Nicotine content of vegetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

cap269

Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Buckeye, AZ, USA
I have not seen much regarding this, so if it has already been discussed on ECF, then call me late to the party. If not, this is a very interesting revelation that could help make the safety argument for personal vaporizers. The New England Journal of Medicine has an article that shows the nicotine content of common vegetables. The take-away is, for example, 10g of eggplant contains an equivalent amount of nicotine to sitting in a room breathing second-hand smoke for 3 hours. 10g, which is approximately 1/3 oz, is not very much of the vegetable considering that an average serving is 6 oz (~180g). The article states that the nicotine could be diffused into cooking water, but what about preparations that don't boil? I don't believe roasting or baking would occur at a high enough temperatures to remove the nicotine from the vegetables. I found that somewhat revealing, as those who do not use nicotine are exposed to a potentially greater quantity of nicotine through diet, making the 'second-hand nicotine from vaping' arguments moot. This applies to tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes also. Link below.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199308053290619

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread