Status
Not open for further replies.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
If you’re in a smaller town and everyone behaves and stay away from others, you may well be alright. Just don’t ever think “eh, it’ll never happen where I am” because it can. So stick to the basics to keep yourself well, and the rest of the town as well.

My heart breaks for you, and everyone in NYC.

I’m in the corn & beans district, and there is plenty of ‘not gonna happen here’ attitude.

We only have a handful of cases so far, and we’ll likely get away fairly unscathed... but, here where everyone knows everyone else, every case hits home. Everyone has some, if tentative, connection to the person who got sick.

Seems like some people need to see it firsthand before they take it seriously.

I started isolating 3 weeks before the state went on lockdown. I don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Good to hear from you, Eskie, it has been a while, now I understand why. Best to you and yours from the back woods of KY.
:toast:

Yeah, it’s all true. Ambulances backed up without enough room to offload people. ERs overflowing with folks on gurneys lining hallways for days. Multiple people on ventilators in the ER when they need to be in an ICU bed.

The city morgue is full. Refrigerated shipping containers are set up behind the medical Examiners building in the same space they used on 9/11. Now hospitals have them too as it’s too full to move them to the Medical Examiners They have had to build triple stacks like bunks to increase capacity per container to around 110. And it’s not just hospitals where deaths are occurring. On average, there are 25 cardiac arrests that don't make it per day in the city. For the last 4 weeks it’s been 200. The assumption is a good number of those are COVID related deaths, but they don’t test people after they die.

The crematoria in the city are around 2 and a 1/2 weeks behind running full out. In normal circumstances the medical examiner will hold onto a deceased person for 30 to 60 days trying to find family to claim the body. After that, there’s a potter’s field on an island off of the Bronx called Hart’s Island. They normally have burials once a week. Now it’s up to five days a week in double wide trenches that are then covered over. Those are bodies not claimed by family within 15 days. They may well have families but there aren’t resources to keep them past that time.

In the hospitals there is still a major shortage of protective gear. Doctors, nurses, and other staff are becoming ill, some critically on ventilators themselves, and some of those are dying. There have been enough ventilators with some juggling of equipment, but almost all are in use.

Testing remains a problem. If you’re not sick enough to be admitted to the hospital you may not be able to be tested at all, even with the classic symptoms present. They don’t get counted into the case numbers yet, although nursing home cases are now being counted. Estimates are now that every nursing home in NYC have several if not more cases.

Deaths are occurring in the elderly, but there are a good 20% of deaths among under 40 years old. My daughter had a friend she graduated with this past February, around the same age of 25, no known health problems who died. One of her best friend’s father was intubated today. It’s doubtful he will survive the next two days. Her friend, his son, cannot visit as there are not allowing visitors in at all.

I live near 3 hospitals that are caring for many cases as designated to be primary viral illness centers. There was an average of one ambulance siren every 30 minutes or so day and night. They run with lights and sirens just to speed things up for a faster turnaround to go back to work. In the last week it has lightened up to maybe every 30-45 minutes which is an improvement. I live in an independent assisted living facility. About 20 out of 200 are in the hospital with COVID. A friend of mine here died about 10 days ago in the hospital. The owner of a minimart a block away I used to go for small stuff died 3 weeks ago. It’s still closed.

So yes, things in NYC are really that bad. The rest of the country is certainly less than what’s happening here, but there are major cities where it seems to just beginning to pick up. There are also states that are not heavily infected that hopefully will be spared. It’s the extremely high density of NYC that’s been the perfect place for such a major outbreak. Hopefully by May 15th the shelter in place orders will begin to roll back, but I expect it will depend on how things look the beginning of May. There is now an order no one can go out without a mask of some sort, mostly homemade because good luck finding proper masks, if you’ll be somewhere you can’t maintain distance from others, and a requirement on mass transit, taxis and Uber.

There is a fairly large pharmacy chain, Walgreens, by me. They only allow 5 people in the store at one time. You line up outside with markers six feet apart to stand on. The other day it took me 30 minutes to get in. The time before took me an hour. And of course I just had to forget one or two things I wanted to buy. I’ll wait a while before I make another trip.

I’m sorry to paint such a terrible picture of life here, but in time I expect we’ll start to recover. But yeah, the news media isn’t making it up or sensationalizing the situation. It’s legit, and it’s just one day after another.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    thread is so depressing!! gotta change that

Neighbor can't give this virus to me, cause I won't give it to him to give to me.
    Be a good neighbor ........ and stay over there

like-a-good-neighbor-stay-over-there-tshirt-mens-regular-ash.jpg

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Yeah, it’s all true. Ambulances backed up without enough room to offload people. ERs overflowing with folks on gurneys lining hallways for days. Multiple people on ventilators in the ER when they need to be in an ICU bed.

The city morgue is full. Refrigerated shipping containers are set up behind the medical Examiners building in the same space they used on 9/11. Now hospitals have them too as it’s too full to move them to the Medical Examiners They have had to build triple stacks like bunks to increase capacity per container to around 110. And it’s not just hospitals where deaths are occurring. On average, there are 25 cardiac arrests that don't make it per day in the city. For the last 4 weeks it’s been 200. The assumption is a good number of those are COVID related deaths, but they don’t test people after they die.

The crematoria in the city are around 2 and a 1/2 weeks behind running full out. In normal circumstances the medical examiner will hold onto a deceased person for 30 to 60 days trying to find family to claim the body. After that, there’s a potter’s field on an island off of the Bronx called Hart’s Island. They normally have burials once a week. Now it’s up to five days a week in double wide trenches that are then covered over. Those are bodies not claimed by family within 15 days. They may well have families but there aren’t resources to keep them past that time.

In the hospitals there is still a major shortage of protective gear. Doctors, nurses, and other staff are becoming ill, some critically on ventilators themselves, and some of those are dying. There have been enough ventilators with some juggling of equipment, but almost all are in use.

Testing remains a problem. If you’re not sick enough to be admitted to the hospital you may not be able to be tested at all, even with the classic symptoms present. They don’t get counted into the case numbers yet, although nursing home cases are now being counted. Estimates are now that every nursing home in NYC have several if not more cases.

Deaths are occurring in the elderly, but there are a good 20% of deaths among under 40 years old. My daughter had a friend she graduated with this past February, around the same age of 25, no known health problems who died. One of her best friend’s father was intubated today. It’s doubtful he will survive the next two days. Her friend, his son, cannot visit as there are not allowing visitors in at all.

I live near 3 hospitals that are caring for many cases as designated to be primary viral illness centers. There was an average of one ambulance siren every 30 minutes or so day and night. They run with lights and sirens just to speed things up for a faster turnaround to go back to work. In the last week it has lightened up to maybe every 30-45 minutes which is an improvement. I live in an independent assisted living facility. About 20 out of 200 are in the hospital with COVID. A friend of mine here died about 10 days ago in the hospital. The owner of a minimart a block away I used to go for small stuff died 3 weeks ago. It’s still closed.

So yes, things in NYC are really that bad. The rest of the country is certainly less than what’s happening here, but there are major cities where it seems to just beginning to pick up. There are also states that are not heavily infected that hopefully will be spared. It’s the extremely high density of NYC that’s been the perfect place for such a major outbreak. Hopefully by May 15th the shelter in place orders will begin to roll back, but I expect it will depend on how things look the beginning of May. There is now an order no one can go out without a mask of some sort, mostly homemade because good luck finding proper masks, if you’ll be somewhere you can’t maintain distance from others, and a requirement on mass transit, taxis and Uber.

There is a fairly large pharmacy chain, Walgreens, by me. They only allow 5 people in the store at one time. You line up outside with markers six feet apart to stand on. The other day it took me 30 minutes to get in. The time before took me an hour. And of course I just had to forget one or two things I wanted to buy. I’ll wait a while before I make another trip.

I’m sorry to paint such a terrible picture of life here, but in time I expect we’ll start to recover. But yeah, the news media isn’t making it up or sensationalizing the situation. It’s legit, and it’s just one day after another.

I saw glimpses of this, with your shiny posts - but I'm glad you took the time to give us the full picture :wub:

I've got no words to say that will make your situation better. But know that I think of you and your family daily, and I hope the end is in sight for you :wub:

I'm lucky enough to be seeing the other end of the Covid-19 scale. NZ (pop. 4.8million) went into a full lockdown with only 100 confirmed cases. 4 weeks later, we now have 1400 confirmed/probable cases. I'm also grateful we went into lockdown so early, in comparison to other countries.

In my tiny South Canterbury region (pop. 60,000), we have only 14 cases. However everybody is self-isolating and following the guidelines, regardless.

Burn_notice_fan_NY

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 12, 2014
    Ithaca, NY, USA
    I'm in central NY, about 4 hours away from the city. Fortunately my county hasn't been hit hard yet, there are people walking around like it's no big deal. We are in the dead center and my town makes for a perfect place to stop to get gas or food before going on your way to finally reach most other places in NY. It's only a matter of time before it blows up here. So far there are only 32 confirmed positive cases, the county says no deaths... but the online numbers show 1. Fortunately, it looks like our town is having some success right now, we have 26 that have recovered. I think that it's not going to look so good soon though. We even had a few people from the city come to our town to get away. I can understand their rationale, but sadly, not all are wanted visitors. A husband and wife couple moved here for the month and rented a place, because they were bored, they made a music video. The idiots spray painted one of the local churches to make their video.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread