Nic Salt Nic Shot + Flavour

Status
Not open for further replies.

FleaMedia

Aug 31, 2018
Hay, Just a quick question Regarding nic shots.

Over the past few months I have been really enjoying using some 20mg nic salt liquids in my Aspire Gusto Mini.

Its a MTL pod system but really easy to refill. In fact its so easy I can't believe that they don't expect people to.

But the nic salt liquids are really quite expensive, £4-6 for a 10ml bottle. (yes I am in the UK)

I have been looking at Nic Shots (around £2/10ml) and short fills for a while now but that would drop the nic level to around 3-6mg with is way too low for me.

What I am wondering is, would there be any detriment to just buying a Nic shot and adding some flavour concentrate?

That way i could make around 100ml of 16mg for around £20 instead of buying 100ml for £40-60

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't see any detriment necessarily, if you find it works for you. It sounds like the cost savings would be worth trying it. You'd just need to make sure your base nicotine is in the ratio you desire as far as PG/VG (if I am understanding you correctly, that you want to basically use the nicshot as your base and add flavoring to it.

If I'm incorrect, I'm betting a EU vaper is going to come around and clarify for you more.

Anna

FleaMedia

Aug 31, 2018
I don't see any detriment necessarily, if you find it works for you. It sounds like the cost savings would be worth trying it. You'd just need to make sure your base nicotine is in the ratio you desire as far as PG/VG (if I am understanding you correctly, that you want to basically use the nicshot as your base and add flavoring to it.

If I'm incorrect, I'm betting a EU vaper is going to come around and clarify for you more.

Anna

You are 100% correct.

I am looking at some 80/20 VG/PG 20mg Nic shot as a base + around 20% flavour concentrate. Im not sure what the flavours are made of tho, im assuming it is some kind of extremely strong flavouring in a PG/VG solution but i can't find any information on this.

I just wanted to make sure that the Nic shots didn't have some kind of funky flavour or something that had to be diluted away with the short fills.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The flavor concentrates we use in diy are in fact highly concentrated. You would probably be happier with one shots, the recipe of flavors in one bottled concentrate. It is as simple as buying your preferred base, a bottle of the one shot, and mixing the two. An e liquid calculator will tell how much of each to use. All you need is a graduated cylinder or scale to measure liquids in.

• Agree

FleaMedia

Aug 31, 2018
The flavor concentrates we use in diy are in fact highly concentrated. You would probably be happier with one shots, the recipe of flavors in one bottled concentrate. It is as simple as buying your preferred base, a bottle of the one shot, and mixing the two. An e liquid calculator will tell how much of each to use. All you need is a graduated cylinder or scale to measure liquids in.

TO Be honest I have never heard of “one shots” before.

What I had in mind was one 10ml bottle of this.
Nic Salt High VG Nicotine Booster Shot by Just Nic It

With probably around 2ml of this
Ice Mint Concentrate by Global Hubb

Or to make it easy. Decant 4 bottles of the mic shot into a big bottle then refill one with flavour and pour that in.

Works out a hell of a lot cheaper than pre mixed flavours.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Most flavors are PG although a few are alcohol based or VG based, but they're in the minority.

You may or may not need 20% it all depends on the flavoring. One shots are easier as Letitia said because they are designed to be added, shaken and vaped, and they are a premade recipe. Also, you'd be able to more easily figure out the percentage you need, you could say, start at 10%, vape it, see if you need to add more, etc. I'd do that in a small tester bottle of your base and then go from there.

The problem with individual concentrates is it may or may not be as easy to get something "vapable" quickly although I guess you could look at some premade recipes of flavorers that have come before, but there are an awful lot of variables including steeping time needed, how to balance your ratios correctly and whether or not you need added sweeteners. If this is something you want to get into you certainly can and it's not impossible to do or anything, it can just sort of take some time testing and experimenting and steeping and whatever else. So a few one shots to get you going might not be a bad idea at all, even if you still want to say, work on your own recipes too.

Best of luck,

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well that sounds simple enough (I don't think I saw your post) and if that is what appeals, go for it.

What were you vaping before though, was it very simple but super strong flavorings? Because if they were premade, unless you know the vendor and sometimes not even then, figuring out what you were vaping compared to what you will be making, can be dizzying.

But hey, if you like really plain menthol for example, you are totally on the right track. Etc.

Where are you getting these flavorings though, are they from the actual flavor manufacturer directly or from your former eliquid vaper, because it is my understanding (although I'm not 100% on the process) is that it can be somewhat common to get "flavoring shots" that are pre-made in house, just flavors separated out from whatever base, and that this has some murky thing to do with TPD and being able to vape at the necessary nicotine strength, so if it's from someone who makes eliquid, the flavors you have may already BE flavor shots?

IDK sorry to make it murky, I'm trying to understand what you are actually trying to DO, and what you HAVE that you are mixing with.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have been looking at Nic Shots (around £2/10ml) and short fills for a while now but that would drop the nic level to around 3-6mg with is way too low for me.

What would you be adding the shot to that will drop the nic to 3-6mg/ml?

Just a suggestion, I would probably start at 10% flavoring then if that's not enough increase in increments of 5%. The reason is, if it's too light you can always add more flavoring to an existing batch, but once you add too much you can't take it back out. You could add more nic at that point, but flip flopping on what you are adding, you can quickly get lost as to where you are in concentration of each.

fitchy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Haverhill, UNITED KINGDOM
Hay, Just a quick question Regarding Nic Shots.

Over the past few months I have been really enjoying using some 20mg Nic Salt liquids in my Aspire Gusto Mini.

Its a MTL pod system but really easy to refill. In fact its so easy I can't believe that they don't expect people to.

But the nic salt liquids are really quite expensive, £4-6 for a 10ml bottle. (yes I am in the UK)

What I am wondering is, would there be any detriment to just buying a Nic shot and adding some flavour concentrate?

That way i could make around 100ml of 16mg for around £20 instead of buying 100ml for £40-60

Great question, as I was thinking exactly the same myself,.. but have gotta try some nic salts first to make sure I can cope with the strength... I'm like you from the uk and I begrudge buying 10 ml at 4 to 5 pounds... lol

FleaMedia

Aug 31, 2018
What would you be adding the shot to that will drop the nic to 3-6mg/ml?

Just a suggestion, I would probably start at 10% flavoring then if that's not enough increase in increments of 5%. The reason is, if it's too light you can always add more flavoring to an existing batch, but once you add too much you can't take it back out. You could add more nic at that point, but flip flopping on what you are adding, you can quickly get lost as to where you are in concentration of each.
Scott, I’m assuming you are in the USA. Please forgive my assumption if I’m wrong.

In the UK you can buy these:Short Fill eLiquids
Basically 50ml of pre mixed liquid in a 60ml bottle that you as a nic shot to.

Unfortunately the strongest they can sell in the UK is 20mg in a 10ml bottle.

Great question, as I was thinking exactly the same myself,.. but have gotta try some nic salts first to make sure I can cope with the strength... I'm like you from the uk and I begrudge buying 10 ml at 4 to 5 pounds... lol
Fitchy, try the salts I love em! You get a nice buzz from the first hit in the morning just like I remember from the analogues and I find I’m not vaping anywhere near as often as freebase nic, and as smooth as butter.

FleaMedia

Aug 31, 2018
Well that sounds simple enough (I don't think I saw your post) and if that is what appeals, go for it.

IDK sorry to make it murky, I'm trying to understand what you are actually trying to DO, and what you HAVE that you are mixing with.

Anna

Sorry Anna I completely missed your post.

I currently vape elements nicotine salt eliquids (10ml bottle 20mg 60vg) £6/bottle

I am looking at getting:
Nicotine salt “nic shot” (10ml bottle 20mg 80vg designers to be added to 50ml of flavoured 0mg base to make 60ml ~3mg) £2/bottle
flavour concentrate (30ml bottle, not sure of ingredients but manufacture suggests adding to base in 80-20 ratio) £8/bottle

Flavour and nic shot listed above. I’m afraid I have no more information than that to give.

I think I’m just going to give it a go and see anyway.

Will let you all know hoe it turns out.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Scott, I’m assuming you are in the USA. Please forgive my assumption if I’m wrong.

In the UK you can buy these:Short Fill eLiquids
Basically 50ml of pre mixed liquid in a 60ml bottle that you as a nic shot to.

Unfortunately the strongest they can sell in the UK is 20mg in a 10ml bottle.

Fitchy, try the salts I love em! You get a nice buzz from the first hit in the morning just like I remember from the analogues and I find I’m not vaping anywhere near as often as freebase nic, and as smooth as butter.

Yes I am in the US, the restrictions on you guys are dumb AF. I see what you are saying now, they want you to buy diluted flavorings (short fills) and add nic shots and end up with very low nic final product. You are wanting to get flavor concentrate to add to nic shots to end up with a higher concentration. That should work.

Since most flavorings are in a PG, water, oil, or alcohol base I would suggest getting your nic shots in a higher VG base depending on how thick/thin you like your final solution to be. As mentioned above start with about 10% flavor. I have tried 20 on some and they were overwhelming. I think 17% is the highest I use of any flavoring and most are around 10-12%. I also suggest starting with small batches like 10ml final amount (9ml nic, 1ml flavor, or 8ml nic and 2ml flavor) until you get the ratios right. So if it isn't good you didn't waste a lot.

FleaMedia

Aug 31, 2018
Yes I am in the US, the restrictions on you guys are dumb AF. I see what you are saying now, they want you to buy diluted flavorings (short fills) and add nic shots and end up with very low nic final product. You are wanting to get flavor concentrate to add to nic shots to end up with a higher concentration. That should work.

You got it exactly. In fact more concise than myself.

I agree to a point that out reatrictions are dumb. But knowing the dipsh*ts here in the UK someone would try vaping pure nicotine and kill themselvs or something.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
You can do it but you might not perceive much flavor. If you are using a strong flavor like mints,some tobaccos,horchata,cinn's and the like, probably ok strength/taste wise (an RDA is perfect for this type of experimenting), however, 95% or more of the available mix flavors may be too faint to detect. You may really need to use DIY concentrated flavors to achieve your goal.
DIY Mix = a group of concentrated flavors with or without nic.
Shortfill e liquids are sold in larger bottles filled to 80% capacity by manufacturers to allow space for you to add a nicotine containing e liquid shot
Nic shots are liquids in 10ml bottles containing 20 mg/ml Nicotine without flavouring.
Here is a quick look into DIY, might like to visit:
Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
DIYorDIE Concentrates
The Ultimate Guide on How To Make Vape Juice & E-Liquid
How to get started mixing your own DIY e liquids.
Might like to google " a_beginners_guide_to_making the most highly rated ".

FleaMedia

Aug 31, 2018
Success!!

Picked up some plain Nic Salt Shots, The listings I bought them from clearly stated "DESIGNED FOR USE IN SHORT FILLS, DO NOT VAPE PRODUCT WITHOUT DILUTING!", but looking at the ingredients, it is just 50/50 PG/VG and 20mg nicotine benzoate. No flavours or additives at all, apart from benzoic acid to turn the nic into salts*.

I think they just don't want people doing what I am doing because they can't make as much money from it.

but anyway, 10ml bottle of 20mg nic salt + 3ml ice mint flavouring later, we have a go!

* I find it hard to find places that sell nic salts, and most people i speak to don't know what they are, believing adding benzoic acid is in some way bad for you, but from what i can remember from school science:
acid + base(alkaline) = salt + water

And nicotine is base so it just turns into nicotine salts + water with i assume is evaporated off.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you can get a vendor to tell you what process they use (or buy or whatever) that may be helpful. I think the three agents that can be used are malic, benzoic and citric acid. There's also a thread on here about converting free base at home to nic salts using citric acid, although I haven't seen it come up in a while, it may be closed but perhaps a useful read nevertheless if freebase is cheaper where you are.

From what I read, the most trouble people had was getting the citric acid to dissolve into the nicotine, it did not look like a particularly unsafe or difficult process, with that said I'm also not a chemist.

Good luck moving forward glad it worked.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread