OBS cube x charing issue

allychaan

Feb 28, 2024
Howdy everyone, I'm at a bit of a loss; I have a OBS cube X vape that I've bought some years ago that won't charge or turn on when the battery is in. The vape has been stored away since maybe September 2023.

This battery is quite new, I bought it in the summer of 2023 but I haven't used to vape all that much since then so by all logic the battery should be fine.

The weird thing is that the vape turns on when I take the battery out and have the device itself plugged in (I read here that that's something I should try)

So how do I proceed? What could be the problem, should I just buy a new battery? I'm confident that the battery is the correct one because when I bought the new one I took the whole device to the vape shop and asked for a new one that the guy in the store made sure worked.

Thanks in advance!

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have a OBS cube X vape that I've bought some years ago that won't charge or turn on when the battery is in. The vape has been stored away since maybe September 2023.

The weird thing is that the vape turns on when I take the battery out and have the device itself plugged in (I read here that that's something I should try)

Sounds like the battery to me.

If it won't take a charge when trying to charge it inside the mod, yet the mod turns on when plugged into USB source, then it doesn't sound like it's your mod.

This battery is quite new, I bought it in the summer of 2023 but I haven't used to vape all that much since then so by all logic the battery should be fine.

Nope, not good logic. Can't assume a battery is good just because you bought it new and never or barely used it. Put it in a battery charger and see what happens. Or put it in another mod if you have one. Or test it's voltage on a digital multimeter if you have one.

Also clean the contacts both on the battery and on the mod.

If you stored that battery inside the mod, most likely the quiescent current of the mod drained the battery over time and the battery vented to make the diaphragm inside trip. Can verify this with a multimeter as it would read 0 volts. When this happens, the battery is done as there is no way to safely push that diaphragm back in (I did it once but never again). I have had this happen to batteries stored in Yihi mods. Never store a battery inside any mod long term. If not gonna use the mod for a few days or more, remove the battery.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    I agree, time for a new battery. I've had one in service for several years, no problems. Then again, I never use onboard charging with removable battery mods, external charger only. So I don't have to wait to use it.

IF the battery is really low but not gone, onboard charging might take many hours to show any results.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Howdy everyone, I'm at a bit of a loss; I have a OBS cube X vape that I've bought some years ago that won't charge or turn on when the battery is in. The vape has been stored away since maybe September 2023.

So how do I proceed? What could be the problem, should I just buy a new battery? I'm confident that the battery is the correct one because when I bought the new one I took the whole device to the vape shop and asked for a new one that the guy in the store made sure worked.

Thanks in advance!
    Well, once upon a time there were tethered mods that had no battery. You just vaped at 5v on usbA and didn’t worry about it. It was just a 510 with a USB cable soldered to it. They were about the size of an acorn.
    The only problem was they were very cheaply made and the base cut into the cord after a few weeks (a 3¢ strain arrestor would have fixed the whole thing, so it was stupid but oh well).
    The thing might just vape that way in which case you’ve got a tethered mod and you win. I never knew why mods with power in like that didn’t just work that way. It would have made things so much simpler. Maybe someone did and you’ve got one. Or maybe it means there’s something short circuited in the device. I don’t know. If it IS simply a tethered mod when you don’t have a battery in it it would rock and I want to buy one,

Last edited:

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Sounds like the battery to me.

If it won't take a charge when trying to charge it inside the mod, yet the mod turns on when plugged into USB source, then it doesn't sound like it's your mod.

Nope, not good logic. Can't assume a battery is good just because you bought it new and never or barely used it. Put it in a battery charger and see what happens. Or put it in another mod if you have one. Or test it's voltage on a digital multimeter if you have one.

Also clean the contacts both on the battery and on the mod.

If you stored that battery inside the mod, most likely the quiescent current of the mod drained the battery over time and the battery vented to make the diaphragm inside trip. Can verify this with a multimeter as it would read 0 volts. When this happens, the battery is done as there is no way to safely push that diaphragm back in (I did it once but never again). I have had this happen to batteries stored in Yihi mods. Never store a battery inside any mod long term. If not gonna use the mod for a few days or more, remove the battery.
    *Wants to add various pics of absurd counterfeit batteries. Like the one with a wooden dowel on the inside. Is too lazy though*

• Haha
    Reactions: DavidOck

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    PSC01M3.gif

Users who are viewing this thread