Status
Not open for further replies.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
I'm having some poltergeistly issues with my very first mod.

Been working on it for about a week, so excited to take the first puff -- nada :(

Here's what it is. Due to weird shaped body, the diagram is a bit strange, and is somewhat difficult to take apart in some spots.
1. 18650 battery. Trustfire, brand new, freshly charged
2. Negative end connected to on-off switch (switch from 3AAA flashlight)
3. On-off switch connected to momentary switch, rated 3amp 125vac
4. Momentary switch connected to center post of an atty connection
5. Outer body of atty connection is connected to positive end of the battery

The kicker is that if I take the carto out, and test the voltage directly between center and outer body of the atty connector, I get 4.1 volt.
I tested the resistances of points 2-5 listed above, they're all between 0 and 5 ohm
Tested the carto on my ego, vapes like a champ
Carto is freshly filled, and when I screw it in, I see it leave a little ring of juice on the center post of the connector
Tried pushing the center post up a bit (just less than 1mm)
Tried cleaning the battery connectors and atty connector with rubbing alcohol
Tried few different brand and resistance cartos

Nada. Shows voltage on the connector, doesn't fire the carto.

Am I hallucinating? Do all you modding folk have any ideas or suggestions what I can try next? Does the battery not generate enough current?

Please please help -- this feels incredibly frustrating after a week worth of sanding, soldering, grinding and gluing :(

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Create a atty battery connector with two 8" lead wires, one from the center post (Pos) and one to the side (Neg), alligator clips on the end of those wires helps with trouble shooting. Next screw your carto into the newly created atty battery connector. Now hold the carto in your mouth abd start with the battery, if it vapes the battery passes. Now move to each solder point down the negitive path, and when you reach one that does not vape you have found the short. If all checks out, then you might have a cut grommet in the existing battery connector, so when you check volts it is good, but when you screw in the carto the center pin could ground to the body of the connector.
Dan

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
WOO! I love you! It works (pending a touch of solder and gluing the lid on)!

Apparently 14ga galvanized steel that I connected the ground on two flashlights is either soldered badly or is not conductive enough.

Thank you again so much, Dan! Who'da thunk -- so much simpler than a voltmeter, and much more conclusive!

Sorry about all the exclamation points, but you just made my day.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
WOO! I love you! It works (pending a touch of solder and gluing the lid on)!

Apparently 14ga galvanized steel that I connected the ground on two flashlights is either soldered badly or is not conductive enough.

Thank you again so much, Dan! Who'da thunk -- so much simpler than a voltmeter, and much more conclusive!

Sorry about all the exclamation points, but you just made my day.

No problem, glad to help.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread