Newbie figuring out coil resistence based on battery specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjbarnes75

Oct 20, 2013
Lompoc, Ca, USA
I have been looking for days and cannot find a clear guide to answer my question. First, I have bought the following equipment to get started:

Sentinel Mech, IGO-w, 50 Ft of 28 AWG Kanthal, I have 2 Efest 18350's, but found and ordered (thanks to ........) 2 Panasonic CGR18650CH high drain rechargeable Li-ion batteries. (3.6 volts). I also have a digital multimeter.

Is there somewhere that explains what information off the battery I need to plug into the Ohm's law calculator to figure out my minimal coil resistance? I don't care about flavor or throat hit at this point, but more what would be the minimal coil resistance that I can safely use in a setup?

Also, I am just getting my resistance reading with my multimeter by placing the neg on the middle post and the red on the other post?

Also Also, If I make a dual coil in the IGO W, is the resistence cut in half? Like a dual coil made of two 3 Ohm coils will now make me have a 1.5 coil?

Thanks for any help!!

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
This is not an ideal setup for a beginner. You have an intermediate to advanced setup. With the batteries you have, combined with the 28g kanthal, look at microcoils, and start with a single coil. You can work up to dual coils later. Find a good video on micro coils on google. Shoot for a 1Ω (Ω = ohm)to start, and get good at it. As for the info on Ohm's law, your batteries will always be at 4.2V at a full charge. Use that for your voltage. Your second variable will be your ohm's, or resistance, The result you should watch for will be less than 6 amps (this is the max for the BEST 18350). Watts are a matter of taste. At 1Ω or higher, you should be safe. Get some good batteries. AW IMR's are the recommended batteries. Genuine AW Batteries at RTD Vapor . As for reading your resistance, Black, negative on the threads, and red on the center post, on the bottom of your atty. DO NOT TRY A DUAL COIL WITH 28g KANTHAL ON AN 18350 BATTERY!!!! Read and learn Baditude's blogs. Keep asking questions, after following these directions. Also, learn and know the info in Baditude's blogs: E-Cigarette Forum - Baditude - Blogs

DO NOT GO BELOW 1Ω TO START! DO NOT START WITH DUAL COILS!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with EVERYTHING that Scarey said above. Sub Ohms are not for beginners, there is too much high risk and too much that can go wrong for a beginner. Gain some valuable experience with normal resistance (1.0 - 1.8 ohm) coils FIRST until you learn the ropes so to speak.

Cloud Chasing is Dangerous

How is Sub Ohm Vaping Dangerous?

Intro into the World of RBAs

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Mechanical Mod Proper Usage Guide

I don't really recommend any of the standard IMR batteries for sub ohm vaping. They all have a minimum discharge rating of 10 amps, which is inadequate for all sub ohm builds < 0.8 ohm if you allow 0.3 ohm for some safe wiggle room. Coil resistance can change inexplicably for unknown reasons, so a little safe wiggle room is necessary IMO. You don't want a battery to fail and go into thermal runaway in a mechanical mod like this: IMR battery failure

The best 18350 IMR battery only has a 6 amp continuous discharge rating so pratically speaking it is not an option for sub ohms IMO. For safety reasons and for the best sub ohm performance, only use the highest-amp-capable 18650 IMR batteries available listed below:

AW IMR 18650 1600mah 24A

MNKE IMR 18650 1500mah ​20A

Orbtronic 18650 SX22 (hybrid) 2000mAh 22A

Samsung hybrid (LiNiCoMnP) INR18650-20R 2000mah 22A

Sony us18650vct3 (hybrid) 1600mAh 30A

Efest IMR 18650 1600mAh 30A​

Learn how to use the Ohm's Law Calculator by putting in the voltage (4.2) with your coil resistance. The amp draw from the coil will be the "current" when you press calculate. Never exceed your battery's continuous discharge rate and allow some safe wiggle room on top of that.

I suggest looking into Micro Coils. This method of coil building is safer and uses higher resistance builds that reportedly give similar results to Sub Ohm.

My blogs which Scarey kindly linked to have a lot of necessary resources of information you should become aware of BEFORE you make your first coil build. Good luck and always vape safely.

Last edited:

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I can't find the continuous current rating for the 18350 efests, and I don't know the specific type.. You'll need to know that to be safe with that setup. Watts=voltage^2 ÷ resistance. Current=voltage÷resistance. Since you may want to look into an optimal power level with your PV, assuming it is a mechanical.. voltage= square root of (watts×resistance).

Put up the battery types if you can't find full specs on your batteries. You need to know that for what you're doing.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I can't find the continuous current rating for the 18350 efests, and I don't know the specific type.. You'll need to know that to be safe with that setup.
I have researched for the continuous discharge amp rating for the 18350 IMR Efests and have gotten wide variations from various sources. Therefore I don't list them in my recommended batteries to use without having reasonably accurate documentation. From my personal experience, Efest is one of those companies that inflates their battery specifications, so I rarely suggest them.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Also, I am just getting my resistance reading with my multimeter by placing the neg on the middle post and the red on the other post?

My :2c:...just be very, very careful until you understand all aspects of rebuilding RBAs. Here's an excellent vid detailing the use of a digital multi tester on vape gear:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread