No Health Warning on Ecig

Status
Not open for further replies.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I am sure someone has already posted this but I coud not find it anywhere.

This a teleconference regarding Ecigs held by FDA and numerous health care officals. Heading up the teleconference was Judy Leon (I wonder is she is any kin to Judge Leon) She is FDA Office Of Public Affairs.

Transcript for FDA's Media Briefing on Electronic Cigarettes
Also the FDA states that ecig have no age limit or health warning compartable to NTR or conventional cigarettes.

Do you think that all ecig and Liquid and Cartridges should have these warning and perhaps a list of the ingredents and listed on the products the age requirement. All of these things are on regular cigarettes.

If this have previously listed please disregard this thread.

mizuhi

Oct 1, 2009
Wisconsin
I am sure someone has already posted this but I coud not find it anywhere.

This a teleconference regarding Ecigs held by FDA and numerous health care officals. Heading up the teleconference was Judy Leon (I wonder is she is any kin to Judge Leon) She is FDA Office Of Public Affairs.

Transcript for FDA's Media Briefing on Electronic Cigarettes
Also the FDA states that Ecig have no age limit or health warning compartable to NTR or conventional cigarettes.

Do you think that all Ecig and Liquid and Cartridges should have these warning and perhaps a list of the ingredents and listed on the products the age requirement. All of these things are on regular cigarettes.

If this have previously listed please disregard this thread.
Since when do cigs have the ingredients listed? They add how much extra chemical stuff and thats not on the package!!

Yeah and they need to have the dont use in the bathtub under water warning so no one drowns themselves.
Personally we can do with less mile long warning labels on everything!
Its a nic tool, yeah its may have some hazards. Yeah its not for kids, its nic!! Duh.

I personally am sick of big brother holding my hand and reminding me whats dangerous. No I dont think I will plug my toaster into the bathtub outlet with the tub filled with water. Yes I know to plug it in before use.
No I wont put my hand in the meat grinder.
No I wont use my chainsaw on my leg!

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Obviously the PV itself does not require any form of real warning. It is paraphernalia... and while it may have an intended use, it doesn't have a mandated use. But I could certainly understand an age restriction on the sale.

Liquid on the other hand..... I could fully understand warnings, and a requirement for the ingredients to be listed (ala foodstuffs).

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
If it is going to by classfied as tobacco products as in the lawsuit of SE and Njoy liquid will require the same labeling as regular cigarettes.Which I thought had more warning. I just read a package of Marlboro. All it stated:

SURGEON GENERAL: Smoking by pregnant women may result infetal injury, premature births and low birth rate.Up as top of the side of the package it has Usagesale prohibed.

When did they change the label on cigrettes. I am sure it use to be causes lung caner and complicatons caused by smoking cigarettes.

I am sure FDA will be requiring more labeling by cigarettes companies.

P3rplexity

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Texas
I think all Liquids should have some age requirement and warning labels, and ALL should have child safety caps.

As for PV's themselves, A peel able sticker would suffice I'm sure.

Normal Cigs don't have a list of ingredients btw, it'd be pretty hard for them to put over 4000 chemicals on a pack of cigs, and a lot of cig smokers probably don't know about cyanide and arsenic.

Edit: Just read the entire transcript, what a crock.... First of all Mr. Sharfstein is sadly mistaken if he believes somebody smoking e-cigs would go to tobacco products after, you've got it backwards Jack.

I love how these idiots cannot stress enough the vigorous testing needed to make our e-cigs approved. Why don't they care about the 60+ carcinogens found in the cancer sticks they are pedaling, this makes me sick.

And Winickoff is the biggest windbag of them all, "There’s two main points that I’ll be covering in my remarks. Number one is the appeal of these products to young people and the second one is the concern that the e-cigarettes may serve as a gateway to smoking."

Once again, clinging on to the unrealistic fact that it will be a gateway to smoking their cancer, please don't flatter yourselves FDA, once someone has a nice tasty vape, the last thing they will want to do is smoke your poison. And because there are many flavors made, we are trying to market to young people? Perhaps we'd like to enjoy our vape and don't want to taste traditional tobacco crud flavor.

And the last guy, Matt McKenna, is just LOST. He begins on ranting and raving about tobacco, then goes back to the "marketing to minors" bullcrap. Same song different day, get a real argument then we can have an educated debate.

And Winickoff comes in again and says "They are being marketed as an entry level product to try nicotine." These guys aren't original at all, just mirroring eachother. The 2 main points they seem to make are statements that cannot be proven with any amount of testing in a lab. "Marketing to Minors - And - E-cigs are a gateway to cigarettes"

Absolute bullcrap, words cannot express how sick this bunch of wannabe-experts makes me. I don't see the logic in it, they are saying that they found traces of traditional cigarette chemicals in the carts, so that is enough to ban them....

OK so your saying normal cigs should be banned too right? Complete and utter hypocrisy, American Government at it's absolute finest here folks.

Last edited:

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I hate warnings because they are usually attached to something that doesn't need them. Look at a new gun for example. A lot of em have crap like "read manual before using", "can fire with magazine removed", "check to see if loaded"....DUH!. Why not just put something on em like "don't shoot your eye out". They weren't on older guns because people knew enough not to point em at their face and pull the trigger to see if it's loaded. If they did, they were deemed to stupid to live and would have probably drowned themselves by accident in their bowl of cereal anyways.

Some dippy chick burns her groin with a cup of hot coffee and next thing you know they gotta put warning labels on frickin coffee cups. Why in the hell does this country feel the need to put warnings on everything to protect the few ...... out there who will probably just ignore them and end up removing themselves from the shallow end of the gene pool anyways.

Besides, we are constantly bombarded every day with the "it's bad for you" message. Can't eat a frickin bacon cheeseburger without some dipweed saying it. Can't smoke, eat, drink, vape, or screw without hearing all the bad things about it.

I DON'T CARE IF IT'S BAD FOR ME!!!! QUIT TELLING ME AND LET ME ENJOY SOMETHING FOR A CHANGE!!!........ AND QUIT TRYING TO BAN EVERYTHING DAMMIT!!!

Sorry......climbing off my soapbox now.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
If it is going to by classfied as tobacco products as in the lawsuit of SE and Njoy liquid will require the same labeling as regular cigarettes.Which I thought had more warning. I just read a package of Marlboro. All it stated:

SURGEON GENERAL: Smoking by pregnant women may result infetal injury, premature births and low birth rate.Up as top of the side of the package it has Usagesale prohibed.

When did they change the label on cigrettes. I am sure it use to be causes lung caner and complicatons caused by smoking cigarettes.

I am sure FDA will be requiring more labeling by cigarettes companies.

That's the trick, just make sure you don't buy the one's that say cancer on them and you're okay!

Can you list the 4000 ingredients on one pack of cigarettes. How about this:

Ingredients: Lots for such a small thing.
Side effects: Eventual loss of respiration and heartbeat.

Suggested warning labels for e-cigs:

WARNING: Look up occasionally when trying to drip juice while walking through the parking lot.

WARNING: Known cause of depletion of financial assets.

WARNING: Seeing mailman in front of your house can cause heart palpitations.

WARNING: May serious deplete RockyMountainVaport RY4 supply.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. I will probably be the first parking lot fatality. I could stub a toe!

IANAN

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
NJoys actually list the ingredients and have a lengthy health warning and side effect statement on their carts. SE attaches the same warning on their cart boxes as cigarettes.

BOTH- say underage sale prohibited. NJoys are sold behind the counters at gas stations and online (need a CC) and their site requires that you are 18+. SE are sold at mall kiosks and online and require that you be 18+.

--What was their problem again?? OH!!! That's right- minors may smoke these instead of real cigs-- They need to get a life.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Edit: Just read the entire transcript, what a crock.... First of all Mr. Sharfstein is sadly mistaken if he believes somebody smoking e-cigs would go to tobacco products after, you've got it backwards Jack.

Did you know that Mr. Sharfstein used to work for Waxman? Together, with the help of Philip Morris, we now have the FDA regulating tobacco products? And as of this summer, Mr. Sharfstein now holds a pretty good position within the FDA? Interesting little factoid.

chickenbeaner

Nov 11, 2009
I would be okay with a warning. The irony is the vast majority (near totality) of us who use this product are trying to quit smoking precisely because they know how dangerous it is. However, it will be kind of funny when they make a warning label that would be nearly identical to one they would have to put on a can of soda it caffeine was so regulated. Perhaps the only warning needed is - Warning, Nicotine is HIGHLY addictive.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The only thing I think requires a warning label is juice. There's a lot of stupid people out there, who don't realize how potent some drugs can be, including nicotine. 40-60mg can be a fatal dose to an adult - these are miniscule amounts compared to what some members have on hand at any time. I think some suppliers have begun to provide some kind of warning with their liquid (especially if the juice is packaged in a box, which I've only seen in one review, of TW liquid). But this should be a universal rule among suppliers. Printed labels are super cheap to make, and it really could save lives.

Now I'm not saying that an adult who chugs a bottle of nic juice shouldn't know better, but what if it's a little kid? Parents SHOULD be responsible for their kids, but the sad fact is that oftentimes they aren't. A lot of these juices are named after tasty fruits and treats, and taste sweet, which makes them enticing not only to us adults, but even moreso to children. I'd hate to see one of the great suppliers on this board in major litigation because of such an incident, when such issues could easily be resolved with a simple label identifying nicotine as a dangerous substance which can be harmful or fatal if ingested orally, even in small amounts, and that juice is for "Vaporization Purposes Only".

~CTdl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread