Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I read somewhere in this thread that temperature changes can damage it although I haven't read the entire thread. I read some post from Carolina Extracts saying that? I mean - if I have to buy a portable car powered freezer I will in order to keep this NIC fresh but I'd prefer not to..

You have no choice in the matter, though. I mean, unless you own a 12V freezer that you can plug into your vehicle as you move the nic from point a to point b.

Reactions: SonnyCrack

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    I read somewhere in this thread that temperature changes can damage it although I haven't read the entire thread. I read some post from Carolina Extracts saying that? I mean - if I have to buy a portable car powered freezer I will in order to keep this NIC fresh but I'd prefer not to..
    I think the idea is to avoid thaw/freeze/thaw/freeze as a regular part of your process - like whenever you need some.
    You're being VERY careful with it - which is good, but I think the extreme of a portable freezer may be unnecessary.
    I moved recently - and I didn't send the nic in the moving truck (lol) but let it come to "room temp" while the FREEZER went in the moving truck, and drove my nic to my new house. So it got to room temp for a few days, then went back in the freezer. The one bottle I've pulled since then was good as new, but of course, there's really no definitive telling if I impacted the longevity of the entire stash. And since the recent threat of a tax written by idiots, I upped my inventory to the extent that I may not need some of my nic until like 2036.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    but I think the extreme of a portable freezer may be unnecessary.

I do too. I only said that because it's a moot point if you don't have one. I don't think it's really needed, especially since it's only a 1 hour trip.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Newport News, Virginia, United States
    I have been following the thread since the beginning. IMHO you do not need to go to such extremes. The goal is simply to keep it as cold as you can, but no need to go to extreme measures or expense..

Glass bottles in a cooler covered in ice worked fine for me on a recent 6 hour move.

You can buy a car powered freezer, it will work great. A cooler full of ice will work 99.9% as well as that freezer for trips shorter than a day.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I'm going to be moving into another house which will be about an hour away... My plan (until seeing this thread) was to put my 10 liters of frozen NIC in a cooler with ICE (buried in ice like beers back in the day).. Will this significantly damage/alter the NIC or should I take extra steps?
    That sounds like a fine plan to me.

You wanna keep it cold for as much of the time that it's in storage as possible, but you don't have to be totally OCD about it. I've got nic down at my house in FL that's been through two week-long power outages after hurricanes (Matthew in 2016 and Irma in 2017). As far as I can tell, it didn't suffer much and I still use it.

I read somewhere in this thread that temperature changes can damage it although I haven't read the entire thread. I read some post from Carolina Extracts saying that?
    They've written some stuff that should be taken with a whole ship load of salt.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 22, 2011
    Florida
    That sounds like a fine plan to me.

You wanna keep it cold for as much of the time that it's in storage as possible, but you don't have to be totally OCD about it. I've got nic down at my house in FL that's been through two week-long power outages after hurricanes (Matthew in 2016 and Irma in 2017). As far as I can tell, it didn't suffer much and I still use it.

They've written some stuff that should be taken with a whole ship load of salt.

Just got back from vacation. Thanks so much for the reply! It's VERY much appreciated!

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Y'all may have noticed I've not been around much for a while now. I am so thankful I paid heed to the writing on the wall when I did and stocked up on enough 100mg nicotine to last me and my other half for the rest of our lives and then some.

All of mine is stored in glass bottles sitting in the bottom of my chest freezer. Every now and then I pull out a small bottle. Each time I do I find it is still as fresh as it was the day I bottled it up.

Although i am set for the rest of my life I still try to keep up with what's happening. It seems the powers that be have just about killed this life saving product and what's left belongs to the ones that helped hook us to begin with. :(

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    Yep, I've both PG and VG nic in my samples and don't see a much difference either. E.g, have a look at the pics in post 933 of this very thread. Two of the bottles (one in the freezer group, one in the room temperature group) are VG the rest are PG. Can you tell which is which without studying the labels?
    Are those sample bottles still intact and if so, any chance of an update before you head north?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Are those sample bottles still intact and if so, any chance of an update before you head north?
    Yeah, they are. Thing is, I was up north for most of the second half of 2021 and just got back here to FL recently. However, I do have some newer samples here as well, PG & VG; freezer, fridge, and room temp. Guess I should dig them out and post an update at some point.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    No power outages?
    There haven't been any long enough to have an effect on things in the freezer for a number of years.

Last time I thought we were likely to get a storm that might knock power out for a while (summer of 2020) I went and bought a storm repelling device. It worked too -- power never went out! :D

Of course that doesn't help if we're not here, like for much of the second half of last year. :blush:

gouldenvape

May 31, 2015
    Just wondering, and I think I have already found the answer based on various other posters info-- the fact that 100%VG Nic Base does not really freeze in domestic home freezers, since it requires much lower temperature to actually freeze-- I am just checking that freezing and unfreezing, then refreezing again is absolutely not a problem??
    I have had NIC Base 100% VG frozen since before the TPD laws came in, and most of it has come out just fine, maybe a slight darkening of colour if anything.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    100%VG Nic Base does not really freeze in domestic home freezers, since it requires much lower temperature to actually freeze
    That's correct. Neither will 100% PG base, or any mixture of PG and VG.

I am just checking that freezing and unfreezing, then refreezing again is absolutely not a problem??
    It's not exactly desirable. The implication is also that you're opening it and re-sealing it every time you do this, letting fresh air/oxygen into the bottle. The temperature cycles are probably not idea either. This is why most of us prefer to store smaller bottles that don't need to keep going in an out of the freezer.

But if you must do this, let the sealed bottle come fully to room temperature before opening it to avoid condensation forming on the inside of the open bottle.

gouldenvape

May 31, 2015
    Thanks, to be honest, there was a 1 Litre bottle(72mg) 100%VG unopened and frozen since 2017,I took it out, left it 48 hours plus in the house, and moved it to a warm area, nearer the radiator for a further 12 hours(overnight) then opened it and decanted it into 1 X 500ml and 2 X 250ml which, so far are still in a fridge waiting to get refrozen. I'll leave 1 X 250 ml(possibly both) in fridge and re-freeze the 500ml.
    I also had another 2 X 500 ml(72mg 100%VG) that never got opened but after the 48 hours in room temp, they've gone back in a freezer.
    Thanks for your help, I hope the 2x 500ml, that never got opened will be ok, the others are still in a fridge waiting, so I can do what's best with those.

Reactions: DavidOck

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I've been keeping a 4oz (~120ml) glass working bottle of nic 100mg base in my fridge until it's used up and haven't noticed any difference visually or in taste. The bottles are clear glass, no brown tint. It's in the door and I open the fridge 2-4 times a day. But I have not been doing this very long so YMMV.

Edited to add: Actually the very first bottle I kept in a cupboard for weeks just to see what would happen to it - nothing.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    If it were me, I'd only keep one of the 250s in the fridge and put everything else back in the freezer.

That's pretty much My modus operandi.

Keep a Small Bottle of Nicotine Base in the Frig and the rest in Small Bottles in the Freezer. Then when the Small Bottle is near the end, pull the next Oldest Bottle out of the Freezer and put it in the Frig.

I Down-Mix to Pre-Mix (4~8mg/ml) straight from the Frig Bottle. So the Nicotine Base Doesn't really ever become Room Temp. Then I keep the 180ml or so of Pre-Mix in a File Cabinet as my working Day-to-Day supply.

gouldenvape

May 31, 2015
    Thanks everyone, I think I am doing same as most people-- that is mostly my NIC is in the freezer again, after having to get unfrozen due to a house move for the freezer, and I'll keep one 250ml in my fridge and the rest can stay frozen until required again-- they all basically had a few days back to room temp, then frozen again, with the biggest bottle getting decanted into usable sizes.

deckar01

Apr 6, 2022
    Hi guys,

if unfreeze a nic base 52mg and then keep it to fridge will i have any problem? I move it out of fridge so as to make it from 52mg to 20mg. I hope to do not have any issues.

Moreover my nic base is in freezer from 2017 will i have any issue if i unfreeze it so as to make it from 100mg to 20mg and use it for vaping?

Thanks and regards!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Should be fine, Deckar. Do follow the above advice and let it warm to room temp before opening. That's pretty much what we all do, keep it on ice until needed to dilute to working strength. The key is to minimize exposure to air, hence the recommendation to put into smaller bottles after opening, say, a 1 liter bottle.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread