• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Newbie needs help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdnreturner

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Guelph, Ontario
I guess I'm totally confused with everything here!!!

Scenario:

30+ years smoker, 8-12 per day
Need to quit for health reasons
Work from home so battery life not an issue
Just want something to relax with at the end of the day

So from my readings it looks like the EGO or 510 is the way to go for newbies. But I'm having trouble understanding what the difference is between the EGO and EGO-T besides the price.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Cathie

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
So from my readings it looks like the EGO or 510 is the way to go for newbies. But I'm having trouble understanding what the difference is between the EGO and EGO-T besides the price.

The eGO-T is an EGO with a tank system rather than a cartridge system.

The tank system has a tank you fill with e-juice. It lasts longer between fills, however the atomizers tend to have a shorter lifespan. The vapor is also cooler, giving a different taste.

The cartridge system has a cartridge filled with stuffing (like a zippo) that you saturate with e-juice. It requires filling more often.

The 510 also comes in tank (510-t) or cartridge (510). The 510 is a smaller unit. The battery life is much shorted between charges, like 1-2 hours vs. 6 or more for the e-go. The size is comparable to an analog. The atomizers tend to vape hotter.

SharonCC

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2011
Newfoundland, Canada
Hi Cathie....I'm new as well. I've just ordered a Riva 510, as I've heard good things about it. I find that I'm trying to read too much about various models, options etc. and I'm getting a tad confused as well. I can't vouch for the Riva yet, as it hasn't arrived, but I did do a lot of research. I'm currently using a Hello 016, which I also like. My biggest mistake, is not having enough spare parts, and juice on hand, which results in my buying cigarettes. At the beginning, you don't really know what you need, and ordering everything online takes time...When I get everything sorted, and get supplies organized, so I'm not running out, I expect it's going to be a way to get off cigs for good...Good luck with it!

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Welcome to ECF!
Can_supplier covered your question well. I'd just like to add that with the eliquid (nicotine liquid) used to fill the cartridges or tanks, I would suggest looking into buying sampler packs (~5 - 10 3-5mL bottles) from different vendors. Finding an eliquid flavor that you will like is one of the more 'interesting' aspects of using e-cigarettes. Chances are you won't find one that tastes like smoking a cigarette tastes. The tobacco flavored liquids seem, to me anyway, to taste like tobacco smells, if that makes sense. I smoked Marlboro Lights and have now settled on peppermint as my "all day vape"; so explore different flavors and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

teabagger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2010
newmarket
for a introduction to vaping made easy, get the VOLT or the bloog, its the new and improved kr8, and imo its fantastic. the volt is identical to the bloog but cheaper. If you get the volt get the sampler packs they offer, and you can try 10 flavors quite easily and get a feel for vaping.. as you were a light smoker(10-12) you will find the battery life ample, and you can always get a passthrough for when you are near a computer. just my 2 cents worth

Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarettes | Wholesale Electronic Cigarettes | E-Cigarette | Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarette

and happy vaper in canada sells the bloog
Happy Vaper - Canada Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid, DIY Concentrated Flavorings!

wood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
edmonton
theres also dripping where u drip 2-3 drops on an atty every time u want to have 6-7 puffs which provides the best flavour and throat hit , i know you say battery life is not important but it kind of is , by that i mean if as you progress in your vaping journey there may be other atties you would like to try which is not possible with the low mah of a 510 an ego has a higher mah and that doesnt just mean better battery battery life it mean your able to use Low Resistance or LR atties which is a big difference in vapor and throat hit and temp once you use LR its hard to go back but with the ego at least you have the option , the ego passthrough battery with a cisco LR306 atty from happy vaper is what i would recommend that way you can also use the tank atties both ego and 510 and u can vape while plugged in and then unplug and still have a 650 mah ego battery if u should need to step out

CCarolina

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Dallas
Hi, I am a newby as well, and got my eGo-T a few days ago... It's been a wild ride..... There are great things: the batteries, and awful things: everything you have to do to work properly. I mean, seriously you almost have to have a pHd to have this thing working consistently. Push this part, blow this part, align this part, smoke on this angle.... CAN I JUST VAPE PLEASE?
So, IMHO, if you get the eGo-T, get yourself some Cartomizers right away - because chances are the tanks will fail and you will get frustrated and want to either give up or simply not be able to vape at times. I only don't regret because of the batteries - but I might try some LR attys too, we will see.... But one thing is for sure: I will never be out of cartos. I say either get the 510 or the eGo-T and cartos.

Trailer

Jun 13, 2011
Parry Sound, On Can
Ok so i've got a somewhat related newbie question as well. I'm happy with my 510's but want to move to the ego as well. I have both regular 510 Attys and Tank atomizers and 510 carto's. Will these all work on the ego as well? I don't need to buy an Ego- T to be able to use the tanks attys do I?
I'm making the assumption that the ego batteries are all the same ( Ego or Ego-T ) and that they all use 510 attachments, am I right?

cactusgirl

Sage Tribal Queen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Ok so i've got a somewhat related newbie question as well. I'm happy with my 510's but want to move to the ego as well. I have both regular 510 Attys and Tank atomizers and 510 carto's. Will these all work on the ego as well? I don't need to buy an Ego- T to be able to use the tanks attys do I?
I'm making the assumption that the ego batteries are all the same ( Ego or Ego-T ) and that they all use 510 attachments, am I right?

You are correct, the ego battery should fit any 510 threaded accessory, whether it's a 510 atty, a tank atty, or cartomizer ~ hope this helps!

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada

510 atomizers, carts ect will work on the eGO. The 1st generation of eGos used the 510 atomizer.

I would recommend in addition to the eGO battery to get the “cone”. This fits over the 510 atomizer and attaches to the eGO battery. It regulates the airflow, as the 510 battery is a bit more restrictive than the eGO one. Basically it will give you a firmer more satisfying draw.

Also the eGO battery uses the “fast charger”. Being a larger battery it requires a faster charging rate to maintain a quick charge time (2-3 hours). The 510 charger will work on the eGO battery, but will take double the length of time to charge. DO NOT USE THE eGO FAST CHARGER ON 510 BATTERIES.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Go with a regular ol' eGo, some Boge cartomizers, a drip tip, couple extra atomizers, and maybe a passthrough for when you're at the computer. If you get a 5V PT, get a wall charger for it because it's dangerous for your motherboard to run it off your USB plugin. The PT you need is sold at wal-mart or madvapes.com. Has to be 2amp. Good luck to you and hope you get back on and let us know how things are going.

4Sho

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2011
Toronto, ON, Canada
i have a joye ego-t myself.. i am a newbie too, but i like the ego-t its kind of you can say an all rounder for me, as i have a provari as well. he only thing i did to my ego-t is put a lr 1.6 ohm atty on it and it vapes like champ. and i have a cartridge which takes about 8-10 drops of juice. i myself was a "light" smoker as i only smoked 6-10 analogs/day. and seriously you wont miss em!... also i have the 650mah battery on it and it lasts me pretty much a whole day and it charges up pretty fast. all i can say is that so far i am not disappointed on my buy and i bought this from happy vapers for $80. but do keep atleast an extra atty on yourself and trust me i was all really confused to a week ago but everything is now settled down and i love it! so my cents would be get the joye ego-t which i think is the same as ego-t, get a lr atty, cartridges(you will get 5 free, which are reusable), a drip tip, some juice and yea thats pretty much it! lemme know if you have anyoher questions as im in the similar stage as you but a week ahead:p

cdnreturner

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Guelph, Ontario
Thanks for all the replies. It is certainly helpful. I'd love to order something today if possible. I'm trying to stay away from analogs (again!!!) as of today.

So I'm torn at the moment between the Bloog and Ego. I'm especially concerned about the comments CCarolina made as she seems to have this package arrive and now finding it all quite complicated. Which is my biggest fear is going out and buying a pack of analogs because I'm frustrated understanding what I need to do.

I need it as easy as possible. So if I order a basic Ego starter kit (not a T). What else do I need to order? I want something pre-filled for the first month......is that even possible? Am I looking for atomizers, cartomizers or cartridges......still confused even though I looked it all up!!!!!

I get and certainly agree with the trying out of different flavours. It's interesting the people who now prefer menthol. It was menthol cigarettes I smoked when I first got hooked but haven't smoked them in 20+ years. Also I think I like the strong stuff......same with booze....if it wasn't so unlady like I prefer the booze w/o the mixers!!!!

Cathie

Eileithia

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Cambridge, ON, CANADA
If you are using it as a "Trying to quit" device, I'd definately recommend the Bloog for ease of use and a close to smoking experience. Both the Bloog and Ego have their pros and Cons which I've given a general overview below:

Bloog
Pros:
- Looks and works like a Cigarette
- Easy to fill
- Almost no learning curve

Cons:
- Shorter battery life (vs Ego)
- If you are not careful filling carto you can kill the auto battery
- Cartomizer systems can be a little more pricey long-term
- cannot direct-drip on an auto battery

Ego
Pros:
- Longer Battery Life
- Huge amount of options for accessories
- Can Direct Drip, Use Atty/Cartridge/Tank systems or Cartos
- Atty/Tank systems can be cheaper long-term

Cons:
- Steeper learning curve
- Huge amount of options for accessories (I know I listed this as a pro as well LOL, your wallet will decide which it really is)
- Some users find it "heavy" in their hand
- Does not look like a cigarette

Cartomizers vs Atty / Cartridge / Tank systems.
For a first time vaper, I personally would recommend cartomizers for thier ease of use. For the Bloog, it's simple, just buy the Bloog Cartomizers. Those Cartos are near perfect for ease of use and reliability. For the Ego, I'd stay away from the XL (Fillerless) Cartos to start as they have a learning curve all their own. I'd go with LR Cartos from Happy Vaper, these are pretty close to the Bloog.

Atty/Cartridge systems take a little more tweaking to get to where it's 2nd nature to you, and Tank systems can be frustrating if you happen to get a bad batch of tanks, or wonky Atty out of the gate. I know some people swear by them, but they have their problems.

As for what to buy to start:
Bloog is pretty simple. I'd buy a basic starter kit, or PCC kit (Depending on your budget) but make sure you have at least 2 batteries so you can have one to use while the other is charging. Battery lasts around 2-4 hours of use. I'd pick up a couple spare sets of cartomizers as well.

Ego - Get the basic starter kit, it has everything you need to get going (2 Bats, Charger, 2 Atties, 5-pack of cartridges, cloth carying case). Recommendations - Pick up a 5-pack of LR Cartomizers. They are very easy to use and fill (like the bloog).

As for pre-filled, it depends on where you are buying your kit. If you're purchasing from Happy Vaper (Which I would personally recommend) you should also buy a SAMPLE PACK of juice from another vendor. Happy Vaper does not sell Nicotine juices, and honestly if you're trying to quit, Nicotine goes a long way to the success. If you're purchasing from another vendor, they may have options to get pre-filled with Nic.

Pick a few different flavours to start out. I can tell you, flavours are completely subjective, and it will take nothing but trial and error to find the one that works for you. Be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread