Nicotine measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
This is a question for manufacturers and suppliers of eliquid, please chip in if you know anything about this.

I've been under the impression that the nicotine measurement on eliquid is mg per ml, eg 16mg would mean 16mg of nicotine per 1ml of juice. Apparently this isn't true for Johnson Creek eliquid, they measure mg per 1.2ml and I'd like to know how the measurements work for the eliquid you sell?

Is there an industry standard on how nicotine should be measured or is it just made up?

Thanks.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
No replies yet ... I guess we're all in the dark over this.

For what it's worth, ecig.com say that their mg measurement is per ml - https://e-cig.com/shopping/shopcontent.asp?type=density

Farsee (- Electronic Cigarette¦òCigar¦òMini E-cig¦òManufacturer) state that theirs is per (classic?) cartridge - http://www.farseegroup.com/uploadfiles/Cartridge Introduction.pdf

I measured a couple of classic cartridges recently, one generic and one Janty and got 0.8ml from both. Farsee could be saying mg per 0.8ml or rating a classic cartridge as 1ml so it would be mg per ml for them too.

skeptah

Nov 20, 2008
hxxp://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pO0wYTXSxf-FVcqAIb-GdIQ

I created a spreadsheet that helps translate the nicotine intake from e-cigs to analog cigs. Please view my assumptions at the top.

Summary:
Although 1 cigarette contains mg nicotine in the double digits, the average nicotine intake from a cigarette is around 1mg. This translates to two drops of 11mg/ml liquid, assuming 80% nicotine absorption rate. Do these assumptions make sense? any reqs?

baalel

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Watford, UK
Taking data from the 1998 FTC investigation into 1294 different brands of analogues, it looks like nic intake is between 0.05 and 2.0 mg / cig.

If I read the data correctly, the weighted by sales average is 0.8mg/cig.

You could probably extract the table data from http://www.ftc.gov/reports/tobacco/1998tar&nicotinereport.pdf

put it on a second sheet and provide a drop down selection for brand of analogue to calculate e-juice equivalent.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Hi Skeptah, welcome to the forum.

I can't see your spreadsheet, when I try I get a generic Google front page. Please could you send me the link by private message, I'd love to see it, it sounds useful. If you send me the link I can post it here for you so others can view it too.

Baalel, that is also useful information, thanks.

EDIT
It's ok, I got the spreadsheet, I had to create a Google account to sign in.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pO0wYTXSxf-FVcqAIb-GdIQ&pli=1

It looks handy, just checking it out now.

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Threads move so fast I can't remember where we discussed cotinine in the blood as a test for employee smoking. But in researching addiction this morning, I came across this:

Multiplying the blood cotinine level by 0.12 provides an estimate of the amount of nicotine ingested in the previous 24 hours.

That means a really good test could separate out those exposed to second-hand smoke or using an NRT product. But .. e-smokers would likely test high for cotinine. As best I can figure, I got about 30mg a day of absorbed nicotine from my 30-a-day cig habit. I get about 24-36mg a day now from e-smoking, 30mg from dissolveable tobacco tablets I use all day, 30 a day from snus, and an unknown amount from puffing 3 or 4 pipes each day.

I know I'm in the neighborhood of 90mg a day. Three times what I got as a cigarette smoker. I'd love to know my exact cotinine level.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
It would be interesting if we could get our hands on some of those testing kits and do some experiments about how much nicotine we are taking in with esmoking.

Just a quick guide for anyone new to working out nicotine:

There are approx 15 - 20 drops in a ml
A drop is around 0.05ml
Cigarettes usually average 0.5 - 1.2 mg nicotine intake
2 drops of eliquid last me five minutes

If I vaped 2 drops of 36mg eliquid in five minutes that would be the equivalent of around one cig per minute.

7 - 11mg eliquid will replace the nic content of a 20 cigs per day habit.

Raising nicotine intake does not increase effect, it increases tolerance and health problems.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3598-nicotine-safety.html

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
It would be interesting if we could get our hands on some of those testing kits and do some experiments about how much nicotine we are taking in with esmoking.

Just a quick guide for anyone new to working out nicotine:

There are approx 15 - 20 drops in a ml
A drop is around 0.05ml
Cigarettes usually average 0.5 - 1.2 mg nicotine intake
2 drops of eliquid last me five minutes

If I vaped 2 drops of 36mg eliquid in five minutes that would be the equivalent of around one cig per minute.

7 - 11mg eliquid will replace the nic content of a 20 cigs per day habit.

Raising nicotine intake does not increase effect, it increases tolerance and health problems.

I am genuinely astonished that you go through so much in 5 minutes. I gathered that there are some heavy smokers on here but maybe we should set up a branch of Nicotine anonymous?
John.

skeptah

Nov 20, 2008
98% absorption rate is pretty shocking. any comments?

One thing I also want to confirm is the e-liquid potency. I personally have no reason to question some of the outstanding suppliers such as Cash and JC, but I'm sure we can rest assured that we have a 3rd party confirmation of their advertised potency levels.

I see a big opportunity for myself and others to kick (or at the very least, control) nicotine addiction by slowly tapering down our dosages. In order to do this, we need to confirm a couple of things:

1. True E-liquid potency levels
2. True (or at least 90% of the time) Nic Absorption from vapor

Quitting would only be possible if we can properly measure our intake. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread