Nicotine Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
All my nic base is stored at 0 degrees F in an upright freezer and it's all nice and clear after a couple of years. I have one 100ml bottle that must have been part of my older stock that spent some time in the refrigerator before I started freezing my newer nic. It's a nice shade of light gold,but completely transparent. I'm using it first and haven't noticed any sort of off taste or abnormal nic bite.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
... NN uses sulfuric acid and claims that, "Unlike other nicotine test kits on the market, we utilize a more dilute acid solution for increased resolution in readings. Tl;dr - Your results will likely be more accurate than competing nicotine test kits!"...

OK, so I looked at the NN kit. NN indeed is capable of being more accurate if your use your own (ie better) labware. Not because the acid is more dilute, but because it is more precise, .01M vs .1M used by most others, if the .1M was .10M then they would be equally precise.

What Dr Kurt was trying to explain is that unless your acid is very precise, AND your labware is very precise, then your result cannot be very precise.

Acids expressed as 0.1M are not accurate enough to get more than +/- 10mgml, but NN's .01M could get you to +/- 1mgml providing you are measuring volumes precisely. NN's use of syringes and 15 & 50mL graduated conical vials wont give you +/- .1ml precision of volume, so really you are back to about +/- 10 mgml capability. To get +/- 1mgml you need to dispense that .01M acid with a "class A" burette that measures down to .1ml, and know how to read the meniscus. Syringes wont give you that kind of precision.

Their reagent is good enough, but their labware lacks the precision needed to get better than +/- 10mgml.

Its still probably a better kit than most though.

For those using nicotine salts: it is important to note that these titration kits do not work at all for nicotine salts. salts already have acid in them which alters (lowers) the pH and makes the Bromothymol Blue titration method invalid.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
NN's use of syringes and 15 & 50mL graduated conical vials wont give you +/- .1ml precision of volume, so really you are back to about +/- 10 mgml capability. To get +/- 1mgml you need to dispense that .01M acid with a "class A" burette that measures down to .1ml, and know how to read the meniscus. Syringes wont give you that kind of precision.

I'm willing to buy a kit, but I don't think I'll be buying labware. I'm curious, but I'm not that curious.

Thanks, Mike! :wub:

Reactions: mikepetro
I think there currently is two US sources for retail nics; USA Liquid Nicotine and Carolina extracts, the former is e.g. on liquidbarn etc. and said to be pretty "rough", whereas the later is stated to be exceptionally clean...
I wondered the same..At PerfectVape n alone on Google is that CMT nic n nic salts( or CNT?) I know its 98.00$ for just a 120 ml bottle..nobody ever mentions it but claims to be the Best..it should be for that price.Liquid barn sux in high mg salt nic n now with NY flav ban they won't even sell me nic,VG or pg..the rest diy sites said they could sell me everything but flavs n to buy my flavs at non eliquid diy shops like wizard labs who don't sell nicotine but sell all the major concentrates.. What BS..I'm still getting my EJUICE anyway from Cali at 2 shops that havent noticed or don't give a sht n rather have the business n take the lil risk..its only flav ban not a vape ban so liquid barn can kiss it..yeah CNT I believe super high end at an VG to pg ration n strengths.Never diy with it but must be pretty decent.Wish I knew who Nkd 100 n Vgod uses..their juices are totally clear,clean no harshness at 50 mg..Top notch whatever they use..Vgod too..mighty mint at 50 mg is like 3 mg reg nic..smooth n ultra clear..Glad you mentioned Carolina one..I almost bought uid nicotine wholesalers or nude.Nic Vape n central vapors also sell salts at 250 mg that looked pretty clear(central I believe was 250 mg?) Last a while if its good at that strength!

I hope to get a hold of nicvape and xtremevaping nic soon, but the thing is, if VZ is just as good as nicvape as you tell me, and I find ECX just as good as VZ, one could argue I should probably stop looking for something better and stick with linx and leah.

How much better can it get than flavorless, colorless straight up TH?

Maybe if I am convinced of somebody's purity over my two favorites right now, but I dunno...

ECX prices are pretty sweet right now!
I'm struggling with this forum reading sht from 2012-2015 n I'm tryna figure out best nic salt to buy n these comments are before nic salt was a thing lol.Gotta learn how to use this forum..Nic River is now Pur nic I believe so won't learn much diy best salt nic to use here lol

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm struggling with this forum reading sht from 2012-2015 n I'm tryna figure out best nic salt to buy n these comments are before nic salt was a thing lol.Gotta learn how to use this forum..Nic River is now Pur nic I believe so won't learn much diy best salt nic to use here lol

I get my nicotine salts from Nude Nicotine, clean and smooth. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread