Newbie thankful for this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carley

Sep 28, 2013
United States
Hello,

I am new to vaping and new to the forum. I am still learning all about this world of vaping, and the lingo that goes with it and this is such a great forum to learn from. I am trying to quit smoking, I've been doing it for about 20 years and have tried many different ways such as patches, chantrex, gum all kinds of crap to quit smoking, none have worked. I decided vaping might be the answer, as I see that many of you have been able to quit smoking by vaping. I can't say I have quit smoking cigarettes, but I can say I have reduced smoking significantly by vaping. I look forward to reading and learning more from this forum.

swhite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
connecticut
Hello Carley,
I am new to posting but have been vaping for almost two years now and I wish you the best of luck with this. My health has improved so much and I am so thankful I found this group because I have learned so much from the posts, as you will too. The nicest thing about the people on this forum is that they don't judge, they only encourage and help. Once you find some juices you really like and some equipment you are happy with it should be even easier for you to cut down on cigs and maybe even quit them all together!

Thank you for welcoming me. RiffeShooter, I did read a suggestion from someone on the forum and that is not to spend more than you do on cigarettes. So I'm trying to keep that in mind when reading advice and looking at the pics, especially after your comment. LOl Hope you enjoy your new stuff. :vapor:

Well, I didn't at first. I quit smoking on May 5 last year and started off with an Ego. Worked great until I started getting curious about the bigger stuff yesterday. :)

WayfaringStranger

Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
Boise, Idaho
Hello,

I am new to vaping and new to the forum. I am still learning all about this world of vaping, and the lingo that goes with it and this is such a great forum to learn from. I am trying to quit smoking, I've been doing it for about 20 years and have tried many different ways such as patches, chantrex, gum all kinds of crap to quit smoking, none have worked. I decided vaping might be the answer, as I see that many of you have been able to quit smoking by vaping. I can't say I have quit smoking cigarettes, but I can say I have reduced smoking significantly by vaping. I look forward to reading and learning more from this forum.

Welcome Carley!

Carley

Sep 28, 2013
United States
Hello Carley,
I am new to posting but have been vaping for almost two years now and I wish you the best of luck with this. My health has improved so much and I am so thankful I found this group because I have learned so much from the posts, as you will too. The nicest thing about the people on this forum is that they don't judge, they only encourage and help. Once you find some juices you really like and some equipment you are happy with it should be even easier for you to cut down on cigs and maybe even quit them all together!

Thank you for the support Swhite, before I posted I could feel that the people on this forum were going to be very encouraging and supportive. I think you are right, as far as finding the right flavors and equipment, since I started vaping, for the first time I am feeling like I can end my smoking addiction.

swhite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
connecticut
It is such a great feeling when you realize that this can work for you, especially if you have tried other methods of quitting that didn't work. I only had 6 cigs left when I bought my first kit and liquids. The first day I had 3 cigs and vaped the rest of the time. By the end of the day I realized that physically I felt the same so I started to believe that this could replace smoking. I smoked up the last 3 cigs the next day and from my third day on only vaping. I think your attitude and desire to quit cigs is important as well as finding the right nic level for you. The people I bought my juice from said to start with 24 mg but I did have a little trouble with headaches if I vaped too much so I went to 18 mg and it was perfect for me. Just get on this forum and ask questions too, if you have some or need advice.

Carley

Sep 28, 2013
United States
Hi Carly. Welcome and good luck! Vaping makes it so much easier to toss the cigarettes. I smoked for 20+ years and never thought it would be possible for me. I bought a Kanger Evod about 10 days ago and haven't had a real cigarette since.

You can do it :)

Thank you for your support and encouragement. Sounds like you have smoked as long as I have, so congratulations are in order for yourself, You must be so proud. I know I will be where you are at, in no time.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Welcome Carly. I am new to the forum and also to vaping. I've smoked at least a pack and a half a day for 40+ years. Have been lucky and healthy all my life and haven't had any health issues to speak of (don't understand how, but I'm grateful.)

I had thought about quitting off and on, but never even made an attempt to stop all those years. I loved to smoke and kept on smoking.

About a week ago, I went to the drugstore and bought a Blu starter kit, and spent the next two days puffing on the Blu, and charging the tiny batteries that came with it. It was a whole lot of trouble, charging the batteries every hour and a half or so, and I kept waiting anxiously for that "I have to smoke a cigarette feeling", but it never really came.

The two days with Blu let me know that this method would work for me, and that I could indeed NOT smoke, and furthermore, NOT smoke pretty painlessly. I found this forum and read one evening for hours - everything in the new member section.

With a little education under my belt, the next morning I went to a local vape shop and got a proper beginner kit with a couple of ego batteries, some clearomrizer tanks, and 3 bottles of juice. I picked 2 "tobacco" flavors, because I thought that was what I wanted, instead of flavors. Boy, was I wrong about that. It turns out I love the one the shop threw in for free, which tastes a little like coconut cream pie! Go figure.

Anyhow, I am very excited about this whole experience and consider it a tremendous success! I haven't even had a desire to pick up a cigarette since I started this adventure.

I wish you success in finding what works for you.

PS Now that I have the cute little banner/counter in my posts to keep track - it's made me almost wish I had smoked more expensive cigarettes, instead of generics. I could be saving so much more money. Ha!;)

Last edited:

Carley

Sep 28, 2013
United States
Welcome Carly. I am new to the forum and also to vaping. I've smoked at least a pack and a half a day for 40+ years. Have been lucky and healthy all my life and haven't had any health issues to speak of (don't understand how, but I'm grateful.)

I had thought about quitting off and on, but never even made an attempt to stop all those years. I loved to smoke and kept on smoking.

About a week ago, I went to the drugstore and bought a Blu starter kit, and spent the next two days puffing on the Blu, and charging the tiny batteries that came with it. It was a whole lot of trouble, charging the batteries every hour and a half or so, and I kept waiting anxiously for that "I have to smoke a cigarette feeling", but it never really came.

The two days with Blu let me know that this method would work for me, and that I could indeed NOT smoke, and furthermore, NOT smoke pretty painlessly. I found this forum and read one evening for hours - everything in the new member section.

With a little education under my belt, the next morning I went to a local vape shop and got a proper beginner kit with a couple of ego batteries, some clearomrizer tanks, and 3 bottles of juice. I picked 2 "tobacco" flavors, because I thought that was what I wanted, instead of flavors. Boy, was I wrong about that. It turns out I love the one the shop threw in for free, which tastes a little like coconut cream pie! Go figure.

Anyhow, I am very excited about this whole experience and consider it a tremendous success! I haven't even had a desire to pick up a cigarette since I started this adventure.

I wish you success in finding what works for you.

PS Now that I have the cute little banner/counter in my posts to keep track - it's made me almost wish I had smoked more expensive cigarettes, instead of generics. I could be saving so much more money. Ha!;)

That is so awesome, you must be so proud of yourself, I am looking forward to having that feeling. I got two ego twist and 10 flavors, so I am ready stop smoking as I can feel it taking it's toll on my health. With you story and many others I have read, I know that it is possible. Thanks for sharing your story.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
That is so awesome, you must be so proud of yourself, I am looking forward to having that feeling. I got two ego twist and 10 flavors, so I am ready stop smoking as I can feel it taking it's toll on my health. With you story and many others I have read, I know that it is possible. Thanks for sharing your story.

Carley, I hope to keep up with you here in the forum, and encourage you any way I can. I saw something someone posted the other night that really spoke to me.

They talked about the "Ghost Habit" still lurking in our minds. Smoking cigarettes for years and years is more than just getting nicotine into our systems that have come to demand it. I think it's also about the "rituals" that go along with smoking. It's a complicated set of physical and emotional actions that we are so accustomed to.

I think that's why I never tried the patch or gum, or medication. I told my hubby the other night, "I can't see myself busy an hour or so with one of my hobbies, like papercrafting, or crocheting, or reading, and then stopping and saying to myself, "Well, I think I will take a little break, slap a patch on my shoulder and have a nice cup of coffee." Or chew a piece of gum, or take a pill.

Maybe that's why the vaping is working so well for me. There are enough of the same ritual actions involved, and I can work it into the routines of my daily life, and that is comforting to me.

About the "Ghost Habit" though, I've caught myself this whole week with my ego in hand, puffing away, pretty happily, and then feeling a little frantic when I notice my cigarette case is not in front of me, like it always used to be. It just lasts a moment, but it's almost funny to me how strong those feelings are. Also, there are still a few ashtrays sitting around that I haven't yet put away. I've caught myself tapping the metal ego in the ashtray, clank, clank, before I remember it's not a cigarette. That made me smile, which is a good thing.

I'm counting on my sense of humor and the support of folks here to get me through any bumps in the road, and I'm sure there will be some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread