No longer worried about the safety of my e-cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
So during a discussion of how addictive nicotine really is, I looked up the additives that are put into cigarettes to make them more addictive. I then came across information that BT now has to list all the ingredients in the cigarettes on their web sites. Look at the ingredient list for the brand of cigarettes I used to smoke:

tobacco
Water
Sugars (Sucrose and/or Invert Sugar and/or High Fructose Corn Syrup)
Propylene Glycol
Glycerol
Menthol
Licorice Extract
Diammonium Phosphate
Ammonium Hydroxide
Cocoa and Cocoa Products
Carob Bean and Extract
Natural and Artificial Flavors

Turns out, I have already been inhaling PG, VG, and Flavors for 36 years!

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
Of course, something you are probably well aware of, it's not just the ingredients in cigarettes, it's the compounds that are formed when these substances are combusted. They change into a whole host of nasties.

Yep. My point is that there has been that niggling worry in the back of my mind, and hear it all the time here as well, "We don't know the long term effects of inhaling PG, VG, or Flavors". Well, now I find out I was already doing that with the cigarettes. I thought I was taking only the nicotine from cigs and adding 3 new unknowns. Instead I am taking 4 ingredients from the cigarettes and dumping everything else. I'm good.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
I've seen some studies on the effects of inhaling PG and VG, but nothing long term. I'll be curious to see how it turns out. I'm not sure that what we're doing is completely harmless, but I am sure that it must be less detrimental than smoking.
We do at least have that info on PG. It's been in asthma medications since the 40s

webersp

Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Hamilton, OH
And used in most hospital air systems since the 40s or 50s

I do remember reading a study from the 40s about hospitals using it to help sterilize the air. They had tested the effects of inhaling PG on lab rats but then chose to use chimpanzees because rats have the capability to drain their lungs, which humans and chimps do not.

There's a flea market near me that sells e-liquid, it's scary how little they know about what they're selling. I was talking to one of the workers the other day and he was boasting that their liquid is made with 70% PG and calling it "the good stuff". He went on to say that VG is bad because "it's like when you cook a hamburger and when the grease burns, it bubbles and heats up the meat, but then when you leave it alone and it cools off it gets hard and nasty. That's what VG does to your lungs when it burns."

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
I do remember reading a study from the 40s about hospitals using it to help sterilize the air. They had tested the effects of inhaling PG on lab rats but then chose to use chimpanzees because rats have the capability to drain their lungs, which humans and chimps do not.

There's a flea market near me that sells e-liquid, it's scary how little they know about what they're selling. I was talking to one of the workers the other day and he was boasting that their liquid is made with 70% PG and calling it "the good stuff". He went on to say that VG is bad because "it's like when you cook a hamburger and when the grease burns, it bubbles and heats up the meat, but then when you leave it alone and it cools off it gets hard and nasty. That's what VG does to your lungs when it burns."

WHAT?!?!?! Where do people come up with this stuff??

_sidekick_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Something I find odd about PG, is that the MSDS for it claims it can cause issues with the central nervous system...

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927239

Potential Chronic Health Effects:Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (sensitizer). CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS:
Not available. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available. The substance may be
toxic to central nervous system (CNS). Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I stopped by a local "flea market" this weekend and stopped at a booth that was selling e-cigs. I ask where their juice was made and the girl replied "in a lab". I said "OK, where is the lab located?". Got the deer in the headlight look. She had no idea.

Their juice was $5.00 for 5ml and they just poured it out of a large bottle into an unmarked 5ml bottle. I knew what size the bottle was but I ask "How many ml are in that bottle?". They were trained to tell you the amount in "packs of Cigarettes". According to the girl, 5ml (the bottle she was trying to sell me) was equal to 5 packs of cigarettes.

I left without trying or purchasing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread