Nicotine; when to cut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd Mulske

Moved On
Nov 8, 2011
When I first decided to quit smoking and went to vaping, my intent was to eventually get off of the nicotine as well. I was smoking about a pack and a half a day and started vaping 24mg/ml of nicotine a day from the first day and am still at that level today, 43 days later. I would like to somehow reduce the levels of nicotine to 0. I do not think I will ever quit vaping because I enjoy it, but definitely want to get rid of the nicotine.

I understand that nicotine helps with the throat hit but have also found that certain flavors actually give a better throat hit than others. Throat hit isn't really my main desire; flavor and vapor production , in that order is what I mainly like. So everyone, how do you suggest that I reduce my nicotine, how fast do I reduce it and how much at a time. I would like to be at 0 nicotine juice in 2 months, I have about 100ml of 100mg/ml pg based nicotine left on hand and do not want to purchase anymore. I am currently vaping about 5ml a day of 24 mg/ml nicotine. That is 120 mg a day, way too much.

Alright I am open to suggestions, I have about 4 days supply of 24mg/ml juice mixed; I would like to start cutting when that is gone; so 4 days to get as many suggestions as possible; the more the merrier.

Thanks all

Todd Mulske

Moved On
Nov 8, 2011
Really funny one there. At times I can feel the effects of the nicotine in my body, flesh gets warm and start to feel like i am on a speed trip. No going up for me; not the suggestion I was looking for.

I think you get immune to the throat hit anyway. I don't feel anything anymore and I am still vaping 30-36mg juice. i only use 2 or 3 ml a day though. maybe you should up the nic so you will get sick and put it down sometimes.

kjonesy

Moved On
Aug 13, 2011
Los Angeles
  • Deleted by oldsoldier
  • Reason: Afilliate link spammer

kjonesy

Moved On
Aug 13, 2011
Los Angeles
  • Deleted by oldsoldier

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
Hope about mixing up some 18mg and only go to your 24mg when you feel deprived and slowly work you way down. You may find you just vape more and are still getting the same nicotine or you may not notice much of a difference if you go slow enough.

There was a story around here a long time ago that someone filled cartos with 0, 12, 18, etc. and didn't label them. She just grabbed one to vape and didn't feel the difference. Eventually she just used the 0.

Todd Mulske

Moved On
Nov 8, 2011
It is really easy to make a single cell 3.7 volt device. 1 (2AA battery holder; 1 14500 battery; 1 3 amp switch; 1 atty connector) If you look at a few of the atomizer mods you will see how easy it is to make a homemade atty; save your burnt out ones; they can be rebuilt) as for juice; vg and flavorings is all you need; the government will never be able to stop someone from vaping if the person really wants to vape.

Freddytk421

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2011
Texas
It is really easy to make a single cell 3.7 volt device. 1 (2AA battery holder; 1 14500 battery; 1 3 amp switch; 1 atty connector) If you look at a few of the atomizer mods you will see how easy it is to make a homemade atty; save your burnt out ones; they can be rebuilt) as for juice; vg and flavorings is all you need; the government will never be able to stop someone from vaping if the person really wants to vape.

exactly I want to get to 0 too before it all comes tumbling down.

kjonesy

Moved On
Aug 13, 2011
Los Angeles
  • Deleted by oldsoldier

Todd Mulske

Moved On
Nov 8, 2011
Everything you need to make a 3.7 volt ecig can be bought at radioshack. A little more expensive than some of the vendors on the forum; but still for under $15.00 you could have a vaporizer; atty and all. I am working on designing a rebuildable cartomizer for the smaller tanks (2.5ml). It will involve a threaded cartomizer connecter and two small screws with an insulator for the positive connection. Just have to figure out how to channel the insulator through the steel threaded connector. It will look like a miniature Bulli A2 or a miniature Nhaler atomiser

Last edited:

cement

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2011
Brown Deer
Hey Todd you may have asked a question that nobody can answer,lol. I went from 24 mg to 18 mg and did it with totaly different flavors and do not notice a differance as far as the nic. Mabe just treat it as a simple math problem. When the 24 mg runs out start the 18 mg after 2 weeks start 12 mg after 2 weeks start 6 mg.I think think if you can get down to 6 mg that would be a big decrease. I am not a doctor, and I'm pretty sure this is of no help to you but like you I am also interested in this question you ask.Another thing I'm trying is to up the wattage with the lower mg nic but that might just be dumb .Who knows? Good luck

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I quit analogs (2 pack camel) in august and had been using 24mg to vape until about 3 weeks ago I decided it was time to lower my nic. I would use the 24mg stuff only when I felt the need but used 12mg the rest of the day. After about a week or so I started using 6mg for my all day vape and the 12mg when I felt the need. Now I use 0mg for my all day and the 6mg when needed. Ocasionaly I will use a couple of drops of 12mg when the stress hits but for most of the day I just use the 0mg and 6mg as needed. I don't think I can cut the nic out completly, but using the lower levels has been a lot easier than I expected.

LadyWeeps

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I'm like you Todd, flavor and then vapor are important. The biggest difference I've noticed in dropping nic from 24 to 12 is a flavor difference. Since you diy, it should make that transition easier. I don't diy, although I have the stuff to do it. My goal is to eventually be to 0 nic also. With all the employers and insurance companies using nic blood tests to determine whether you are a smoker or not, it just makes since to do away with it. I just hope, at my age, that I don't forget where I live :(

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
Ok, I started vaping over two years ago with 24mg, within about 3 months is was making my throat raw so I dropped to 18mg. I stayed at 18mg for the remainder of the year, then I dropped to 12mg because the throat hit was harsh again but not as bad as the first time. Well at the two year mark the throat hit was getting harsh again so I dropped to 6mg, TH disappeared completely and after a few days the lack of nicotine was starting to show. So I ordered some of the same flavors in 12mg and 6mg and mixed them and am happy again.

Anyway, I've taken two years to get here, I didn't rush it, I don't know how many times I've read about people who get to zero nic in 6 months or less are back looking for new equipment because they're smoking again. You didn't get to this point by smoking a few months, it's going to take a while for your brain and body to get used to lowered or no nicotine. I can't see a rush to get to zero when the 4,000 chemicals that cause cancer are removed from the equation. Take your time and let your body rewire it's self for not having nicotine.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
I know it's probably not the advice you wanted, but I have to agree with BardicDruid.

Don't rush it. You're still getting away from the chemicals in cigarettes and the last thing you want is to feel like you have to grab a pack of them.

Slow down and take it easy. You're not getting near the nicotine your math tells you that you are. Most studies suggest about 10% of what is in the liquid is absorbed. So about 12mg a day for you. Or the same as smoking 12 cigarettes worth of nicotine.

Don't let those numbers panic you into a rush and start you smoking again.

We really DO care about you. Please let us know how you're doing.

player30

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham AL
My favorite vendor only goes as low as 6mg, and so I don't know if I will ever go to 0mg. I went from 18 to 12 to 9 to 6. One thing I found was that I vaped alot more as I went down. It never left my hand. When I got a cold, it gave me the chance to vape less, and so I am now vaping 6mg at a more reasonable rate. I love vaping, and so I don't have any plans to stop.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
+1 for BardicDruid..... I took me 6 months to get from 18mg to 0mg. It was painless for me and I have been nic free for 3 months. My way may not work for you. Do what works for you. My advise is to start out slow and see how your body reacts to reducing the nicotine. Do you DIY? If so, that makes it easy to reduce the nic. in small increments and not reduce the flavor strength.

melloyello

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
usa
every body is different even if its put together with the same parts (besides the obvious).
no 2 people respond the same to everything. it may take someone 4 years to go from 24mg to 12 mg, some go from 36 to 6 in less than a year. i started at 18mg and im dabbing into 0mg eight months later. it wouldnt bother me if i still was at 18 mg but my body told me to step it down a notch and i listened. (first time ever). heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread