Nicotine not bad ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorTed

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
SoCal
As I have been happily vaping for the last few months and based on my readings here on ECF been telling everyone there are no health effects from Nicotine in and of itself, I received an email from a friend which makes Nicotine certainly not look so good. Here is the info on nicotine:

[h=2]Toxicology[/h]See also: Nicotine poisoning

The LD50 of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 40–60 mg (0.5-1.0 mg/kg) can be a lethal dosage for adult humans.[56][57] Nicotine therefore has a high toxicity in comparison to many other alkaloids such as ......., which has an LD50 of 95.1 mg/kg when administered to mice. It is unlikely that a person would overdose on nicotine through smoking alone, although overdose can occur through combined use of nicotine patches or nicotine gum and cigarettes at the same time.[58] Spilling a high concentration of nicotine onto the skin can cause intoxication or even death, since nicotine readily passes into the bloodstream following dermal contact.[59]
Historically, nicotine has not been regarded as a carcinogen and the IARC has not evaluated nicotine in its standalone form and assigned it to an official carcinogen group. While no epidemiological evidence supports that nicotine alone acts as a carcinogen in the formation of human cancer, research over the last decade has identified nicotine's carcinogenic potential in animal models and cell culture.[60] [61] Nicotine has been noted to directly cause cancer through a number of different mechanisms such as the activation of MAP Kinases.[62] Indirectly, nicotine increases cholinergic (and adrenergic signaling in the case of colon cancer[63]), thereby impeding apoptosis (programmed cell death), promoting tumor growth, and activating growth factors and cellular mitogenic factors such as 5-LOX, and EGF. Nicotine also promotes cancer growth by stimulating angiogenesis and neovascularization.[64][65] In one study, nicotine administered to mice with tumors caused increases in tumor size (twofold increase), metastasis (nine-fold increase), and tumor recurrence (threefold increase).[66]
Though the teratogenic properties of nicotine may or may not yet have been adequately researched, women who use nicotine gum and patches during the early stages of pregnancy face an increased risk of having babies with birth defects, according to a study of around 77,000 pregnant women in Denmark. The study found that women who use nicotine-replacement therapy in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy have a 60% greater risk of having babies with birth defects, compared to women who are non-smokers.[citation needed]
Effective April 1, 1990, the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) of the California Environmental Protection Agency added nicotine to the list of chemicals known to the state to cause developmental toxicity, for the purposes of Proposition 65.

stephpd

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2011
Delaware
Yeah, nicotine isn't 'good' for you. But then so are many, many things.(the sun, the air we breath, caffeine, sugar (sugar substitute), automobiles, home heating, water (more so what's in it), etc.)

But it's far less unhealthy then cigarettes with nicotine and ,what?, 3000-4000 other substances, many of them known carcinogens.

XMit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Midwest
Caffeine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caffeine intoxication
Primary symptoms of caffeine intoxication[44]

Caffeine overdose can result in a state of central nervous system over-stimulation called caffeine intoxication (DSM-IV 305.90),[40] or colloquially the "caffeine jitters". The symptoms of caffeine intoxication are not unlike overdoses of other stimulants. It may include restlessness, fidgeting, anxiety, excitement, insomnia, flushing of the face, increased urination, gastrointestinal disturbance, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irritability, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation.[44] In cases of much larger overdoses, mania, depression, lapses in judgment, disorientation, disinhibition, delusions, hallucinations, or psychosis may occur, and rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue) can be provoked.[45][46]
Extreme overdose can result in death.[47][48] The median lethal dose (LD50) given orally, is 192 milligrams per kilogram in rats. The LD50 of caffeine in humans is dependent on weight and individual sensitivity and estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass, roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult taken within a limited time frame that is dependent on half-life.[3] Though achieving lethal dose with caffeine would be exceptionally difficult with regular coffee, there have been reported deaths from overdosing on caffeine pills, with serious symptoms of overdose requiring hospitalization occurring from as little as 2 grams of caffeine. An exception to this would be taking a drug such as fluvoxamine or levofloxacin, which blocks the liver enzyme responsible for the metabolism of caffeine, thus increasing the central effects and blood concentrations of caffeine five-fold.[46][47][48][49] Death typically occurs due to ventricular fibrillation brought about by effects of caffeine on the cardiovascular system.
Treatment of severe caffeine intoxication is generally supportive, providing treatment of the immediate symptoms, but if the patient has very high serum levels of caffeine then peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis, or hemofiltration may be required.[44]

Yes, nicotine is more toxic than caffeine, but in it's pure form it's dangerous as well.

Spin works both ways, but I don't have the time.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
I've spilled nic on my skin, accidentally ingested it while learning to vape (through my DT) as well as vapid 10-15 mls a day of 24-36 nic my first few months. What I learned.......Vaping high nic in that quantity was enough to give me headaches and nausea but nothing else. I felt sick but didn't die..It takes quite a bit of nic to really overdose you. Just be safe with your vaping and use common sence. You will live :)

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
Indeed, nicotine is poisonous at high dosages, but so are a ton of other stimulants.

I picked up vaping because it's less toxic than cigarettes. It's also less toxic than self-medicating my ADD and seasonal depression with caffiene and pseudoephedrine.

Not to mention, the drugs used to treat depression and ADD come with their own special set of side effects.

All things in moderation, I say.

Vaping is certainly better than cigarettes - less toxic for you, less toxic for those in your proximity.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Yes, nicotine is a poison, as is pretty much every other substance in the world.
In other words, if you get too much of it, it will kill you.

In the case of nicotine, a couple of drops of pure nicotine on your skin may very well kill you.
A few drops of what we are using, dilluted to the extent that it is, will have pretty much no effect on you whatsoever.

As for nicotine promoting the growth of cancer that already exists, I believe that is true.
So if I already have cancer then that is going to suck.

As far as the risks for pregnant women, I have heard that as well, but haven't looked into it much.

XMit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Midwest
The LD50 of nicotine is quite shocking. However, doesn't it dissipate quickly once its entered into the body. for instance if i take a pill with 100mg of nicotine i might die. however if i vape 100mg over 24 hours... headache?

Elimination half life through the body is about 2 hours. That means when you start feeling sick, you still have two hours before the nic you took in that is making you sick is metabolised. Then you have to wait for all of the stuff you ingested in the two hours after the amount that made you sick to be metabolised (you won't feel bad immediately, cumulative amounts have to be factored.)

Not an MD, but half life of two hours means total elimination in four. I may be wrong.

Last edited:

sheik124

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2008
Tampa, FL
Elimination half life through the body is about 2 hours. That means when you start feeling sick, you still have two hours before the nic you took in that is making you sick is metabolised. Then you have to wait for all of the stuff you ingested in the two hours after the amount that made you sick to be metabolised (you won't feel bad immediately, cumulative amounts have to be factored.)

Not an MD, but half life of two hours means total elimination in four. I may be wrong.

You might be ;)

Half life means how long it takes for half of it to degrade. So if you've got say, 5 mg nicotine in you, in two hours it will be 2.5. In another two hours, it will be 1.25. Two more hours, 0.75. And so on.

XMit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Midwest
You might be ;)

Half life means how long it takes for half of it to degrade. So if you've got say, 5 mg nicotine in you, in two hours it will be 2.5. In another two hours, it will be 1.25. Two more hours, 0.75. And so on.

30 seconds worth of research would have saved that. Oh well, learn something new 'erry day.

xhuffer

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
SoCal
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: No drug talk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread