'll get to it in a sec) dyslexia, OCD, my list tends to go on..

Nicotine really keeps most of my symptoms at bay. It keeps me from spending 1,000s of dollars of medication that could actually cause me more harm that good. It keeps me from going nuts so to speak. Nicotine has kept me on this planet as well. And I'm even happier now I can breathe and still keep my nicotine.(having asthma is no fun.)

Let me put it into perspective from a person who has suffered from manic bipolar disorder all my life. I'm not the depressed biploar, I am the extreme moody one. I don't get depressed often, I get mad. Livid mad. I get extremely happy. I can switch moods as fast as you can blink. I have racing thoughts constantly. As you can probably tell from my many posts, they are hard to understand at times.(I jump around a lot in my head lol) Mentally I can be unsteady and this feeds some of my OCD, adhd, and it really doesn't help I can't remember things like what I ate for dinner two nights ago.

I started smoking when I was 11. I picked up a half a cig and started puffing away. I got those rushes of nicotine and it not only calmed my mind and body, but it kept me from distractions, kept me focused and in tune with things. I quit at 15 and picked it back up when I was 16 and just stopped two weeks ago and I'm now 23. When my mind starts to race, or I start to feel that rush of rage come my way I picked up a cigarette. It not only made me stop what I was getting mad at, it calmed me down. But I noticed in the past year I was starting to smoke double as much as I had been. I had, had a new baby, my job went to crap on me and in April I found e-cigs. I had to take a chance but didn't have the funds saved up. By the beginning of August my asthma was kicking my ..... I couldn't breathe half the time. I woke up with asthma attacks and carried an inhaler on me at all times. Smoking cigs was killing me and it was only a matter of time before I would suffocate to death. I needed to find a better solution for my nerves that wouldn't kill me. 2 days into using my 510, I was so amazed I could take a full breath in without coughing and having an attack. I felt free. I haven't been able to do that since I was 17. When all I did was take shallow breaths for 6 years and in 2 days I could expand my chest to it's fullest it brought me to tears I was so happy.

I know a lot of people will never know how it feels to have mental anguish, mental problems that can't be won over just by putting you on 10 million pills. But to the ones who do, you know what I'm talking about. When you feel like your rope is curling up and becoming short and nothing else is working, and then you take that drag and there is the nicotine you need, and you just relax and know you've made it one more day, that is one of the best feelings in the world. I don't consider nicotine to be my drug of choice. I consider it to be part of my life. A part of me I don't want to change. I don't think even if I honestly tried I'd ever get rid of nicotine. I know in my previous posts I would probably give up the habit it's self, that I will do some day. but nicotine it's self is something that keeps me sane. Makes life easier to live one day at a time. And I shouldn't have to kill my self to get it.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
It's strange to me that even some vapers can't seem to separate the nicotine from the cigarette. If even those of our own can't do that, what makes us think the general populace is going to be any better at it? To me, my own experiences were proof enough that the health problems were all due to the other 3999 ingredients.

I smoked a pack a day for close to 30 years. My heart rate stayed at around 100 beats per minute and would climb with every breath I took. My blood pressure was 10 points above normal on both ends, and I was developing pitting edema so bad that a pair of socks would leave almost permanent indentations in my ankles.

Fast forward to 5 months after quitting; my body tells me I'm getting levels of nicotine with the e-cig comparable to what I used to smoke. I vape 3 mls of 18 mg liquid a day and my e-cig is rarely out of my hand, yet my heart rate has dropped by 20 points and stays steady through breathing and normal activity. My blood pressure is now consistently below normal, and the pitting edema is gone.

Yeah, cigarettes will kill you, but I get more physical indicators from caffeine than I do nicotine. Comparing nicotine to cigarettes has become apples to oranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread